Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Crab Pots in Channels, oh My!

I always have a soft spot for the servicemen and the men and women that rely on the seas to earn their living with their hands and knees.

Chesapeake Bay is their work place/office. I am just passing through. If I have to tiptoeing around their office, so be it. Inconvenience is for sure, Dangerous? No, unless you are a moron.

Likewise, I am sure will raise hell if anyone fcck around my office or tell me what to do in my office. This also holds true when it comes to NYC cabbies and the street of New York - stay clear and let them pass.

Hey, that is just me, the old school stuff.
Gladrags1 and Nicklaus like this.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 06-21-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I like people that make their living off the water as long as they are not overfishing it. It just seems like if left to their own devises alot of these fishermen would take everything they can and leave nothing left. I'm not sure they are very good environmental stewards. I was a little kid when some of these environmental laws were being passed and I remember what they did to the dolphins and turtles until laws were passed to stop them. I think if you are making a living from the water you have a different outlook on the water and environment than we sailors do. Maybe to some of them a seal should be shot for stealing from their crab traps where I like seeing the seals and sharing the water with them.

Like the controversy on the Columbia river in Oregon. Alot of salmon fishers dot think the sea lions have a right to be there. So maybe I'm not as fond of some fisherman as I could be.

Some people make their living off the pleasure boating industry too so we are not all only having fun andhave to defer to the fishers right but have our own rights to use the water free of obstructions. You don't have more rights if you are a fisherman than a sailmaker.

Speaking of rights. I should have a right to drop a pot or fish to feed myself but because they took almost everything I could barely catch a salmon. Where is my right to crab in healthy waters instead of paying $25 dollars a pound for their salmon.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 06-21-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2013

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road

We can all live without MD crab meat for a year. We need to give the Bay time to restore itself. Farmers plant seeds and harvest their own plants. Crabbers only remove what is in the environment without replenishing it , like loggers and coal miners. They just remove things fom our environment without replenishing. We need to go out of our way to avoid crab pots, since they give no consideration to other boaters. I should not have to create a HUGE arc or detour to get into a channel. We sail, as a slow moing vessel, its inconvenient to have navigate way off course to get into a channel, especially if the winds are not favorable to that tack.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 06-21-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
Yeah, its sad for those that have a legacy of living off the bounty of the water but history shows they will consistently insist there is nothing wrong with the fishery until there is no more fishery.

There was nothing wrong with Chesapeake Oysters - until there were no more Oysters.

There was nothing wrong with the Atlantic Cod - Until there were no more Atlantic Cod.

Now there is nothing wrong with the Pacific Cod fishery - until it too collapses.

Whatever course of action is taken there will be real life impacts but I'd opt for the course that would preserve our natural resources and hopefully lead to future generations being able to enjoy a managed harvest.
Just imagine how clean the bay would be if they had not all but wiped the oysters out
wavedancer38 likes this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-22-2013
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

I think we need to respect the crabber's livelihood. He has a very hard job which is diminishing every year. Yes, the crab pots are annoying but the crabber has th put his pots out to make his living.

I agree that there is a problem with overfishing. That is where government regulation comes into play. It levels the playing field so all crabbers have the same restrictions. It would be nice to have a years moratorium on fishing crab but what is the crabber to do for money that year? Md has a sensible plan to bring back the crab. The crabbers fought it but they weren't looking at the problem with clear heads, just fearing their immediate future. I would love to see crabs and oysters restored to healthy numbers. Once restored, that would mean more pots and poles marking oyster grounds though.

Tod
chef2sail likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-22-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
I think we need to respect the crabber's livelihood. He has a very hard job which is diminishing every year. Yes, the crab pots are annoying but the crabber has th put his pots out to make his living.

I agree that there is a problem with overfishing. That is where government regulation comes into play. It levels the playing field so all crabbers have the same restrictions. It would be nice to have a years moratorium on fishing crab but what is the crabber to do for money that year? Md has a sensible plan to bring back the crab. The crabbers fought it but they weren't looking at the problem with clear heads, just fearing their immediate future. I would love to see crabs and oysters restored to healthy numbers. Once restored, that would mean more pots and poles marking oyster grounds though.

Tod
In the case of oysters there would have to be seeding of oyster beds in protected areas. In the case of the crabs (not that kind) you would have to close off certain areas for a few years at a time in order to allow the population to replenish itself. I would be all for that, as long as it was done using good data and the crabbers were given some places to fish that were not off limits. Crab move, they migrate, so you have to seed them in an area and hope they return regularly to the area, oysters not so much on the moving.
Old 06-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavedancer38 View Post
We need to go out of our way to avoid crab pots, since they give no consideration to other boaters. I should not have to create a HUGE arc or detour to get into a channel. We sail, as a slow moing vessel, its inconvenient to have navigate way off course to get into a channel, especially if the winds are not favorable to that tack.
That's a HUGE exaggeration. Having sailed on the Bay for many years AI look at the crab pots as nothing more than moving obstructions.

This really has nothing to do with overfishing, you think you have the right away and it should be unimpeded. If you cant handle sailing with the crab pots, and don't want to INCONVIENENCE yourself maybe you should give up sailing and sit on the bank.

You have no more right to the water than the crabbers do. We coexist with them, not dominate them.
mark2gmtrans likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-22-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
That's a HUGE exaggeration. Having sailed on the Bay for many years AI look at the crab pots as nothing more than moving obstructions.

This really has nothing to do with overfishing, you think you have the right away and it should be unimpeded. If you cant handle sailing with the crab pots, and don't want to INCONVIENENCE yourself maybe you should give up sailing and sit on the bank.

You have no more right to the water than the crabbers do. We coexist with them, not dominate them.
I have only sailed in the Chesapeake a few times, and when I did it was to into a dock near Annapolis and eat, fuel, and then leave again. I never thought twice about going around the few pots that I did see, mostly because they were not much in the way. I have no idea how it is now, but in the early 90's when I used to get up that way every now and then it was fine. I like to eat the crabs, I like to eat the oysters, and I like to eat fish, if I complain and whine and moan about how the fisherman who feeds me is ruining my life the poor guy may get run out of business by the government. Then if I want seafood I will have to eat the stuff that comes in frozen from overseas, and is not as good as what you have there.

Stop whining, not you Chef, the others, get along with the crabbers, the shrimpers, the fishermen, the oystermen, and all of the other sailors who work to help you have a great lunch when you go to places like the Severn Inn, or other places up that way. In the end we all love the sea, it is part of our lives, we appreciate one another, and if you are in trouble on the water those same guys you are whining about will come out to look for you if you are lost in a storm, or tow you to shore, usually for free, if you have issues.

Chef, I know you like to eat the crabs, email me some haha.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 06-22-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

It's not sailors who do the most whining but fishermen, who after years of overfishing sometimes whine about how tough it is to feed their families. Well...then time to find a different job.

I've heard some of you work at desks, in offices, working with computers. Say you work at a technology company that makes VCR's. Well not many people buy VCR's anymore. Do you have the government subsidize the VCR industry or do you do something else. Maybe start making DVD players.

And we a share the water but sharing means you don't interfere with one another. This isn't the first time I've heard complaints about crab pots. If we all anchored in the channel making it difficult for crabbers to drop traps we would hear alot worse from them.

And not all of us are eating at the Severn inn out here. Some of us woe rather catch the fish or crabs ourselves but we can hardly do that so they are not sharing.
Old 06-22-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavedancer38 View Post
We just got back from sailing in the Chesapeake for a week. It amazes me that people continue to put crab pots pretty much anywhere they like, even directly in channels. This was really bad in Bodkin Creek off the Patapsco, and at the entrance to the Rhode River.

Does anyone know who to contact to make this known? Its a hazard when there are several boats trying to stumble their way through these at the same time all going in different directions.

I think there should be a designated area where crab pots are allowed, and it should be marked off.
Waaaaaah, waaaaaah, waaaah.....

BTW in Maine there are no "lobster pot free" zones...Tends to keep the yahoo's away...
chef2sail likes this.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.