Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: Pirates Weekend in Rock Hall

Pirates then and now are scary brutal killers and thugs.
OTOH kids played Cowboys and Indians for decades. Do you REALLY think that raiding a remote cabin and torturing the white settlers to death or doing some genocidal attack on an Indian settlement was a fun day out with the horses?
Or how about "western day" bank robber Jesse James style festivals like we have at Tuckahoe? The late 19th century outlaws were about was welcome as the drive-by gang shooters are today in real life.
Civil War reanactors could get some pig intestines from the slaughterhouse and have people rolling around screaming with "their" guts trailing behind to get some realism into it.
The local Renn-Fest might be more true to life if they let a bunch of black plague infested rats loose to roam the area.

Pirate Festivals hardly are unique in turning history into fun times for kids and adults

EDIT:
the local pirates make interesting reading. Essentially the British paid local loyalists to turn pirate and attack the locals loyal to the new United States and I think the reverse may also have been true. Soon enough they all got totally out of control and attacked everyone. Sound familiar
wingNwing likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coquina; 08-07-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Hey Joe-

Love to see the results of flying that huge 'Skull and Cross Bones',what is it 5'x 8', that I've seen you with, over in the Gulf of Aden when CTF-151 is on maneuvers...

Last edited by aa3jy; 08-07-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Sri..don't want to get personal like the'Transpac' thread has become..my apologies
Old 08-07-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Hey Joe-

Love to see the results of flying that huge 'Skull and Cross Bones',what is it 5'x 8', that I've seen you with, over in the Gulf of Aden when CTF-151 is on maneuvers...
Well I doubt it would result in anything, as to my understanding the modern pirates do not fly the Jolly Rodger. There is a whole fictionalized culture surrounding the 1500-1800's pirates that includes a whole honor code, that is what is being celebrated and has nothing to do with real piracy and certainly not modern piracy. Saying this promotes piracy is like saying the character in Monopoly with the prison uniform on promotes being a criminal in order to get put in prison. Life is not that simple.

Last edited by miatapaul; 08-07-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

They actually *did* have some very progressive codes of behaviour *among themselves*, including compenstation for on-the-job injury and a rough form of democracy. As for their victims, ah....not so much

In some cases they could have been a real force for good if raw criminality had been overcome - which it wasn't

As for modern islamic/african pirates, they have been a thorn in the side of 1st world civilization for HUNDREDS of years at least and the very first war the USA fought after becoming the USA was to get them under control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Well I doubt it would result in anything, as to my understanding the modern pirates do not fly the Jolly Rodger. There is a whole fictionalized culture surrounding the 1500-1800's pirates that includes a whole honor code, that is what is being celebrated and has nothing to do with real piracy and certainly not modern piracy. Saying this promotes piracy is like saying the character in Monopoly with the prison uniform on promotes being a criminal in order to get put in prison. Life is not that simple.

Last edited by Coquina; 08-07-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Some informal research here.

Is it illegal to have Pirate Flag flying on a boat? I was told that it might and might not.? - Yahoo! Answers

..may indicate it be prudent not to fly it in non US waters. My speculation would be a reasonable suspicion that a 'stop and search' may be warranted by those countries of known modern day piracy activity..
Old 08-07-2013
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
While I understand your point (in your posts), the simple fact of the matter is, fantasy or otherwise, it celebrates pirate culture. I can easily imagine the outrage at a SS Stormtrooper Fantasy Weekend, or KKK, or any number of such groups.
Oh, no, not you too??

The SS and KKK fests are at Fells Point!!
Old 08-07-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquina View Post
the local pirates make interesting reading. Essentially the British paid local loyalists to turn pirate and attack the locals loyal to the new United States and I think the reverse may also have been true. Soon enough they all got totally out of control and attacked everyone. Sound familiar
Exactly, and it falls under the broad category of damaging the economic interests of the enemy. Most of the US "Navy" during the revolution falls under this category too. Of course as soon as peace was declared, these guys didn't want to give up their way of living. Another Amazon link:
Pirates on the Chesapeake: Being a True History of Pirates, Picaroons, and Raiders on Chesapeake Bay, 1610-1807: Donald G. Shomette: 9780870336072: Amazon.com: Books Pirates on the Chesapeake: Being a True History of Pirates, Picaroons, and Raiders on Chesapeake Bay, 1610-1807: Donald G. Shomette: 9780870336072: Amazon.com: Books

This is the kind of stuff we tell the kids, and what I mean when I say we use their fascination with pirates to get them into thinking about history. Even the bad parts.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-07-2013

Why Pirates are not hung any more...

More about pirates: why we no longer ?hang them high? | Fabius Maximus

..too bad. Probably the last words at the gallows would have been 'Aaarrrrgg'
Old 08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda View Post
Oh, no, not you too??

The SS and KKK fests are at Fells Point!!
Actually the next Klan meeting will be in N. Carolina

http://kkkknights.com/rallies__meetings_2013

...and it's been awhile since the NSM has raised it's 'head' with a National Meeting

http://archive.adl.org/Learn/Ext_US/...ked=3&item=nsm

Last edited by aa3jy; 08-07-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldaShoulda View Post
The Khmer Rouge Festival is being held at Solomons Island this year!!

Sorry Bro but the Khmer Rouge declined years ago after the death of Pol Pot..

Historical Overview of the Khmer Rouge | Cambodia Tribunal Monitor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.