Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries - Page 3 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 08-21-2013
chef2sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,042
Thanks: 30
Thanked 57 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 8
chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
As far as I can tell, bottom paint was a total waste of money for everyone. The barnacles seem to LIKE it this year.
We've had no problem with our painted areas and this is the third season for Ultima 60

Now the prop and shaft are a different story
T37Chef likes this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #22  
Old 08-22-2013
BubbleheadMd's Avatar
Chastened
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewater/Annapolis
Posts: 2,993
Thanks: 1
Thanked 58 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 6
BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries

My Micron Extra is still keeping them off of the hull. Just some slime.
As Dave says, my running gear was heavily fouled, and I lost over 1 knot of boat speed.

I used Petit Zinc spray on the running gear two YEARS ago, so I wasn't at all surprised to have to dive and scrape all the running gear.
__________________
S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #23  
Old 08-22-2013
travlineasy's Avatar
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,516
Thanks: 3
Thanked 72 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 4
travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries

Sorry guys and gals, but not blue crab larvae - wrong time of year, wrong place, wrong everything. The more likely scenario is they are grass shrimp larvae, which are quite prevalent in the middle and lower bay, and frequently inhabit the shallows and reside among the marina pilings.

Blue crabs spawn near the mouth of Chesapeake Bay, mainly in a vast area near Cape Charles, VA, a location where until recent years the sponged females were targeted by commercial crab draggers and sold to the picking market. The eggs were merely ripped off the crab and tossed in the trash at the picking houses, while the meat was Pasteurized and canned. Because the crabs were dragged from beneath the bottom in areas consisting of sandy mud, the meat was frequently contaminated with grit from the sand.

Crabs grow very rapidly after hatching. Much faster than anyone can imagine. The females only live about a year and a few months, while the males often live two years. The females migrate down the bay beginning in early September, and for years many of the Crisfield commercial fleets targeted them for local picking houses. The harvest was beyond a doubt one of the things that led to the species incredible decline, but legislation to protect blue crabs, like most natural resource legislation, became a political football, prompting a huge number of meaningless, action-delaying studies that lasted more than two decades. Consequently, the stocks nearly collapsed before minor harvest restrictions were put in place, and as usual, the restrictions mainly targeted what is referred to as "Chicken Neckers", recreation crabbers using collapsible crab traps and handlines baited with chicken necks. DNR made the ridiculous claim that recreational crabbers harvest as many, if not more crabs, than the commercial crabbers.

Back to the critters. There are lots of neat things swimming, squirming and crawling around on the Chesapeake's hard and semi-hard substrate, some of which you can readily see with the naked eye, but there's lots of more that you can only visualize with the aid of a large magnifying glass or microscope. The vast majority of these critters are various forms of zoo-planktons, which will really get your undivided attention.



Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #24  
Old 08-22-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 938
Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 9
aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Re: Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Sorry guys and gals, but not blue crab larvae - wrong time of year, wrong place, wrong everything. The more likely scenario is they are grass shrimp larvae, which are quite prevalent in the middle and lower bay, and frequently inhabit the shallows and reside among the marina pilings.

Blue crabs spawn near the mouth of Chesapeake Bay, mainly in a vast area near Cape Charles, VA, a location where until recent years the sponged females were targeted by commercial crab draggers and sold to the picking market. The eggs were merely ripped off the crab and tossed in the trash at the picking houses, while the meat was Pasteurized and canned. Because the crabs were dragged from beneath the bottom in areas consisting of sandy mud, the meat was frequently contaminated with grit from the sand.

Crabs grow very rapidly after hatching. Much faster than anyone can imagine. The females only live about a year and a few months, while the males often live two years. The females migrate down the bay beginning in early September, and for years many of the Crisfield commercial fleets targeted them for local picking houses. The harvest was beyond a doubt one of the things that led to the species incredible decline, but legislation to protect blue crabs, like most natural resource legislation, became a political football, prompting a huge number of meaningless, action-delaying studies that lasted more than two decades. Consequently, the stocks nearly collapsed before minor harvest restrictions were put in place, and as usual, the restrictions mainly targeted what is referred to as "Chicken Neckers", recreation crabbers using collapsible crab traps and handlines baited with chicken necks. DNR made the ridiculous claim that recreational crabbers harvest as many, if not more crabs, than the commercial crabbers.

Back to the critters. There are lots of neat things swimming, squirming and crawling around on the Chesapeake's hard and semi-hard substrate, some of which you can readily see with the naked eye, but there's lots of more that you can only visualize with the aid of a large magnifying glass or microscope. The vast majority of these critters are various forms of zoo-planktons, which will really get your undivided attention.



Cheers,

Gary
..guess you'll have to dive on your own boat's bottom sometime and make a informed observation... 'cause the images you attached are not what I saw first hand as well as picked off my body..

