Crab Pots in Channels, oh My! - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 06-19-2013
BubbleheadMd's Avatar
Chastened
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewater/Annapolis
Posts: 2,829
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 47 Posts
Rep Power: 5
BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Crab Pots in Channels, oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavedancer38 View Post
We just got back from sailing in the Chesapeake for a week. It amazes me that people continue to put crab pots pretty much anywhere they like, even directly in channels. This was really bad in Bodkin Creek off the Patapsco, and at the entrance to the Rhode River.

Does anyone know who to contact to make this known? Its a hazard when there are several boats trying to stumble their way through these at the same time all going in different directions.

I think there should be a designated area where crab pots are allowed, and it should be marked off.
I live on the Rhode River. You were not quite where you think you were.
When entering the river channel, there are white/orange informational buoys that state "Float Free Channel". Leave the buoys to stbd. This is the channel that you should drive, in order to have a path free of crab pots.

I sailed the river 4 days ago. The float free channel was clear.
__________________
S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 06-20-2013
wavedancer38's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 156
Thanks: 6
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 5
wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Crab Pots in Channels, oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I live on the Rhode River. You were not quite where you think you were.
.
I beg to differ, as I saw what I saw - several other boaters tried to navigate around the pots. It wasn't just us.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 06-20-2013
BubbleheadMd's Avatar
Chastened
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewater/Annapolis
Posts: 2,829
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 47 Posts
Rep Power: 5
BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Crab Pots in Channels, oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavedancer38 View Post
I beg to differ, as I saw what I saw - several other boaters tried to navigate around the pots. It wasn't just us.
Ok, you got me. I lied. There is no float-free channel, marked by bouys.
Whatever.


The two coves in the Rhode River are very popular anchorages and attract many boats from all over the Chesapeake each year. People who are not aware of the float-free channel.

Just because you saw several other ignorant boaters, doesn't make what I said, any less true. You all cut the corner of the float-free channel, by turning to starboard, early. Hence, you found yourself in what I call "the minefield". Once you pass "R2", you need to drive 240 degrees, deep into the West River. You will eventually observe the orange/white marker. Do not turn to stbd to enter the Rhode River, until you are nearly 90 degrees from the mouth of the Rhode River, and red marker "2RR".

Hey don't take my word for it, I just live here.

I'll upload a chart for you and the "Doubting Thomas Society" when I get home from work.
chef2sail and TheTardis like this.
__________________
S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 06-20-2013
WouldaShoulda's Avatar
AEOLUS II
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: From The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 2,719
Thanks: 3
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 6
WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Re: Crab Pots in Channels, oh My!

Don't those Rednecks realize their living is interfering with my fun??

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 06-20-2013
BubbleheadMd's Avatar
Chastened
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewater/Annapolis
Posts: 2,829
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 47 Posts
Rep Power: 5
BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Crab Pots in Channels, oh My!

Try this:

__________________
S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 06-20-2013
travlineasy's Avatar
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,266
Thanks: 3
Thanked 55 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 4
travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Crab Pots in Channels, oh My!

I wrote an article about this about a decade ago for Noreaster Magazine. I interviewed several commercial crabbers who said they lost up to 30 percent of their pots every years to boaters cutting the floats off.

The reason the pots are not in deep water is because the Chesapeake's waters are so polluted that there is not sufficient oxygen beneath a depth of 10 feet in the summer months to support any form of life. Consequently, the crabbers continually move their pots to shallower locations until they become productive - oven in depths as shallow as 5 to 6 feet.

When the water temperature drops below 72 degrees, and oxygen levels increase in deeper water, the crabs begin to migrate toward the channels of rivers and creeks and by early September the females are beginning to start their southern migration to the mouth of the bay where they'll spawn. As the water cools they'll go deeper and deeper, sometimes to depths of 40 to 50 feet as they approach the Virginia line. The commercial crabbers follow the crabs and the pots become more dispersed as fall approaches.

Keep in mind that nearly every form of edible seafood found in Chesapeake Bay has been exploited and depleted by commercial interests to the point where the only thing left that is viable is striped bass and blue crab. Oysters, soft-shell clams, hard-shell clams, several species of finfish and American eel have essentially been wiped out by overfishing. Only stringent regulations placed on striped bass and blue crab have managed to stave off extinction. And, striped bass during the late 1970s were essentially commercially extinct, thus resulting in the historic Striped Bass Moratorium.

Eventually, possibly within the lifetimes of some of our younger forum members, commercial fishing for all forms of marine life will cease to exist - if for nothing else, the salvation of what remains of wild stocks. Currently, there are a dozen aquaculture operations in Southeast Asia where crabs are successfully being propagated. And, because the demand for crab meat is beyond anyone's wildest imagination, U.S. buyers are traveling worldwide in search of new sources. The U.S. crab meat supplies have all but dried up - even in the south east states where crabs were once considered a nuisance to commercial finfish and shrimp netters.

If you see crab pots in a pot free zone, forget calling Maryland DNR - they will not respond. Instead, call the U.S. Coast Guard. The coasties will respond and take appropriate action.

