Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Sailing Season

My favorite little anchorage was busy on Friday and Saturday..might consider my 'backup' gunkhole next time if this early season is this busy..

Last edited by aa3jy; 06-09-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Hmm, 33 lb for your boat seems to be the minimum recommended size, so you haven't upsized at all. For 25 ft / 4500 lb what would you recommend? 13 lb? 22 lb?

I have no roller on the bow, and no way one would fit. None of these anchors are going to fit in my anchor locker either, so I'll have to stow below. (13 lb might fit in the locker) So I really need to think carefully about size.
Not really Rick...you need to do more research. My Rocna is not at the minimum standard for a 15,000 sailboat at all.

http://www.rocna.com/sites/default/f...aph_pounds.jpg

Read on my friend. Reading is fine by I perfer The FIRST HAND PRACTICAL my friends and others experience I have had with our Rocna is that it has held in 65 mph straight line winds, has reset quickly in a 5 knot current tidal change on the Long Island Sound, and in the years I have had it only once has it ever dragged and I attribute that to operator (me ) error.

I have only heard positives about Rocnas and Mansons from my freinds who seem to swear my them as I do
T37Chef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-09-2014

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting a 25 lb. Mantus. The detachable shank could make it much easier to do long-term storage, since I will not need it for the daysailing that I do 95% of the time.

I'm aware of the fierce debates between Rocna/Manson/Mantus, and will study up some more on those tonight. But at this moment I'm leaning toward the Mantus.
Add this to the debate

A Second Look at Anchor Shanks - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article

Inferior steel...thinner shank...

Bolting and unbolting an anchors when I want to use one is not on my list of sailing chores. Mantus is an adequate spare and takes up less room than other anchors.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-09-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I'm a Mantus fan. Hands down.

The shank bending thing is a bit of fluff as far as I'm concerned. There's plenty of evidence of Rocnas bending despite the "claimed" higher tensile steel. It can happen. The key issue is the way the manufacturer presents their data and the way they stand behind their product. Rocna has a very bad track record on both of these from everything I've seen. Mantus does not. Them's just the facts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-09-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-09-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
...Reading is fine by I perfer The FIRST HAND PRACTICAL...
Which is why I decided to ask you.
Quote:
Add this to the debate

A Second Look at Anchor Shanks - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article

Inferior steel...thinner shank...
I had already read that, along with a bunch of other stuff that often contradicts rather than enlightens. That's why I decided to ask here.

Reading is fine, and I'll continue to do it. But getting opinions of people here is also helpful.
chef2sail and smackdaddy like this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 06-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I'm a Mantus fan. Hands down.

The shank bending thing is a bit of fluff as far as I'm concerned. There's plenty of evidence of Rocnas bending despite the "claimed" higher tensile steel. It can happen. The key issue is the way the manufacturer presents their data and the way they stand behind their product. Rocna has a very bad track record on both of these from everything I've seen. Mantus does not. Them's just the facts.
Now thats a great argument saying.....Mantus does not have a bad track record....neither did the Ford Pinto or the Chevy Corvair the first few years they were in existance. Most of the issues with Rocna were due to the arrogance of its owner.

Guess that means most of the stuff we read is Practical Sailor is a bunch of "fluff" as you said or does it only pertain to particular article being fluff. I have found PS to be right on about most of its evaluations. So now its fluff?

Lets be real, even the nubies amongst us like myself can laugh at the Mantus videos and see through the comparisons which are obvious not scientific like length of rodes, angles of cantenary or attack etc. Smoke and mirros and marketing. But I still bought one

From what I understand Rocna stood behind its warrenty...do you have empirical evidence otherwise? I could have taken mine back the way I understood it even though it was a NZ one.

Comparing these three like anchors its hard to find a difference. Those who try and find and advantage of one over the other are are splitting hairs I bought the Mantus to have a spare traveling anchor since we do some longer range cruising and I liked my experience with the new gen anchors. It was able to be kept unbolted and take up less space than a Rocna or Manson. I used our Mantus for a few months last year and noticed no appreciable difference than the NZ Rocna I bought years ago. The only difference I can see is the the thinner shank.

I am a supporter of any of these three new generation anchors (I own two of them) and dont need to skew facts to be an apoligist for any one of them because they are an advertiser here on SN or I dont like the arrogance of Rocnas owner.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 06-09-2014

Quote:
Which is why I decided to ask you.

I had already read that, along with a bunch of other stuff that often contradicts rather than enlightens. That's why I decided to ask here.

