SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Late September 9 day Chesapeake Cruise (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/103241-late-september-9-day-chesapeake-cruise.html)

chef2sail 09-02-2013 08:00 PM

Late September 9 day Chesapeake Cruise

This year we had to forgo our annual New England/ LI Sound trip due to family concerns so we are staying put and doing a 9 day cruise of the Chessapeake at the end of Septemeber.

What are your favorite locations? Anchorages and Marina?
Restaurants there?
Dingy adventures and exploring?

We will follow friends Sharon and Brian's (4arch) route in many ways

San Domingo Creek or/ and Dunn Cove,
Cambridge ( we have done Oxford and that is a great place too),
Solomon's
St Leonard's Creek
Crisfield, Rhode/ West Rivers

As some of the stops. Since my wife really hasn't cruised the Chesapeake in September, except for our weekends, we are hoping this will be a great time of year to do it. Plus we will be close enough should she need to rush home to her mom we will be relatively close and I can get the boat home by myself.

Any other suggestions before I get the Cruising guide out?

jimgo 09-02-2013 08:56 PM

Re: Late September 9 day Chesapeake Cruise

Hope everyone/everything is OK.

paperbird 09-02-2013 09:45 PM

Likewise hope that all is OK with family.

Wow - with 9 days to work with, that's a tall order. Some top spots that come to mind initially:

- Onancock - cool little town, pretty far down the eastern shore.
- Tangier - haven't made it yet, but it's high on our list
- St Mary's City - haven't made it by boat, but am targeting this fall
- Reed Creek - tight entrance, but pretty anchorage
- La Trappe off the Choptank - cool anchorage inside the sand spit, beach to play on
- Dividing or Granary on Wye Island. Eagles, Herons, Solitude, bike ride on the island

I'm sure others will offer up lots of favorites. Sept can be a beautiful time of year on the Bay.

chef2sail 09-02-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paperbird (Post 1083262)
Likewise hope that all is OK with family.

Wow - with 9 days to work with, that's a tall order. Some top spots that come to mind initially:

- Onancock - cool little town, pretty far down the eastern shore.
- Tangier - haven't made it yet, but it's high on our list
- St Mary's City - haven't made it by boat, but am targeting this fall
- Reed Creek - tight entrance, but pretty anchorage
- La Trappe off the Choptank - cool anchorage inside the sand spit, beach to play on
- Dividing or Granary on Wye Island. Eagles, Herons, Solitude, bike ride on the island

I'm sure others will offer up lots of favorites. Sept can be a beautiful time of year on the Bay.

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone else about Granary....we go there often. Dividing is know for the "turtle farts" as Clay/ Leslie calls them, with the bubbles and gurgling water.

LaTrappe is a good one. Have always wanted to visit it.

Tangier sounds promising too. Hopefully the bugs have died own by then.

Thanks

brokesailor 09-03-2013 04:43 AM

Chef: I was wondering about your New England cruise!
I just got back from Cambridge. Jimmy and Sooks is the No. 1 Restaurant but it was closed for the Labor Day Holiday as was most of the town on Sunday. There is also theis wine place called "A few of my favorite things". We had wine, chocolate and cheeses. It was awesome till we got our $100 tab!
Stoked: a new Oven Pizza place-awesome!
Snapper's: closest to the Muncipal Dock. We ate lunch there, great appetizers. They also have breakfast even thought they don't open till 9 Am.
In Solomons there is a new restaurant where Catamaran's used to be: The Striped Rock. Eaten there several times-always good. They just opened up so there menu is still growing.
Hope you keep a running post of all your stops!

BubbleheadMd 09-03-2013 07:23 AM

Smith Island. Get some cake!

4arch 09-03-2013 07:43 AM

Dave, glad to hear you're making it out for some fall cruising. Sounds like a great itinerary - almost retracing our footsteps - and a great time of year to do it.

In Solomons we anchored behind Zahnisers marina right next to the mooring field they control. We found no need to pay for the mooring at $30 when there was plenty of room to anchor with good depth/holding. For $3 we could use their dinghy dock for 24 hours and the anchorage is also very close to the Calvert Marine Museum where they have free dinghy docking for museum visitors. You can stay on their dock as long as the museum is open even if you leave the grounds. I'd recommend visiting the museum. Although there's some overlap with CBMM, it does have a slightly different take on things with more orientation toward marine biology/ecology. We had lunch at the CD Cafe not too far from the museum and found it excellent although it doesn't look like much from the outside. There's also the Dry Dock restaurant on Zahnisers grounds which I've heard is good but we didn't try. Lots of options in Solomons.

If we had gone farther south, St. Marys City is actually about equivalent distance from Solomons as Crisfield (about 40 nm) by the time you go down around Point Lookout and back up St. Marys River. It didn't sound like there's much to St. Marys so I think we would have opted for Crisfield. From Crisfield it's also possible to take a ferry to Smith and Tangier Islands as a day trip. Coming back up from Crisfield might be a long haul as there's not a lot of places to stop until you get to the Little Choptank.

Hope you guys have a great trip - let us know how it goes.

Sabreman 09-03-2013 12:22 PM

Late September 9 day Chesapeake Cruise

We're headed out at about the same time for about the same duration. Maybe we can hook up somewhere. Onancock is on our agenda, it's been a few years since we've been there. Also Chrisfield. We'll probably skip Tangier - been there too many times but maybe stop at Smith, it's been a while.

jameswilson29 09-03-2013 03:56 PM

For a quick anchorage transiting North or South, you cannot beat the Sandy Point bight in the Great Wicomico River. It is only about 5 miles from the Western channel in the Bay and saves you from trying to find a place to anchor near the mouth of the Potomac. Well-protected, yet fairly open with a sandy bottom about 10-15 feet deep. The locals swim in the water and I have seen dolphins there, so it must be fairly clean.

If you need fuel, water or supplies, you can go to nearby Reedville, a cute town with some decent restaurants and a museum. Three miles farther upriver is Horn Harbor, a true hurricane hole.

Farther south, the Rappahannock has a number of nice little towns, including Irvington with the Tides Inn, Deltaville, and Urbanna.

Norfolk is a great place to visit, similar to Baltimore in many respects.

Cape Charles is worth a visit, although it has a somewhat industrial flavor. Just south of Cape Charles is Kiptopeake Beach, the last anchorage before reaching the north channel of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. It consists of a beach, public restrooms, a boat ramp, a halogen-lighted L shaped pier and a harbor of refuge made from 7 or 8 sunken W.W. II ferrocement ships, which have become a rookery for some kind of sea birds. There are people out fishing on the pier 24/7. It can be an eerie place to anchor.

chef2sail 09-03-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabreman (Post 1083510)
We're headed out at about the same time for about the same duration. Maybe we can hook up somewhere. Onancock is on our agenda, it's been a few years since we've been there. Also Chrisfield. We'll probably skip Tangier - been there too many times but maybe stop at Smith, it's been a while.

Mark,

Maybe we can meet up. Crissfield , Smith. How far north are you comming?

Dave