Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
Re: Fells Point/Baltimore Docking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Since it doesn't appear on the map I assume you are correct its not under the Dockmasters juristriction, but how can we conclude that its OK to tie up at Broadway Pier? I don't see the other Fells Point docks on the map either but that's were we're talking about folks being ticketed, correct?
The tickets were being handed out to people tied to the wharfs, not the piers. As far as I know Broadway pier is still fine but the cop seemed more interested in ticketing than following a set of rules. With the attitude he clearly had on display I wouldn't be surprised to see him ticketing randomly. Once ticketed I don't know what rule book you'd point to to say you were in the right.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2013

needsanap is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Fells Point/Baltimore Docking

I am interested in moving my sailboat (34 ft) to Fells Point for the 2014 season. Does anyone have any advice on marinas in the area - we do need a place to park our car when we are on the boat. Also, how long does it take to get to where you can sail? at 5 knots, how long to the bay? Thanks!
Old 09-20-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

I believe Henderson's Wharf, the Anchorage, and Baltimore Marine Center all have parking, though not necessarily anywhere in a 1:1 proportion with the number of slips available. Sailing is possible just about anywhere in the harbor. The middle harbor area off Fells/Canton/Locust Point almost always has some amount of breeze because of the heat island effect of the city, but the buildings can make the wind squirrely. Go a mile out to the outer harbor (between Fort McHenry and the Key Bridge) and you have a great venue for daysailing and beyond the bridge the river gets even wider without a lot of shoal areas to speak of. To reach the bay is about 10 miles from Fells. That was a major reason why after many years of club sailing downtown, when we bought a boat of our own we decided to keep it out near the mouth of the river. Being in Jones Creek or Rock Creek offers the best of both worlds as you can easily get to the bay or the city and the marinas/yacht clubs are much more reasonably priced. That said, I sometimes do miss having the boat a stones throw from all the great restaurants in Canton and Fells though.
Old 09-21-2013
Chesapeake Sailor

We chose Henderson's Wharf when we were in the city because of the great location and ample parking. We love sailing the harbor with everything going on but decided to move because of the several hour trip out to bay to get anywhere else. Assuming nothing changed we'd go back to Henderson's if we came back to Baltimore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(c) Joe McCary.
Old 09-21-2013

needsanap is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. Our son and daughter-in-law have moved to Fell's Point for the next 18 months and would help us use the boat. Their apartment is between Henderson's Wharf and Crescent Marina. We liked the location of several marinas on Rock Creek - quick to the bay, etc. - but thought if we are trying to be close to the kids it might be worth it to be right in Fells Point. We are on the Sassafras now and have 7-8 nm to the bay. - Ten miles would really be a trek for us but once on the bay there are good cruising choices both north and south which might be a change from the Sassafras. Does anyone else in Baltimore do daysailing in the river? Of course my poor daughter - in - law will think we are stalking them (and we are!). We also have a son in Silver Spring who would be more likely to sail if the boat is closer to him than the Sassafras. Thanks so much for all the good advice!
Old 10-07-2013
Chesapeake Sailor

Ticketing update:

Someone posted on ActiveCaptain that they received a warning summons near the Fells Point Bonaparte restaurant on 10/1/13 and were told to move.

(c) Joe McCary.
Old 10-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We are at the Maryland Yacht Club on a Rock Creek. Great location. Immediate sailing out to the Bat. Well protected. Good anchorage area also. Far enough out the Patapsco to not be bothered by commercial vessels.

Worth the extra 20 minute drive as it saves 2 hours to the Bay than Baltimore.

Feel free to PM me

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner