SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Best Homes w/Slip in the Chesapeake Bay Area (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/107761-best-homes-w-slip-chesapeake-bay-area.html)

jasn 11-22-2013 10:00 PM

Best Homes w/Slip in the Chesapeake Bay Area

I was checking out the new National Harbor website, and I noted that in addition to their existing condos, they've got a new townhome development going in called Potomac Overlook. I did notice that none of the condos, or new Potomac Overlook townhomes, seem to include slips at the National Harbor Marina, which is kind of a shame.

I think it would be cool to live in a townhome, (no yard to maintain), and be able to walk to your own slip, and I'm sure there's got to be plenty of these kinds of properties in the Chesapeake Bay area. So what would get your vote for the ideal "boater's" real estate in the bay area? Parameters are under a million including slip, house townhome or condo, (prefer private garage), anywhere on the bay, (Western or Eastern Shore).

Thanks..

jimgo 11-22-2013 11:46 PM

Re: Best Homes w/Slip in the Chesapeake Bay Area

How are you defining the "Chesapeake Bay"? National Harbor isn't exactly "on" the bay, to me.

jasn 11-22-2013 11:52 PM

Good point. I should have been clearer in that it was the National Harbor properties that got me thinking about the subject but I'm partial to living on the bay. Having said that, if someone has a recommendation anywhere in the greater DC area like on the Potomac, I'd be interested in hearing about that too.

jsaronson 11-23-2013 09:02 AM

There are lots of houses n the Baywith slips. Water depth is often an issue, and there is a huge premium for water views. I needed 7 foot depth and found a house with a slip (but no view) in Edgewater. Send me a PM if you wnt more info.

wavedancer38 11-25-2013 03:21 PM

It would be ideal to have waterfront property with a slip for our boat! I need to win the lottery though.
A quick search brought up a few places:
New Homes in Edgewater, MD | South River Crossing From Baldwin Homes

Townhome Features
Weems Cove Site - A Waterfront Community - Annapolis Home Lot

kd3pc 11-26-2013 08:37 AM

I have a +2 acre, waterfront lot in the northern neck, 8'MLW and an 80' pier in place...soil work done....with my asking price you could build a mansion for less than a million...

let me know if you want details, or know someone who may

sealover 01-12-2014 09:40 PM

How reasonable can someone buy waterfront property within two hours of the PA line? Navigable water. (doesn't need to be deep, but no low bridges downstream) Livable house. Dock, or at least whatever requirements are needed to put one in. $200k? $300k? What about across the street from the water but with deeded access or a dock? Just curious/dreaming.

desert rat 01-12-2014 10:31 PM

Waterfront property with a dock is almost ten times as expensive.

BubbleheadMd 01-13-2014 12:12 PM

There is a little known compromise, that works well:
Water-privileged property.

My property is much less expensive than actual waterfront property, but my boat is a mere 5 minute walk down to the private, community dock where I store my boat.

These little communities were established in the 40's 50's and 60's (I think).
If you own property in the neighborhood, you have a right to join the "beach club". Many of these clubs have a private dock. You pay an annual club dues for access to the beach and for the slip.

I pay $575 dollars per year, for access to the private beach and a slip for my 30 foot boat w/5 foot draft. Water and shore power included. No bridges downstream. I can hoist my sails after a 10-15 minute motor out of the creek.

We elect a "dock master" who is a responsible member of the community, who is tasked with maintaining the dock and utilities. He puts a bubbler in the water, when the cove ices over, as well.

My house is so close, that I walk to the boat most of the time, unless I'm bringing down a bunch of heavy tools and work materials. Some of my more distant neighbors ride a golf cart or a "gator" down to the dock.

All the convenience of waterfront living, without the risk and hassle.

willyd 01-15-2014 07:56 AM

Ditto what Bubblehead said. I live 200 yards from our community pier and beach and pay $600/year for my slip. My house cost $235,000 - it was originally a summer cottage built in the 1940s and is kinda small, but it has a roof that keeps the rain off of our heads, and we haven't ruined the shoreline by putting up townhouses or chopping down all the trees so our McMansion has a view.