Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013

wavedancer38 is on a distinguished road
Bumper Boats in Annapolis

Hi,
We went to Annapolis for the fireworks. As could have been predicted, there was not a slip or mooring to be had...and we got there around 2pm. We kinda figured that would happen, so we weren't surprised. So we ended up anchoring out, and yes, it was choppy. Lots and lots of boats, as can be imagined.

Trouble started when the power boats showed up after 6pm or so. They seemed not be able to anchor. One boat drifted and ran into another small power boat, and then a sailboat. The poor man in the sailboat had to hang off his bowsprit to shove the boat off his, only to get the anchor lines tangled.

That power boat tried another two times, hitting other boats each time. He seemed not to know he was dragging. He did finally get the anchor to catch. Unfortunately, a larger power boat then caught his anchor line. But this larger boat did not know it, and started to motor away, as he "towed" the smaller boat away.

All this was just in the area around our own boat. I am sure other chaos was happening. So, glad we went, but would not do it again! Even the water taxi almost hit another boat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: Bumper Boats in Annapolis

I hate to make light of this - but
We learned long ago to NEVER try and watch the fireworks without getting there early. We were safe on a mooring by 1300 Wednesday. I did run through the fleet in my dinghy to find friends anchored out and had to dodge about 6 unlit kayacks and one black hulled steel small freighter/suplly boat thing with no lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-08-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I agonized over whether to anchor off of Annapolis for the show. In the end, I wussed out and it seems that it was the right decision.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 07-08-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Not surprisingly, the holidays really bring out all the Neanderthals!

It is not just exclusive of power boaters, although they seem to be the worse offenders. Sunday I observed a Captain trying to put his Passport 44 into the slip in 10-15 knot winds creating a lot of havoc around the basin. He claimed a fouled prop, well then ask for some help or consider another place to tie up for the night. But moreover he seemed to just not understand how to approach his slip. No lines out, in this case a spring line would have assisted him in a pivot around a piling or at least it would have stopped him from crashing into several others. Although it seemed there was little or no damage to anyone else's boat. While I understand we all have a bad day once and while, and feel for the guy because it is really embarrassing when it happens, maybe some better decisions could have been made prior to attempting to dock.

As for those PB idiots in Annapolis, I don't get the need for everyone to head to these places to see just one show when you could choose a spot where much more could be observed It's just not worth the risk for me anymore. I doubt I will ever try to see fireworks from a boat in a place like Annapolis unless I'm in a marina or ashore...too many knuckleheads! It gets even worse once the shows are over and the world is heading back in the dark, probably after consuming some beverage of choice.

I wont disclose publicly anymore our spot where you can see multiple shows all weekend It was awesome!

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Last edited by DRFerron; 07-08-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2013

Annapolis is fanastic on the 4th - *IF* you get there early enough to have a mooring and are not trying to go anyplace that night.

Old 07-08-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Not surprising, the holidays really bring out all the Neanderthals!

Our spot I wont disclose anymore public ally anymore, where you can see multiple shows all weekend It was awesome!
Yep! The same reason(s) I don't disclose my location(s) on major holiday weekends..

Clay
s/v 'Tango'
Lankford Bay Marina
Old 07-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I am with Shawn ( I know your spot too )/ We also like to watch multiple fireworks and usually choose a spot to do so far from the maddening crowd and idiot boaters.

We have toured the Upper/ Middle Chesapeake and seen fireworks many places. Rock Hall, St Michaels, Eastern Shore, Annapolis, Middle River and Baltimore.

Baltimore's is in a class above all the others and surpassed only by the one in Washington DC.

Annapolis is no better than the others with the exception of all the crazies and to be in Annapolis. I guess that's the spectacle itself and the happening. The safest place to watch there is on the grounds of the Naval Academy near the seawall. If I ever go back to watch the Annapolis ones I would go to Whitehall Bay.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-08-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

I foolishly accepted an offer to go see the fireworks one July 4th on a friend's power boat. Little did I know she had never operated the boat before, or any boat, for that matter.

We managed just fine until we tried to get back in the dark, surrounded by a hundred other power boats making for home. She did not know right of way rules, or how to navigate at night. We took so much water from passing wakes that several times I thought we might go under. We narrowly escaped being stuck out all night, lost on the lake -- no GPS -- someone else on the boat spotted a landmark that indicated our turn home, which she was just about to fly past in the dark.

I watched this year from my boat in the slip. If I ever sail on the 4th, I'll make sure to be somewhere safe when the powerboaters head for home.
Old 07-08-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Did the Annapolis by boat evening. Had a large Hatteras anchor too close. Saw a guy trying to SAIL a Hunter 40 to a spot to anchor in the middle of the fleet, a PB drifting through the fleet with his outboard running as the show was underway. The short motor back to Chesapeake Harbour was tense. WOuld go the mooring route if I do it again.
Old 07-08-2013

We saw more unique, odd, interesting, and scary boats in a few hours than you could normally see in a year. There was a real live paddlewheeler, a barge fitted out with party tents and tables, kayackers of every type ranging from lit up like a christmas tree to stealth mode, paddle boarders with those LED headlamps from the camping store, and a big steel freight boat painted pitch black with no lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I am with Shawn ( I know your spot too )/ We also like to watch multiple fireworks and usually choose a spot to do so far from the maddening crowd and idiot boaters.

We have toured the Upper/ Middle Chesapeake and seen fireworks many places. Rock Hall, St Michaels, Eastern Shore, Annapolis, Middle River and Baltimore.

Baltimore's is in a class above all the others and surpassed only by the one in Washington DC.

Annapolis is no better than the others with the exception of all the crazies and to be in Annapolis. I guess that's the spectacle itself and the happening. The safest place to watch there is on the grounds of the Naval Academy near the seawall. If I ever go back to watch the Annapolis ones I would go to Whitehall Bay.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.