Last edited by aa3jy; 08-22-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #25  
Old 08-23-2013
WouldaShoulda's Avatar
AEOLUS II
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: From The Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 2,810
Thanks: 3
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 7
WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Re: Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries

I am never, NEVER getting into the water ever again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #26  
Old 08-23-2013
T37Chef's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,322
Thanks: 74
Thanked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Rep Power: 9
T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We've had no problem with our painted areas and this is the third season for Ultima 60

Now the prop and shaft are a different story
Same here except for some growth at the waterline, although my prop is not that bad, but the shaft is coated...as of three weeks ago with little use since then
__________________
Cheers,
Shawn & the crew of S/V Windgeist

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #27  
Old 08-24-2013
mad_machine's Avatar
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Atlantic City, NJ
Posts: 3,186
Thanks: 5
Thanked 69 Times in 60 Posts
Rep Power: 2
mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Blue crabs spawn near the mouth of Chesapeake Bay, mainly in a vast area near Cape Charles, VA, a location where until recent years the sponged females were targeted by commercial crab draggers and sold to the picking market. The eggs were merely ripped off the crab and tossed in the trash at the picking houses, while the meat was Pasteurized and canned. Because the crabs were dragged from beneath the bottom in areas consisting of sandy mud, the meat was frequently contaminated with grit from the sand.

Crabs grow very rapidly after hatching. Much faster than anyone can imagine. The females only live about a year and a few months, while the males often live two years. The females migrate down the bay beginning in early September, and for years many of the Crisfield commercial fleets targeted them for local picking houses. The harvest was beyond a doubt one of the things that led to the species incredible decline, but legislation to protect blue crabs, like most natural resource legislation, became a political football, prompting a huge number of meaningless, action-delaying studies that lasted more than two decades. Consequently, the stocks nearly collapsed before minor harvest restrictions were put in place, and as usual, the restrictions mainly targeted what is referred to as "Chicken Neckers", recreation crabbers using collapsible crab traps and handlines baited with chicken necks. DNR made the ridiculous claim that recreational crabbers harvest as many, if not more crabs, than the commercial crabbers.
Why are the commercial Fishermen and crabbers always seem to be trying to put themselves out of business? While it would hurt for severe restrictions to be in place for a couple of years, the rebound in stocks should make up for that
__________________
Art Haberland
__________________

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #28  
Old 08-25-2013
boz86's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland, US
Posts: 142
Thanks: 6
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 3
boz86 is on a distinguished road
Re: Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
Why are the commercial Fishermen and crabbers always seem to be trying to put themselves out of business? While it would hurt for severe restrictions to be in place for a couple of years, the rebound in stocks should make up for that
It's a classic "Tragedy of the Commons" situation. That and the tendency for most to look at the short view. And in all fairness, if their entire livelihood, capital, etc are tied up in the fishing and crabbing industry they're between a rock and a hard place. Can they earn enough off the water to cover living expenses and holding costs for those couple of years?

"The tragedy of the commons is a dilemma arising from the situation in which multiple individuals, acting independently and rationally consulting their own self-interest, will ultimately deplete a shared limited resource even when it is clear that it is not in anyone's long-term interest for this to happen. This dilemma was first described in an influential article titled "The Tragedy of the Commons," written by Garrett Hardin and first published in the journal Science in 1968.[1]"

further down:

"Central to Hardin's article is an example (first sketched in an 1833 pamphlet by William Forster Lloyd) of a hypothetical and simplified situation based on medieval land tenure in Europe, of herders sharing a common parcel of land, on which they are each entitled to let their cows graze. In Hardin's example, it is in each herder's interest to put the next (and succeeding) cows he acquires onto the land, even if the quality of the common is temporarily or permanently damaged for all as a result, through over grazing. The herder receives all of the benefits from an additional cow, while the damage to the common is shared by the entire group. If all herders make this individually rational economic decision, the common will be depleted or even destroyed to the detriment of all."

https://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/t...e_commons.html
__________________
Sailing "Horizons," a Hunter 31, from the Middle Chesapeake around Solomons Island.
I can keep a secret, it's the people I tell who can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #29  
Old 09-05-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 938
Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 9
aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Re: Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries

Just spent 2 days on the Little Choptank, what a difference in water conditions.. Less murky could see a couple of feet in viz. And believe this ..no sea nettles. So checked the boats haul...much cleaner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #30  
Old 09-14-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 938
Thanks: 1
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 9
aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Re: Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries

Found this abstract while searching for 3D mapping of under water caves..

Inter Research*»*MEPS*»*v486*»*p23-35

Chlorophyll caught my eye

Last edited by aa3jy; 09-14-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Powerboater from Upper Chesapeake Bay dbmathison Introduce Yourself 3 02-27-2013 12:39 PM
Welder in the Upper Chesapeake? haukebo Chesapeake Bay 0 05-14-2007 03:38 PM
Anyone need a crew on upper Chesapeake Bay? rockDAWG Crew Wanted/Available 5 10-04-2006 11:46 AM
What is the optimal draft for the upper Chesapeake Bay alan_21_us General Discussion (sailing related) 7 09-30-2006 04:59 PM
Upper Bay Sailing -- Chesapeake Slartibartfast Chartering 1 04-02-2005 10:02 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.