Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Late September 9 day Chesapeake Cruise

I think that we'll get to Solomon's at least. Kind of depends on where the wind is blowing. Rather work upfront, then slide home.

I'll PM you but it may take a day, I'm in Honolulu.
Old 09-03-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Late September 9 day Chesapeake Cruise

We have done the middle and southern Chesapeake 3 times visiting some of the same places each time including Solomon's, Oxford, St Mary's while always throwing in a few new places.

While I found Reedville interesting I couldn't stand the smell from the fish processing plant, but just south is Mill Creek, one of the most beautiful spots on the bay. We took cover there waiting out a storm.

Instead of taking a slip in the town dock in Cape Charles, we went up to kings creek, not recommended. The Marina was great but the channel was long and narrow.

Crisfield is depressing, once a bustling town is seems more like a ghost town. There's a coast guard station there ...no restaurants I saw worth eating. It does offer a ferry to tangier if you want to do something different, or catch a ride on the mailboat.

St Leonard creek is a must.

St Mary's and anchor off the college in horseshoe bend. Should be a lot more to do since the college will be open, we were there in July. The historic town is a interesting visit.

Anyway, those are some of the highlights. I did a couple trip reports I posted here from 2010 and 2009

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 09-06-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
St Leonard creek is a must.
St Leonard is a must visit just not on weekends, go-fast central going to Veras.

I hear Chrisfield got hammered by Sandy and is even less the town that Shawn saw.

Can't say enough great things about Onacock, great town, great food.

Old town Hampton has gone through a resurrection and is worth a couple days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 09-04-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I didn't get to stay there long, but Kilmarnock Virgina seemed like a nice little anchorage/marina.
Old 09-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I stayed in Kilmarnock when I bought my boat in Deltaville. It's a cute town with some neat shops, but I wasn't able to find much in the way of food. Don't get me wrong, it was edible, but I didn't have a meal there that made me want to go back to any of the restaurants.

Deltaville is also a neat place. According to several of the people there, Deltaville has the largest concentration of sailboats on the east coast. It was also the home to something like 30 different ship builders up until the 1980's. The people at Norton's were very nice, as were the people across the river (Deltaville Yachting Center). If you need ground transportation, you won't be able to rent a car in Deltaville; the nearest rental agency is Kilmarnock. I also had trouble finding a taxi that would serve Deltaville.

Another place I'd consider is Urbanna. I hear Urbanna is a very pretty, sleepy town with decent food (not being a chef, good food is a priority for me, can you tell?). Jameswilson keeps his boat there, IIRC.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 09-04-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I like Urbanna and recommended it. It is a nice, quiet town with a few restaurants, all within walking distance. On the downside, it is in a rural area and 15 n.m. from the Bay, N.W. in and S.E. out, which can be frustrating if the wind is from the wrong direction. Do not go too close to the #2 Channel Marker for Urbanna Creek - there is shoaling to the south (correct) side of it. Just to the north of the marker is a low stone jetty that is difficult to see at night.

The Rappahannock River and its tributaries are beautiful. The water is generally flat, but there is a bit of a tidal current to contend with.

Be careful at night. For some reason, the GPS charts and some chartbooks do not accurately depict the Rappahannock River Bridge channel, which is currently missing a light on the north side of the channel. The channel is in the very middle of the bridge, which shows up as a "Note*" an an "Overhead Power Cable" on my GPS chart chip, not as a bridge.

(I would also be careful at Kiptopeake Beach - the private buoy marking the entrance is also missing a light. If I had not been there before, I probably would not have entered the anchorage at night, even though the pier is brightly lighted. As it turned out, mine was the only boat anchored there in early August).

Last edited by jameswilson29; 09-04-2013 at 01:04 PM.