Reading is fine, and I'll continue to do it. But getting opinions of people here is also helpful.
I understood why you asked.. Not knowing what youd read or seen I just presented you with what I thought was a generally unbiased opinion from a magazine many sailors read, understand and respect their results of their tests.

All three are good next gen anchors. I am not sure personally about the continously bolting and unbolting of the anchor, but thats your choice.

I stand behind my Rocna...after quite a few years of actual usage in many combinations of bottoms and conditions as the best anchor I have ever had.

I dont want to debate anchors...I gave you my opinion,,,buy what you already had your mind
mad up to buy. I know I have no doubt in what I bought, I sleep soundly at anchor many times a year.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 06-09-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Now thats a great argument saying.....Mantus does not have a bad track record....neither did the Ford Pinto or the Chevy Corvair the first few years they were in existance. Most of the issues with Rocna were due to the arrogance of its owner.

Guess that means most of the stuff we read is Practical Sailor is a bunch of "fluff" as you said or does it only pertain to particular article being fluff. I have found PS to be right on about most of its evaluations. So now its fluff?
The "fluff" is the basic question of whether or not a shank will bend. Of course they'll bend in the right conditions...any of them. The more logical, and more pertinent follow-on question is - "Then what?"

Does the bending mean failure of the anchor? If so, that's obviously a danger. If not, then it's simply a matter of what the company does to rectify the damaged anchor which held you in place as intended. It's pretty straight-forward warranty issue (as well as a cost-benefit analysis on the part of the manufacturer).

But, more importantly, as the PS article itself stated, Mantus was very forthright with its information. Rocna hasn't been over the years (as has been widely proven across the forums). For that reason, I don't trust Rocna. Period.

On this point...

Quote:
Lets be real, even the nubies amongst us like myself can laugh at the Mantus videos and see through the comparisons which are obvious not scientific like length of rodes, angles of cantenary or attack etc. Smoke and mirros and marketing.
I guess I don't see what you see in those videos. If you're claiming they are being fraudulent in their marketing, you probably should offer some proof.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 06-09-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...I am not sure personally about the continously bolting and unbolting of the anchor, but thats your choice...
I would not continuously unbolt it. I would bolt it together for my once-a-year cruise, and take it apart for the rest of the year. I only need a lunch hook (8 lb Danforth) for the daysailing I do the rest of the year. As I said before:

Quote:
The detachable shank could make it much easier to do long-term storage, since I will not need it for the daysailing that I do 95% of the time.
Quote:
...I gave you my opinion,,,buy what you already had your mind mad up to buy...
I have not made my mind up. Quite the opposite, I said:
Quote:
I'm thinking of getting a 25 lb. Mantus...I'm aware of the fierce debates between Rocna/Manson/Mantus, and will study up some more on those tonight. But at this moment I'm leaning toward the Mantus.
Keep the suggestions coming.

I can see SmackDaddy's point of view too. Practical Sailor did say this in April 2013:
Quote:
Certainly, setting and holding power are paramount in an anchor, and a sailor could use an anchor with a milder steel-shaft for a lifetime and never see it bend—as many makers, like Rocna, contend. Anchors from both Fortress and Spade bent in our recent tests, and these anchors have years of use to back them. However, as we will demonstrate in the May issue, bending an anchor shank made of so called “high-tensile” steel in real-world conditions is not as hard as one may think. Fortunately, Mantus, like many makers, offers a lifetime warranty that would likely cover a bent shank.
And in the May issue, they highlighted the differences in the warranties, where Manson came up a little short:
Quote:
Mantus and Rocna have a worldwide replacement policy for any damage or defect (including bending). Manson and Lewmar warranties cover manufacturing defects, but not bending...Manson representatives said that if they were shown that their anchor bent as a result of normal usage, a replacement would be considered, but they have no history of this type of failure.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-09-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2014

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Just returned last night from a week on the bay...last weekend started with an overnight in broad creek with some friends aboard. Sunday we sailed down to Hartge Yacht Yard/West River and met up with our friend Dave/Auspicious for some work. Then I took the boat back up to Rock Creek/MYC and spent Wednesday - Friday out and about with some guys. A mixed bag of everything the bay has to offered this time of year...humidity, thunderstorms, no wind, 30 knots...Oxford/Tred Avon, St Michaels/Miles River....even saw a mini water spout as we approach ed Bodkin Point yesterday during that storm front that came through around 2:00.

next we plan to head north on our first trip out of the bay if I can finish up a few projects in time.

Photo by Joe McCary