Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: 2014 Sailing Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Heading over to St Micheals tomorrow through the Narrows. Shawn saw 6.5 two hours after low so we should be fine.

Large group of PB friends from the club are having cocktails at the Marina there on the dock and we will dinghy in as sail boaters like to anchor.

Looks like a windless albet beautiful weekend.

Dave
Does St. Michaels have a water taxi? We're hoping to make it down there soon, but would prefer not to have to drag our tender along.

We've had great weather this season for daysails. Today's breeze up here on the Delaware was much more than forecast. Here's a video I posted on Facebook.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
taxi

They have one when in season. Prepare to anchor I'm outer area and have a superior type anchor for holding ad the bottom can be loose to poor and many drag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-07-2014

anchored in the inner part of ST Michaels harbor.

Had great hor devore party with 40 friends most in big POwer boats from our club good food and commradiere. Took us 6 hours through an uneventfull trip through the Narrows to get here vs the 10 it would have around Bloody Point and up Eastern Bay. Suprised at the lack of people here on. Saturday, but we enjoyed the relative quiet in this town which can be a beehive of boats in the summer.

Winds look promising and building to 20 today. We have to cut through the Narrows as the Chesapeake Swim across the Bay tales place at the Bay Bridge today closing down the access for a number of hours
T37Chef likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 06-08-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-08-2014

4arch is on a distinguished road

Dave, Everyone must have been over on the Magothy! We were going to drop the hook in Eagle's Nest but it was packed solid. Decided to try Broad Creek instead. On the way over we saw the Dobbins anchorage almost as packed as it will be in July or August. Once we got to Broad it was also more crowded than I've ever seen it although there was still plenty of room.

It was our first time anchoring on the new boat! Last month we replaced the CQR that came with the boat with a Rocna 25 (55 lb model). It was amazing how easily it set. Got the best night's sleep I think I've ever had on the hook. We did discover a few kinks in our anchoring setup though. The washdown pump is toast. This winter must have done it in. Had to go back to the bucket method. Also found that the derlin roller on our anchor roller is seized so I'll have to do a little investigating on that one.

Winds Saturday were very light but we did manage to sail (slowly) from Bodkin Point to the mouth of the Magothy. Coming back today we left so early that the winds didn't pick up until right until we got back to the marina, at which point they were (of course) blowing perpendicular to the slip. All in all still a great weekend even if a few more knots of wind would have made it perfect.
T37Chef likes this.
Old 06-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Dave, Everyone must have been over on the Magothy! We were going to drop the hook in Eagle's Nest but it was packed solid. Decided to try Broad Creek instead. On the way over we saw the Dobbins anchorage almost as packed as it will be in July or August. Once we got to Broad it was also more crowded than I've ever seen it although there was still plenty of room.

It was our first time anchoring on the new boat! Last month we replaced the CQR that came with the boat with a Rocna 25 (55 lb model). It was amazing how easily it set. Got the best night's sleep I think I've ever had on the hook. We did discover a few kinks in our anchoring setup though. The washdown pump is toast. This winter must have done it in. Had to go back to the bucket method. Also found that the derlin roller on our anchor roller is seized so I'll have to do a little investigating on that one.

Winds Saturday were very light but we did manage to sail (slowly) from Bodkin Point to the mouth of the Magothy. Coming back today we left so early that the winds didn't pick up until right until we got back to the marina, at which point they were (of course) blowing perpendicular to the slip. All in all still a great weekend even if a few more knots of wind would have made it perfect.
Nothing like a Rocna. Had mine for 5years now. Sleep much better.
Glad you had a good time and are enjoying your new boat

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 06-08-2014

Quote:
Nothing like a Rocna. Had mine for 5years now. Sleep much better.
Glad you had a good time and are enjoying your new boat
What size is your Rocna? I'm trying to decide how much to upsize. Not sure I want to devote the whole aft berth to one!

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 06-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
What size is your Rocna? I'm trying to decide how much to upsize. Not sure I want to devote the whole aft berth to one!
33 lb---15 kg.

Check Manson Supreme,,,just as good, Some of the shanks and bow config prevent each from fitting so make a cardboard cut out and check first

I suggest a check your bail height, I also had to replace that

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 06-09-2014

Quote:
33 lb---15 kg.

Check Manson Supreme,,,just as good, Some of the shanks and bow config prevent each from fitting so make a cardboard cut out and check first

I suggest a check your bail height, I also had to replace that
Hmm, 33 lb for your boat seems to be the minimum recommended size, so you haven't upsized at all. For 25 ft / 4500 lb what would you recommend? 13 lb? 22 lb?

I have no roller on the bow, and no way one would fit. None of these anchors are going to fit in my anchor locker either, so I'll have to stow below. (13 lb might fit in the locker) So I really need to think carefully about size.

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-09-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-09-2014

4arch is on a distinguished road

Rocna's literature says they build a lot of fudge factor into their size recommendations and that upsizing is not necessary. According to their literature, I could get away with a 44 lb for my boat. I wouldn't have gone to the next size up if we weren't hoping to do some extended cruising on this boat in the future and if the 55 lb hadn't fit on the roller. I also liked the idea of one anchor to do it all instead of having a separate "hurricane anchor". (We do have a large Fortress aboard as a backup). One great thing Rocna offers is the ability to print out full sized paper mockups of their anchors to check out the fit. I had a 35 lb Spade on my old boat. It was right on the edge of being able to manhandle without a bow roller. I would think a 22 lb would be fine for lifting by hand.
T37Chef likes this.
Old 06-09-2014

I'm thinking of getting a 25 lb. Mantus. The detachable shank could make it much easier to do long-term storage, since I will not need it for the daysailing that I do 95% of the time.

I'm aware of the fierce debates between Rocna/Manson/Mantus, and will study up some more on those tonight. But at this moment I'm leaning toward the Mantus.