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 06-21-2013
BubbleheadMd's Avatar
Chastened
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewater/Annapolis
Posts: 2,829
Thanks: 0
Thanked 50 Times in 47 Posts
Rep Power: 5
BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Crab Pots in Channels, oh My!

As was said during the Oyster Wars:

"Get it today! To hell with tamar! Leave it till tamar, someone else'll get it."
Which is obviously complete BS, because the stripped bass moratorium helped that species recover. Can you imagine what a two-year moratorium on blue crabs would do?
__________________
S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 06-21-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 2,019
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 9
PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Crab Pots in Channels, oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I wrote an article about this about a decade ago for Noreaster Magazine. I interviewed several commercial crabbers who said they lost up to 30 percent of their pots every years to boaters cutting the floats off.

The reason the pots are not in deep water is because the Chesapeake's waters are so polluted that there is not sufficient oxygen beneath a depth of 10 feet in the summer months to support any form of life. Consequently, the crabbers continually move their pots to shallower locations until they become productive - oven in depths as shallow as 5 to 6 feet.

When the water temperature drops below 72 degrees, and oxygen levels increase in deeper water, the crabs begin to migrate toward the channels of rivers and creeks and by early September the females are beginning to start their southern migration to the mouth of the bay where they'll spawn. As the water cools they'll go deeper and deeper, sometimes to depths of 40 to 50 feet as they approach the Virginia line. The commercial crabbers follow the crabs and the pots become more dispersed as fall approaches.

Keep in mind that nearly every form of edible seafood found in Chesapeake Bay has been exploited and depleted by commercial interests to the point where the only thing left that is viable is striped bass and blue crab. Oysters, soft-shell clams, hard-shell clams, several species of finfish and American eel have essentially been wiped out by overfishing. Only stringent regulations placed on striped bass and blue crab have managed to stave off extinction. And, striped bass during the late 1970s were essentially commercially extinct, thus resulting in the historic Striped Bass Moratorium.

Eventually, possibly within the lifetimes of some of our younger forum members, commercial fishing for all forms of marine life will cease to exist - if for nothing else, the salvation of what remains of wild stocks. Currently, there are a dozen aquaculture operations in Southeast Asia where crabs are successfully being propagated. And, because the demand for crab meat is beyond anyone's wildest imagination, U.S. buyers are traveling worldwide in search of new sources. The U.S. crab meat supplies have all but dried up - even in the south east states where crabs were once considered a nuisance to commercial finfish and shrimp netters.

If you see crab pots in a pot free zone, forget calling Maryland DNR - they will not respond. Instead, call the U.S. Coast Guard. The coasties will respond and take appropriate action.

Cheers,

Gary
Yeah, its sad for those that have a legacy of living off the bounty of the water but history shows they will consistently insist there is nothing wrong with the fishery until there is no more fishery.

There was nothing wrong with Chesapeake Oysters - until there were no more Oysters.

There was nothing wrong with the Atlantic Cod - Until there were no more Atlantic Cod.

Now there is nothing wrong with the Pacific Cod fishery - until it too collapses.

Whatever course of action is taken there will be real life impacts but I'd opt for the course that would preserve our natural resources and hopefully lead to future generations being able to enjoy a managed harvest.
__________________
PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 06-21-2013
Nicklaus's Avatar
sv Cordelia
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 209
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 3
Nicklaus is on a distinguished road
Re: Crab Pots in Channels, oh My!

Thanks for the info on DNR versus the Coast Guard, Gary.

Can't speak to earlier this week, but last week the number of crab pots was really high on the West River. The float free channel was clear, though it is a bit further south than the markers would seem to indicate if you line it up from Thomas Point Light. I'm heading out this afternoon.

What I have noticed is recreational crabbers using lines run right across the main traffic routes near Galesville. I almost ran over one Memorial Day weekend and only saw it when I noticed the boat running it and saw the float 100 feet away.
__________________
Nick S.
sv Cordelia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 06-21-2013
chucklesR's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pasadena Md - Magothy side
Posts: 5,977
Thanks: 10
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 9
chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Crab Pots in Channels, oh My!

Just dodge 'em, or have a long boat hook so you can snatch a free dinner. Cutters on the shaft are not 100% - and having a line wrap on the prop while in < 10 feet of water is a sure way to run aground.

I hate the ones in channels, but even worse is where one pot is so close to the other you have to do tight 90's to dodge 'em all.
__________________
Lessons learned are opportunities earned.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crab pots, schmab Pots...try dodging Icebergs!! sailak General Discussion (sailing related) 20 06-22-2013 05:25 PM
Crab Pots in Rhodes and West Rivers lancelot9898 Chesapeake Bay 9 07-19-2012 11:20 PM
NC, GA River channels deniseO30 Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 14 08-24-2008 10:12 AM
VHF Channels sailortjk1 General Discussion (sailing related) 8 07-30-2008 04:27 PM
VHF Duplex Channels Tom Wood Seamanship Articles 0 08-31-2000 08:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.