Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SVAuspicious

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Us Sailboat Show

Yay! It's that time of year again! I don't know about the rest of you , but I really look forward to the show each year. I love looking at the the boats that I will NEVER be able to afford and checking out the new features of production boats similar to ours.

This year I am considering going up to Annapolis Tuesday or Wednesday the 8th or 9th and trying to get a mooring ball. Anyone have recommendations on this plan? We've never been on a mooring during the show, how early does the mooring field fill up, how are evenings after the show closes, anything we shouldn't miss?

Who's going and which days?

Hope to see some of you there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Us Sailboat Show

Timely thread.

I live nearby, and I'd like to take my boat to this event as well.
I assume that mooring balls will fill up fast, and that I'll be relegated to anchoring.

The real question is: Where can one make a dinghy landing? The Annapolis dinghy dock will be inaccessible for the duration of the boat show. Will the water taxi be running?
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 09-04-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I'm told they fill up several weeks before the shows by cruiser/show workers. You might get lucky with someone leaving early but doubt it.
There are dink landings at every street that ends at the water. Plus there is a small dink dock near the police dock next to the academy that will be open.
Old 09-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

For completeness purposes:
The show is October 10-14 in Annapolis, MD. The show's website is:
Welcome to the United States Sailboat Show | Annapolis Boat Shows
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I live nearby, and I'd like to take my boat to this event as well. I assume that mooring balls will fill up fast, and that I'll be relegated to anchoring.
Yep. Most of Back Creek and Spa Creek are full. Weems is filling up. The mooring balls still have vacancies, especially in St Mary's Cove (35' limit v. 45' limit elsewhere).

This year the powerboat show is the week before the sail show so your chances at a ball are pretty random. If you're willing to come up Monday after the power show and circle you might get one.

There is always room in the South Anchorage although it gets bumpy. There is also room up the Severn off the Severn Inn.

Dinghy dockage is easy. Lots of room by the old DNRP station. If that overflows or you don't want to push in there is a landing in St Mary's Cove that is a reasonable walk. PLEASE LEAVE YOUR ENGINE DOWN IN CONSIDERATION OF YOUR COLLEAGUES.

As noted, every public street in Annapolis that ends at the water has free dinghy dockage.

The water taxis will be running but if the wind kicks up they will not serve the South Anchorage. That can be a problem.

There is always Whitehall Bay.

I prefer to anchor out and dinghy in. I've always been able to find a place to put the dinghy.
chef2sail and BubbleheadMd like this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 09-05-2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-07-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

I'm planning to go this year and have never been before. Any tips from veterans on which days/events to hit?
Old 09-07-2013

gershel is on a distinguished road

In past years I found Weems Creek to be the ideal spot. A well protected anchorage, and the dinghy landing is a few blocks from the Naval Academy Stadium, where the free shuttle to the show is. Also there is a supermarket, and some interesting restaurants nearby.
However, another poster commented that it fills up fast. I guess the secrets out. There may be some room on the other side of the drawbridge, though.
Marc

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.