Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2014 Sailing Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I would not continuously unbolt it. I would bolt it together for my once-a-year cruise, and take it apart for the rest of the year. I only need a lunch hook (8 lb Danforth) for the daysailing I do the rest of the year. As I said before:

I have not made my mind up. Quite the opposite, I said:

Keep the suggestions coming.

I can see SmackDaddy's point of view too. Practical Sailor did say this in April 2013:

And in the May issue, they highlighted the differences in the warranties, where Manson came up a little short:
You asked for my opinions and I gave it. I have both anchors. I prefer the ROCNA or the Manson. They have real life data vs maketing video data. The thick shank vrs the thin shank.

I prefer the first hand data of a number of years rather than the new copycat anchor for now with very little data other than marketing videos which in my knowledge never point out diffeciences. I mean they are basically the same design so for your use it wont make any difference except your major criteria is portablilty.

A pertinent question is....how many people have failed ROCNAS, Mansons....some nanny chirp about warrenties etc, but in real life how many people have returned defective ROCNAS or Mansons.

Seems to me most who have either of these two anchors are EXTREMELY satisfied with them. To me thats the most critical peice of data.

As a side note and maybe even more important, I would not sail in the area you do with just a lunch hook available. My most important issue is safety and one of the top safety features on my boat is my anchor. If I have an issue and need to throw my anchor down in an emergency I want to have it quickly and readily available. I dont want to have to bolt it together, worry wether it will set without backing down on it,I just want to drop it and stop the boat immediately. I would think thats critical in the river with currents that you sail in.

Your lunch hook will avail you no security in such an emergency and personally I wouldnt sail with just that as the only means to stop me. I doubt whether that lunch hook will hold in switching gusty winds during the many T storms we both experince and can get caught out in. I doubt whether that lunch hook would hold you in gusty windy if your engine cuts out and you are heading to shoals or objects. When all goes right its nice to have that lunch hook,,,,when the sh.t hits the fan...I want my ASSEMBLED ROCNA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Anchored tonight with 7 other Maryland Yacht Club boats on Broad Creek Magothy after a brisk sail down in 12 knots of wind

Just as we entered the creek, our alternator belt broke. We unfurled the jib partially and Donna tacked while I changed it taking 15 minutes.

Great hors devores and fun on the Katy Krogen 48 a beautiful trawler

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 4 Weeks Ago

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

This past weekend was a boat work weekend but at least it wasn't too hot. Still some things to do as we prepare for our summer trip. The couple weeks prior I burned some leave time and sailed most everyday of the two weeks I was off. Some of the highlights was a three day cruise with some guys, something the four of us rarely get to do. First day we made it to Oxford then St Michaels the second. The ride home on day three ended with a heavy rain and rumble with lots of lighting what looked like the beginning of a water spout off Bodkin Point. Three days of overcast skies... but we ate and drank well. Another highlight was a overnight with another family (of 3) which is rare for us. First night in Broad Creek and the second day we sailed down to the West River. They all went home and I visited Hartge Yacht Yard for some work. Tuesday the winds were non existent so I motored the entire way...until of course I turn into Rock Creek and the winds picks up just a little too late...figure's uh.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:41 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I also worked vs. sailing this weekend.

The house desperately needed some attention- mowing, trimming, sweeping, mopping, laundry, etc. I live alone, so it's all on me.

I snuck in boat upgrade work in the evening. I replaced the OEM fiberglass, "shoebox" style foredeck hatch with an aluminum frame Bomar hatch. The mounting surface required some modification, so I worked in the evening, and let the epoxy cure overnight.

I think my next project is going to be wiring up the DSC VHF to a GPS.
T37Chef likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Great hors devores and fun on the Katy Krogen 48 a beautiful trawler
Careful talking about such things here...a trawler...once aboard one of those and Donna with be taking you to the power boat show this October!

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 4 Weeks Ago

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Careful talking about such things here...a trawler...once aboard one of those and Donna with be taking you to the power boat show this October!
..or worse yet Trawler Fest in Baltimore

Baltimore | PassageMaker
T37Chef likes this.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post

Baltimore | PassageMaker
You mean Balmore

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 4 Weeks Ago

This trawler was nice...air craft carrier nice...but no worries about me ever buying one....ever.

I like the sailboats inherent safety of having many tons of lead in the keel under me trying to right the boat in rough weather. Even this Kady Krogen would be hiding in 20 knots like its PB breathers.

When I am to old t o raise the sails...I'll just motor a heavy saiboat like a Hans Christian, Bristol, outbound Hylas, mason etc.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post

Baltimore | PassageMaker
Naw,,,Donna loves to sail too much.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 3 Weeks Ago

kptmorgan04 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kptmorgan04

So what is everyones 4th of July plans??? I am debating either staying local on the West River, or making the trip up to Annapolis/Severn River on the evening of the 1st or 2nd for the weekend.