SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Fells Point/Baltimore Docking (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/100567-fells-point-baltimore-docking.html)

GeorgeDog 06-18-2013 10:09 PM

Fells Point/Baltimore Docking

In the past I posted that docking in Fells Point was acceptable along all the public docks regardless of signage, and that was true then. Unfortunately last year one friend received a hefty fine (hundreds of dollars) for tying up to the wharf east of City Pier, and a few weeks later a water cop tried to give me the same at Browns Wharf. In my case I was showing my boat at the invitation of the Fells Point Fun Festival organizers. When the harbormaster intervened the cop acted like he had no authority in the matter claiming an anonymous complaint called in about boats tied up took precedence. Seriously: ticketing boats on official display.

I don't know what the actual policy is but caution is advised.

-Chris

Giantjunk 06-18-2013 10:12 PM

Thanks for the hheads up.

chucklesR 06-18-2013 10:59 PM

Re: Fells Point/Baltimore Docking

If the sign says don't you probably ought not to, unless you have documentation from an authorized source that says (specifically) they will pay the ticket if you get one.

Taking a transient slip is somewhat less expensive than paying a ticket there, and really - why not just anchor out. Marina's need to understand I get a freaking hotel room for the amount they are charging.

GeorgeDog 06-18-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 1045870)
If the sign says don't you probably ought not to, unless you have documentation from an authorized source that says (specifically) they will pay the ticket if you get one.

Taking a transient slip is somewhat less expensive than paying a ticket there, and really - why not just anchor out. Marina's need to understand I get a freaking hotel room for the amount they are charging.

Docking in Fells Point has historically provided great social experiences for us that are not available on the hook. Regarding the signs they harken back to a day that is no longer relevant however...

I'm not trying to understand or judge why people make the choices that they do but simply to provide updated information to help inform those choices.

PalmettoSailor 06-18-2013 11:56 PM

Thanks for the heads up George. Given the neighborhoods close by , I would have been somewhat hesitant to tie up at those docks, but I did have it in the back of my head as an option.

While the Patapsco lacks some in the aesthetics department, its tough to beat Fells Point for shoreside entertainment, so we'll likely make the trek up again this year.

T37Chef 06-19-2013 01:25 AM

Thanks for the notice...I had tied up there many a time, for free. It was always a destination for my guys weekend with my brother and Dad. Bummer

wavedancer38 06-19-2013 11:45 AM

Here is the link to the Baltimore dockmaster with helpful maps as to where to dock. The Broadway Pier in Fells Point is free to dock at, and not under the jurisdiction of the dockmaster.
Docking Locations | Baltimore City Dockmaster's Office

T37Chef 06-19-2013 03:36 PM

nice find thanks for sharing

PalmettoSailor 06-19-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavedancer38 (Post 1046110)
snip... The Broadway Pier in Fells Point is free to dock at, and not under the jurisdiction of the dockmaster.
Docking Locations | Baltimore City Dockmaster's Office

Since it doesn't appear on the map I assume you are correct its not under the Dockmasters juristriction, but how can we conclude that its OK to tie up at Broadway Pier? I don't see the other Fells Point docks on the map either but that's were we're talking about folks being ticketed, correct?

wavedancer38 06-19-2013 04:27 PM

No, the boats weren't ticketed at Broadway pier (from what I gather, since they mentioned Browns Wharf). I was just there about an hour ago, and there are 4 boats at the pier. I am there at least 2-3 times a week, as I work a few blocks away, and there are always boats at Broadway Pier.

UPDATE: I just called the Baltimore Dockmaster and confirmed that they do not oversee Broadway Pier. The pier is actually run by the Comptrollers Office of the Real Estate Division. Yes, this makes no sense! If I find out anything definitive, I will send an update.