Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Best Homes w/Slip in the Chesapeake Bay Area

Ha, we have even more in common than I knew, Willy.

Over the years, hurricanes have taken their toll and some of the quaint, little homes have been knocked down and replaced by these "starter castles". Still, there are plenty of original homes in the area, thank goodness.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I've owned waterfront property with an attached dock and ocean access. For the extra I paid for that little bit of bulkheaded waterfront, I could have built a much nicer home a few miles from the water, and kept my boat at the nicest marina in the country, and had a lot of money left over.

I enjoyed it, (up until Katrina) but I wouldn't do it again.

I lived in Arnold, on the Severn River, and kept my sailboat on a mooring in Chase Creek. It took me longer to dinghy out to it, than it did to drive/walk from my house to the dinghy rack that my neighborhood association provided.

Except for Maryland weather, and a too short boating season, that was a pretty nice set up.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 01-15-2014

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

It is almost impossible to build or cut trees within 1,000 feet of the Bay. The fine is 5k per tree! In order to reduce run-off, there are strict limits on how much of a lot can be covered with impermeable surfaces. The State wants you to build tall homes with small footprints.
Home Page for Critical Areas Commission for the Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays - Maryland Department of Natural Resources
Old 01-15-2014
美國佬

willyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
It is almost impossible to build or cut trees within 1,000 feet of the Bay. The fine is 5k per tree! In order to reduce run-off, there are strict limits on how much of a lot can be covered with impermeable surfaces. The State wants you to build tall homes with small footprints.
Then there must be some exceptions to the rule or certain officials are more flexible than others, because a number of houses have gone up near us that don't seem to follow these codes. Nearly all the houses that I ave seen go up within a half mile of our beach on lots where an older house was knocked down are tall, but also as long and wide as the lot itself. In one case, two houses were built 3 feet apart and and arm's reach from the neighbors on either side.
Old 01-16-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

^^ Yep. People who know how to petition the environmental boards, get all kinds of waivers. The starter castles I've seen, aren't just tall, they're much broader than the original bungalo's of the 60's that previously occupied the same property.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 01-20-2014

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Home Page for Critical Areas Commission for the Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays - Maryland Department of Natural Resources
You have to believe that residential development has a major impact of bay pollution for these rules to not seem like the nanny state poking its nose in where it can.

Agricultural interests are far to strong to take on, so the largest polluter continues business as usual while less powerful interests get silly regulations piled on.