Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road
Deltaville Area Lodging

We are considering traveling to Deltaville soon to look at some boats over an upcoming weekend. It doesn't look like there are a lot of options for lodging in the area. Urbanna appears to have more as there are a few B&B's and restaurants. We only need something fairly basic but wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Deltaville Area Lodging

You're right, there aren't a lot of options. I stayed in Kilmarnock. That was the closest hotel I could find.

Granted, you're a lot closer to D'ville than I am, but you'll want to factor in the logistics of getting any boat home into your considerations. There aren't any airports close by, the closest car rental agency is in Kilmarnock and you can't do one-way rentals to there, there's a U-Haul in Kilmarnock, but then you have to get from Kilmarnock to D'ville and there didn't appear to be any cab companies in that area. Getting a cab from Norfolk isn't cheap.

Ultimately, I basically was stuck either trying to find someone to come along and drive the car home, or hiring a captain. We hired a captain. I have a name of a surveyor if you need one. He did a "sanity check" survey for me for $100 before he did the full survey. Basically checked for the BIG problems that would make you want to walk away from a boat.

To which marina(s) are you headed? If you go to Norton's, please tell Mike that the guy who bought the Allmand from him finally got her home.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2013
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

I realize that I am jumping the gun here but if needed I could provide you with the name and contact number of a competent licensed captain who would be very flexible and responsive to your needs. Just PM me if interested.

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I believe there are some hotels between Saluda and Deltaville on General Puller Highway, closer to Deltaville. A little farther out are West Point and Tappahannock. On the other side of the Rappahannock are Irvington and Reedville.
Old 09-30-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the logistical information. If we buy a boat out of D-ville - and it's still a big if - we'll keep it all in mind for sure. At this point we're still narrowing options though it looks like there's a few in D-ville that are worth the trip down.
Old 09-30-2013
Noah's Bosun

Cap-Couillon is on a distinguished road

As a resident, here are 2 choices I know of....

Dockside Inn Only "Motel" I know of in Deltaville. Not new, not terrible for a few night stay. Almost to Stingray Pt. Broad Creek side, most marinas nearby.

Heaven Scent B&B
Not cheap, but great place... Some rooms accommodate up to 6. Great location and owner. About 3 mile before "downtown Deltaville"

Onboard - Solitaire
Old 10-01-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Bryan,

You know I'll help you get you new boat home

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Thanks for all the logistical information. If we buy a boat out of D-ville - and it's still a big if - we'll keep it all in mind for sure. At this point we're still narrowing options though it looks like there's a few in D-ville that are worth the trip down.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-02-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Wow, not heard you're looking for a new boat! Exciting, looking forward to hearing what you're looking at. Cheers.
Old 10-04-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap-Couillon View Post
As a resident, here are 2 choices I know of....

Dockside Inn Only "Motel" I know of in Deltaville. Not new, not terrible for a few night stay. Almost to Stingray Pt. Broad Creek side, most marinas nearby.

Heaven Scent B&B
Not cheap, but great place... Some rooms accommodate up to 6. Great location and owner. About 3 mile before "downtown Deltaville"
If a crashpad is all you want, I can tell you I've stayed at Dockside several times. Its a dump but a comfortable, convenient dump. lol

The next closest hotel in the crashpad category is by the Airport in Hummel, about 20 minutes from the marina's/boatyards. Its also a dump, but the Pilot House Inn has a pretty darn good breakfast buffet.

PILOT HOUSE INN

If you stay there you'll have to PM me to share your thoughts on the secret only those that have spent a night here are privy to. Its pretty hilarious.

If you're looking for some 5 star amenities there is Tides Inn in Irvington which is only a short drive and there may be something in Kilmarnock.

There are definitely places in Tappahannock but that's a pretty good drive down to Deltavlle.
Old 10-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Kilmarnock. It was about a 20-30 minute drive to Deltaville. The hotel was "perfectly adequate." It wasn't the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in, but at the same time it didn't make me feel the need to check for bedbugs before I put a suitcase on the floor. The staff were nice, and the breakfast was handy (though far from gourmet).
1975 Albacore 15