SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/101352-very-murky-upper-chesapeake-bay-tributaries.html)

aa3jy 07-14-2013 09:11 AM

Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries

This year I have to dive more often on my boat's haul in order to keep the thru hauls and prop clean. In the past years the viz at the 6-8 feet depth was around a half a foot..now I can't see the above mentioned items at all..all cleaning is done by touch contact method..something I'm very familiar with due to all the 'over head' (cave diving) training in Fl. and Mexico... And the smell! ...like 3 week old dead shrimp after ascent..:eek::puke

deniseO30 07-14-2013 09:30 AM

Re: Very Murky Upper Chesapeake Bay and Tributaries

I'd let the scientists here expand on it, but I'm pretty sure the overall health of the Bay is still bad. 'Dead zone' impacts Chesapeake Bay fishes
'Dead Zone' Impacts Chesapeake Bay Fishes

"July 8, 2013 — A 10-year study of Chesapeake Bay fishes by researchers at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science provides the first quantitative evidence on a bay-wide scale that low-oxygen "dead zones" are impacting the distribution and abundance of "demersal" fishes -- those that live and feed near the Bay bottom.........."

T37Chef 07-14-2013 10:03 AM

It seems especially poor this year. I believe a lot has to do with the excessive rain we have had, not saying the bays health isn't bad, I am sure waste treatment plants have overflowed too.

Rock Creek is gross, especially close to shore

Coquina 07-14-2013 05:52 PM

The only time we have had more rain was when Agnes came through.

travlineasy 07-16-2013 08:21 PM

Be real careful when boating in the bay's upper reaches. The good folks at Conowingo Dam dumped a lot of flotsam over the spillways last week, trees, logs, barrels, things that could easily sink your boat if you hit them. Early last week there was 10 acres of junk just above the dam, and the following day a couple spillways were opened and that 10-acre pile of debris was reduced to just under a half-acre. Now there are logs in the marina the size of telephone poles. So much for the Chesapeake Bay Cleanup Program.

Gary :cool:

T37Chef 07-16-2013 08:28 PM

WTF? There has to be a better way, why cant they divert that crap to a canal and dispose of it in a better way...oh never mind, that would cost $$$

travlineasy 07-18-2013 08:17 PM

Shawn, at one time they had a contractor that was picking the stuff out with a crane, loading it in a dump truck and hauling it to an area near Glenn Cove Marina where he would cut it up for firewood and sell it. That lasted about six months. The next thing they did was just open the spillways and let everything wash downriver. Of course, the power company said they didn't do that, but everyone in the area saw it happen on numerous occasions.

Guess we're stuck with this until the dam finally silts in completely and is no longer functional. This, and other reasons, is the reason I may be moving my boat down the bay next spring. I would have moved this fall, but couldn't get a rebate on what I already paid in slip rent. The marina I'm at is really silted in badly from floodwaters flowing down the Susquehanna River every year. The owners of the marina said they will dredge, if they have the money - same thing they said last fall. It didn't happen, and I seriously doubt that it will happen this fall.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

CalebD 07-18-2013 10:15 PM

Sorry to hear this you Chessy folks.
I like to visit around Annapolis and sail on the Chessy but I'm more of a LI Sound/Hudson River sailor at home.
I'm happy to report that the LI Sound seems pretty clean despite the occasional sewage plant overflow here and there. The Sound is nice and salty and fairly clear; good for swimming. Totally different estuaries though.

BubbleheadMd 07-21-2013 04:44 PM

In a matter of weeks, my engine cooling water through-hull grew completely clogged by marine funk. I had to ream it out 3 times with a wire coat hanger before I got enough flow.

That hasn't happened in the last two years. Sheesh. The bottom paint still seems to be working though, thank heavens. Bacteria count was high in my cove, so I didn't want to be in the water, scrubbing.

aa3jy 07-22-2013 10:56 AM

Dove on my boat this past weekend..can't belive how fast the growth is returning on the bottom, thru hulls and prop.

I'm lucky to be on a mooring so I'm not restricted by marina policies about not diving..

I always fresh water rinse after...no after effects..yet:laugher