Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Lewis DE to Cape Charles VA

I have been off and on thinking about doing something WAY out of the ordinary. I was going to trailer my dinghy to Lewes and spend 2-3 days getting to Cape Charles. I can run the dinghy at 16-20 knots and it needs maybe 2 feet of water. Has anyone ever been in the channels and canals? Obviously with a sailboat every trip I have ever done along here has been out in the Atlantic. The boat is a 12 foot Avon RIB - fairly seaworthy as far as dinghies go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Lewis DE to Cape Charles VA

Joe, I have to ask...why? Are you planning to sleep aboard the dinghy? Are you just going along the ICW? What's your plan for bathroom breaks? Have you factored in the slow-speed/no wake zones? Seems like it would be a lot more fun to do the trip on something more comfortable, but that's just me.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 06-25-2013

mltroy is on a distinguished road

Can you portage the dink? The marked channel is no longer open.

See the entries in Steve Earley's blog from when he attempted to complete his Delmarva circumnavigation this spring.

The Log of Spartina: the one and done 22.8
and
The Log of Spartina: the channel, the timeline and a no-name storm
Old 06-25-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Absolutly this could be done. I went around the Delmava 3 times in a Stiletto 27, which is a 1500-pound cat that can motor about 10 knots when loaded. I ran a good bit of inner passage and some outside. This is what I would do... probably.

* Inside from Lewis to Indian River. Maybe camp there or maybe run on down to Assateague. Maybe I'd run some outside, near the beach, depending on the wave dirrection.
* Inside of Assateague. More interesting than outside anyway. Stay at the Anchor Inn in Chicoteague (free boat tie-up and you'll need the shower).
* Wait for nice weather and run outside to Watchapreage.
* Inside to Cobb Island. Winding but very nice. Awsome. Camp somewhere.
* Inside to Cape Charles. There is a ramp on the VIP near the sothern end.

Lots of fuel. Cell phone, VHF, and perhaps SPOT. Oars. Camping gear. And a sense of adventure. At least do the southern part of the trip; it is once-in-lifetime beautiful inside.

Sail Delmarva: Trip Report - 2010 Delmarva Circumnavigation

I never ran the inside portion from Chincoteague to Watchapreague as I had been told it came and went.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 06-25-2013

This is NOT the ICW. At least from Ocean City south it is a seldom visited area that is actually the largest wild area left on the Atlantic coast. Anything too much bigger than a dinghy just won't fit back there. This is more kayacking water than anything. I was going to pick a midpoint or two with an inn or campground. Sleeping in the dinghy is a bit rough for my taste. I could find a better boat, but then again I don't want to buy a boat for one trip.

I figure I can pee off the side of the boat for a bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Joe, I have to ask...why? Are you planning to sleep aboard the dinghy? Are you just going along the ICW? What's your plan for bathroom breaks? Have you factored in the slow-speed/no wake zones? Seems like it would be a lot more fun to do the trip on something more comfortable, but that's just me.

Old 06-25-2013

Thanks for the advice!
I was thinking of maybe starting at Ocean City. I don't know if the "urban" experience north of there is worth the gas. As for the disapearing channel, I think the boat draws less than two feet with the motor all the way down and less than a foot in rowing/shallow drive configuration. Is it too shallow for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Absolutly this could be done. I went around the Delmava 3 times in a Stiletto 27, which is a 1500-pound cat that can motor about 10 knots when loaded. I ran a good bit of inner passage and some outside. This is what I would do... probably.

* Inside from Lewis to Indian River. Maybe camp there or maybe run on down to Assateague. Maybe I'd run some outside, near the beach, depending on the wave dirrection.
* Inside of Assateague. More interesting than outside anyway. Stay at the Anchor Inn in Chicoteague (free boat tie-up and you'll need the shower).
* Wait for nice weather and run outside to Watchapreage.
* Inside to Cobb Island. Winding but very nice. Awsome. Camp somewhere.
* Inside to Cape Charles. There is a ramp on the VIP near the sothern end.

Lots of fuel. Cell phone, VHF, and perhaps SPOT. Oars. Camping gear. And a sense of adventure. At least do the southern part of the trip; it is once-in-lifetime beautiful inside.

Sail Delmarva: Trip Report - 2010 Delmarva Circumnavigation

I never ran the inside portion from Chincoteague to Watchapreague as I had been told it came and went.

Old 06-26-2013

mltroy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
Thanks for the advice!
As for the disapearing channel, I think the boat draws less than two feet with the motor all the way down and less than a foot in rowing/shallow drive configuration. Is it too shallow for that?
Joe, Follow the links I posted above. There are photos, a good description and some satellite photos of what they found and some local knowledge from the fisherman they spoke to. The channel was completely blocked. Their boat is a flat bottomed sharpie with a centerboard. Steve, who writes the blog, is a nice guy who would probably be willing to answer questions.

Mary Lou
Rock Hall, MD