SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   The Best of the Bay - 2013 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/100976-best-bay-2013-a.html)

aa3jy 07-01-2013 03:12 PM

The Best of the Bay - 2013

The annual selection of the Chesapeake Bay magazine..

Best of the Bay 2013

Clay AA3JY
s/v 'Tango'
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River, Md.

DRFerron 07-01-2013 03:41 PM

Re: The Best of the Bay - 2013

I love Rock Hall, but year after year I am amazed that it is listed so high on the "Best Town for Foodies" category.

T37Chef 07-01-2013 07:50 PM

Congrats to Rockhall for such a great showing in so many categories.

Baltimore should be at the top of the list for food on the northern bay IMO...just for places in Fells Point/ Canton alone

chef2sail 07-01-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 1052886)
Congrats to Rockhall for such a great showing in so many categories.

Baltimore should be at the top of the list for food on the northern bay IMO...just for places in Fells Point/ Canton alone

Agreed...and Little Italy like La Scala.

Having Rock Hall or Annpolis at the top makes me think the review is either influenced by commercial interests or was done by people who think A Big Mac is fine inning French food.:).

4arch 07-01-2013 08:17 PM

Baltimore always gets the short end of the stick on these things. It's becoming one of the better food towns on the eastern seaboard, let alone the bay. A few of the best restaurants are even within walking distance of marinas. I have a feeling a lot of the respondents either haven't been here or haven't gotten past the chain restaurants at the inner harbor.

I also found a couple of the other results pretty funny. The Rock Hall pirates weekend ranked as best annual waterfront event - really!? It's better than the boat show? And GPS is more "essential" than a depthsounder on the Chesapeake? :rolleyes:

DRFerron 07-01-2013 08:29 PM

I think they should break it down by population. Say, Best Town for Foodies-Small Town and Best Town for Foodies - City. Or something like that. That means Norfolk, Baltimore, DC, etc will be ranked amongst themselves.

That said, there are two excellent restaurants in Rock Hall in my opinion, but the overall town still should not be ranked higher than Baltimore.

Gratitude Yachting Center is listed in one of the best service categories. They were a charter company and brokerage. They didn't service boats at all. Gratitude marina and some others did their service work.

WouldaShoulda 07-02-2013 03:27 PM

Best Town to Bring Out-of-Town Guests
1. Annapolis, Md.
2. St. Michaels, Md.
3. Rock Hall, Md.
4. Smithfield, Va.
5. Baltimore, Md.

Would those be Chinese guests?? ;)

Nicklaus 07-02-2013 04:17 PM

My impression of the list is that the biggest / most well-known places usually win out. The magazine is geared toward the Annapolis crowd because that's where most of the advertisers are. Therefore Annapolis wins a lot, followed by areas that people from Annapolis visit on the weekends.

Not a good thing or a bad thing. Just a thing. Though it would be great to find some off the beaten path options. Guess that's where Sailnet comes into play.

T37Chef 07-02-2013 08:40 PM

Does anybody know what the criteria is for these catagories?

Best Town for families is Rockhall, based on what?
Best Town for Foodies is Annapolis? What about DC or Baltimore?

This list is joke!

chef2sail 07-02-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 1053564)
Does anybody know what the criteria is for these catagories?

Best Town for families is Rockhall, based on what?
Best Town for Foodies is Annapolis? What about DC or Baltimore?

This list is joke!

Totally agree. For instance take the category Woulda posted. Why would Rock Hall ever be the place to bring out of town guests over Baltimore. There is so much to do in Baltimore from the Inner harbor and the Pride of Baltimore, to Camden Yards, the museums and galleries and the varied multitude of good restaurants, bar, Fells. Point , Canton, the concerts on Pier 6, OP sail, Ft McHenry, fireworks

That's vrs a Pirates Festival average couple of restaurants and crickets. I could understand Rock Hall winning a quiet town award but not a place too bring out of town guests. Nick may be right about the advertising. Maybe the judges lived in Rock Hall.

Dave