Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Crab Pots in Channels, oh My!

I think there is enough water out there for everyone to enjoy and work. I sail in the area people are talking about and do not find it difficult to avoid the pots. I admit that Rhode River entrance is a bit more annoying but one must deal with it.

As far as the fishing / crabbing industry; it seems to be in a state of flux. The crabbers who live on the eastern shore have much less opportunity for re-training. There just isn't any industry. You either farm the land or farm the sea. The crabbers on the western shore have more opportunities. Government should regulate the catch limits and provide re-training incentives. That becomes a political football in a Congress that is so deadlocked that they don't know which end is up. It doesn't seem to matter what helps the people...

Lets not digress into a political conversation though.
chef2sail likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Waaaaaah, waaaaaah, waaaah.....

BTW in Maine there are no "lobster pot free" zones...Tends to keep the yahoo's away...
I was actually waiting for your post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-23-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I'd like to make a confession:

Yesterday evening, I departed for Annapolis for an evening distance race. The crab pots have completely spilled into the navigable channel, far beyond the "float free channel" markers. Now, there is no clear path through them. The river looks pretty much as Maine Sail posted.

So it would seem that I owe Wavedancer an apology.

I agree with the Chefs that we should attempt to peacefully co-exist with the watermen, and not dominate them, but can anyone explain to me why it is acceptable to blockade a marked, navigable waterway? Why shouldn't there be a clear path through a marked channel?

Imagine if the NRP or the USCG had to make a rapid passage through the river at night, to assist a vessel or render medical aid, and fouled their props. How would you feel then?

There should be some semblance of balance here.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-23-2013

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
Just imagine how clean the bay would be if they had not all but wiped the oysters out
You are so, so, so, true. There was a PBS special on this.
Old 06-23-2013

Bubblehead MD, thanks for the apology. We saw something similar on the approach to the Bodkin yesterday. I agree Rhode River itself is clear, but they put all the pots right up against that first marker to the approach of the channel. I agree we all need to live harmoniously, but we all have to navigate around the crabbers, and i dont feel they give any respect to the boaters. They can completely surround the area until a first marker, which is close to the first shoal.
Old 06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavedancer38 View Post
Bubblehead MD, thanks for the apology. We saw something similar on the approach to the Bodkin yesterday. I agree Rhode River itself is clear, but they put all the pots right up against that first marker to the approach of the channel. I agree we all need to live harmoniously, but we all have to navigate around the crabbers, and i dont feel they give any respect to the boaters. They can completely surround the area until a first marker, which is close to the first shoal.
I do not agree at all. I frequent the area around the Bodkin as I keep my boat in Rock Creek. Yes there are crab pots there. You exaggerate greatly about their numbers.No they are not in the channel at all. Yes crab pots are a way of life sailing on the Chesapeake. They are always in shallower water?

I don't let them bother me or ruin my boating as you appear to and quite frankly am more concerned about the trash in the water from runoff at treet ends and boaters throwing it on t.

Quite frankly I find it interesting that someone with an industucsble non bio degrading large fiberglass hull coated with a toxic bottom paint, loaded with an engine, stainless steel and a holding tank should be in any position to give environmental lessons about crab harvesting.

I also find it interesting You think people earning a living should be banned or restricted so you can have recreational enjoyment anywhere you want to.

Excuse my bluntness but stop worrying about it and just enjoy yourself. You made your point.
jak3b likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-24-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I dunno about Bodkin Creek, but this is the largest expansion of the crab pot field that I've seen in the river that I've seen in 4 years.

I won't argue about whether or not it's correct. I will confess to a little confusion though. Why mark a float-free channel at all, if we don't want to impede the watermen's livelihood, and don't plan on enforcing the rule?
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

I don't let them bother me or ruin my boating as you appear to...

Excuse my bluntness but stop worrying about it and just enjoy yourself. You made your point.
Chef2Sail, I failed to mention that I am a woman. And not as seasoned a sailor as some of the "gentleman" on this board appear to be, hence my concern. It does not ruin my boating, just makes me nervous, as I try to maneuver my husband's boat around them.

Stacey
Old 06-24-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Carb pots have been a large pain since I moved here in 1969, but I love eating crabs. I remember being taught at a young age to NEVER EVER try and save a trap if you catch one. You do NOT want to be caught with a trap on your deck trying to "fix the line", aka eat the crabs. I can't say they are any worse now than in 1970. What IS bad is the trotliners on the Chester. They will set up 1/4-1/2 miles of line across the rivers and creeks and get irate if you come near them.

In other news, at least one enterprising crabber discovered if you put crab pots full of cash near the freighters in the anchorage, a night or two later you'll have traps full of drugs

Last edited by Coquina; 06-24-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavedancer38 View Post
Chef2Sail, I failed to mention that I am a woman. And not as seasoned a sailor as some of the "gentleman" on this board appear to be, hence my concern. It does not ruin my boating, just makes me nervous, as I try to maneuver my husband's boat around them.

Stacey
Ha....my wife is a woman also and she maneuvers the boat around them. Crab pots are not gender specific. The more practice you get the better you will get at handling them until they no longer bother you. Just relax about them and be aware of them that's all.

Some day you may need a crabber to help you.

I guess we are just so used to dealing with them that its just a price for sailing. We know where they place large amounts of them and are aware of that.

We take Haleakula to the LI Sound every summer for 3 weeks and the sight of the lobster pots in the deep waters is intimidating. Especially knowing that a lobster trap can weigh 50 lbs. vs. the crab traps which are light.

The trick to avoiding the ones around Bodkin, unless you are headed in Bodkin Creek itself, is to stay outside a line drawn between the GRBC markers and the G1 markers. They are rarely outside that line.

Also remembers the crabber usually lays the traps in a line.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-