SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Baby Barnacles (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/100815-baby-barnacles.html)

Jeff_H 06-26-2013 09:06 AM

Baby Barnacles

DRFerron had mentioned that a number of boats in her eastern shore marina have had an extraordinary growth of baby barnacles, so I asked the diver who cleans Synergy's bottom if he has noticed anything out of the ordinary. He reported seeing a bumper crop of baby barnacles this year as well.

I thought it would be interesting to see whether anyone else has noticed this phenomina. I would like to pass this info to the MD DNR to see whether they are aware of this.

Thanks
Jeff

chef2sail 06-26-2013 09:29 AM

Re: Baby Barnacles

Our diver mentioned the same thing 3 weeks ago

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_H (Post 1049892)
DRFerron had mentioned that a number of boats in her eastern shore marina have had an extraordinary growth of baby barnacles, so I asked the diver who cleans Synergy's bottom if he has noticed anything out of the ordinary. He reported seeing a bumper crop of baby barnacles this year as well.

I thought it would be interesting to see whether anyone else has noticed this phenomina. I would like to pass this info to the MD DNR to see whether they are aware of this.

Thanks
Jeff

jimgo 06-26-2013 09:43 AM

I wonder if that is a good thing or a bad thing regarding the health of the bay.

Jeff_H 06-26-2013 09:55 AM

I have no idea whether this is good news or bad news from an ecological standpoint. There are a couple theories floating around about why this may be happening. Donna mentioned that a couple folks, who happen to be scientists, observed that there has been a PH change in the water where she is. I noticed that Martin's Cove has not frozen over in two years and it normally freezes over for 2 to 5 weeks in winter. On the flip side, the water was colder later in the spring than usual. I have no idea whether either or all are related to the baby barnacles.

Jeff

chucklesR 06-26-2013 09:58 AM

I'm calling a diver today, but frankly my bottom is so fouled I doubt he'd notice a few babies hiding with the giants.

DRFerron 06-26-2013 10:00 AM

It starts with a brown slime line at the waterline. That's the first sign of trouble. If you get the slime off immediately, the barnacles don't attach themselves. If you don't remove the slime the barnacles attach themselves to it and start happily living under your boat.

These barnacles are not hard to remove and they don't leave the foot behind like the bigger barnacles, but there is still a definite reduction in your boat's speed.

At first our marina manager suspected defective bottom paint and had the paint rep at the marina. My slip neighbors are scientists and pay attention to stuff like the pH of the water and they said that in the time these barnacles started appearing, the pH changed from what was normal.

They took pictures when their boat was hauled and it looks scary, especially considering the short amount of time it took for them to appear.

4arch 06-26-2013 10:10 AM

I launched in early April after having painted the bottom with two coats of a premium copper ablative. The bottom has not been cleaned since. Normally after 2 1/2 months I would expect to see slime and little to no hard growth, but I went swimming while at anchor this weekend and was alarmed at how much hard growth was forming on especially on the aft quarters and on top of the rudder.

jimgo 06-26-2013 10:59 AM

Donna, did they say whether the pH changed before the barnacles appeared or only after? It would be interesting to see if they have enough data to show whether the pH is a cause (or at least an indicator) or whether it is the result of the barnacles.

DRFerron 06-26-2013 11:16 AM

They definitely didn't say that the pH change was a result of the barnacles. They seemed to think that the barnacles were a result of the change in pH and maybe other factors as well. I don't remember exactly when they splashed but all of us were late getting in and they discovered it the end of May so they hadn't been in the water long.

BubbleheadMd 06-26-2013 11:26 AM

I dove on my boat last Saturday to clean the hull prior to a race. I observed this as well. They all were removed simply by wiping them off with my carwash mitt, but they were definitely there.

Uncool. :mad: