Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree197Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: 2014 Sailing Season

I'm surprised that the humidity didn't read higher.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
We should be in Worton Creek tomorrow evening. Perhaps we'll see you there.
With thunderstorms threatening in the afternoon, we departed for Bohemia at 1100, an hour or so later than I hoped. Sailing conditions were benign, so the small craft advisory was overkill. We did, however, dodge our first Chesapeake storm which quickly crossed from Annapolis to Georgetown around 1300, right as we were approaching Howell Point. It ended up being little more than a spinkle, but it was a good drill for us to lash the sail and bimini, move everything that wasn't waterproof down in to the cabin, don harnesses and tethers, etc.

Shawn - Did you make it to Worton Creek? We went back to retrieve our car at 1700, and saw this:

It was pretty scary looking.

By the way, we did have a few Japanese Beetles land in our boat as we were crossing the mouth of the Sassafras.

We came home for the July 4 festivities in town, only to get a last-minute message that they are canceled. Late tomorrow night I will return to Bohemia to sleep over on the boat, for an early departure to return the boat to Essington.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-03-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-04-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
With thunderstorms threatening in the afternoon, we departed for Bohemia at 1100, an hour or so later than I hoped. Sailing conditions were benign, so the small craft advisory was overkill. We did, however, dodge our first Chesapeake storm which quickly crossed from Annapolis to Georgetown around 1300, right as we were approaching Howell Point. It ended up being little more than a spinkle, but it was a good drill for us to lash the sail and bimini, move everything that wasn't waterproof down in to the cabin, don harnesses and tethers, etc.

Shawn - Did you make it to Worton Creek? We went back to retrieve our car at 1700, and saw this:

It was pretty scary looking.

By the way, we did have a few Japanese Beetles land in our boat as we were crossing the mouth of the Sassafras.

We came home for the July 4 festivities in town, only to get a last-minute message that they are canceled. Late tomorrow night I will return to Bohemia to sleep over on the boat, for an early departure to return the boat to Essington.
Shawn is safely anchored on the inside at Worton. He left the club after. 6 and the big line of t storms. The gust front brought a few 50 mph gusts in the slip.
T37Chef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-04-2014
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

So my wind reports are calling for 22mph NNW off of Gibson Island today. Is everyone else seeing the same?
T37Chef likes this.
Old 07-05-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Light winds today, just 5 to 10 NW in the bay north of Pooles Island. Of course the actual wind speed is much greater- the Susquehanna River Bay Buoy shows 11 to 15 kts, good sailing conditions, but I have to work till 3 p.m., at which time the wind usually dies.

Gary
T37Chef likes this.

Last edited by travlineasy; 07-05-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-05-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

Nice vigorous sail up the Elk River this morning, close hauled into the northwesterly with no need to tack. Bohemia River was a couple feet below normal because of the strong northwesterlies blowing down the bay. Past Welch Point and through the canal, I left the genoa up and made 6 knots through the canal with motor on idle.

Winds are gentler now, but I'm under sail heading up the Delaware River. It's been an interesting week thanks to the weather, but we had fun despite our scaled back plans. Saw lots of eagles, ospreys, and herons. And just a second ago I was hit in the face by a flying Japanese beetle.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-05-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2014

Quote:
Nice vigorous sail up the Elk River this morning, close hauled into the northwesterly with no need to tack. Bohemia River was a couple feet below normal because of the strong northwesterlies blowing down the bay. Past Welch Point and through the canal, I left the genoa up and made 6 knots through the canal with motor on idle.

Winds are gentler now, but I'm under sail heading up the Delaware River. It's been an interesting week thanks to the weather, but we had fun despite our scaled back plans. Saw lots of eagles, ospreys, and herons. And just a second ago I was hit in the face buy a flying Japanese beetle.
You are aware you are not permitted to sail through the canal. It is mandatory that you motor. You were creating a potential hazard to navigation in a narrow channel should a gust of wind and it was gusty shoved you off course.

Chesapeake and Delaware Canal - Navigation, Passage, Transit, & Distance Information

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-05-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
You are aware you are not permitted to sail through the canal. It is mandatory that you motor. You were creating a potential hazard to navigation in a narrow channel should a gust of wind and it was gusty shoved you off course.

Chesapeake and Delaware Canal - Navigation, Passage, Transit, & Distance Information
I am aware of the rules in the canal, and I was following them. I was under motor power, and therefore not under sail by definition. I checked this out a few years ago with a USCG boat that pulled up next to me to verify that my motor was running, and he said what I was doing complied with the rules.

I was not creating a hazard. Neither were the four other sailboats who I saw doing the same thing. I would not put both sails up, because it takes too long to drop them if necessary. But with the genoa up, I can furl it on a second's notice. And my oversized motor is plenty powerful to maintain any course in a gust, but that is irrelevant because there were no gusts. You weren't there to witness the conditions, so really should not judge the hazard of my actions. I also would never tack across the canal, only put up the sail if the wind is from the right direction to give a gentle push.

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-05-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-05-2014

Quote:
I am aware of the rules in the canal, and I was following them. I was under motor power, and therefore not under sail by definition. I checked this out for a few years ago with a USCG boat that pulled up next to me to verify that my motor was running, and he said what I was doing complied with the rules.

I was not creating a hazard. Neither were the four other sailboats who I saw doing the same thing. I would not put both sails up, because it takes too long to drop them if necessary. But with the genoa up, I can furl it on a second's notice. And my oversized motor is plenty powerful to maintain any course in a gust, but that is irrelevant because there were no gusts. You weren't there to witness the conditions, so really should not judge the hazard of my actions. I also would never tack across the canal, only put up the sail if the wind is from the right direction to give a gentle push.
•Sailboats - Transiting the canal by vessels under sail is not permitted between Reedy Point and Welch Point. The use of auxiliary power is mandated.

Sir , unless I read your post wrong you stated you were under sail power with the motor on idle. Having the motor on idle in most explanations means, that it is not your primary means of propulsion.

So how fast does your 25 ft boat go under idle normally in flat water? What component of the speed you were doing was being powered by the small outboard you have under idle. If the majority of your speed came from your sails isn't correct to say you were under sail power?

Yes maybe you want to quibble, but by your own admission you were sailing flirting with the regulations.

You however have also assumed that the other vessels traveling were not using their engines as primary propulsion. Were they all main motoring or did all four have jibs out?

In addition no one ever accused you of trying to tack or anything like that. You superhuman reactions must be superior to mine as a gust could hit your sails and turn your boat before you could react to correct it, that is unless you have some ability to read the gusts.

You say you can furl a sail up in a seconds notice which I challenge. Especially in a large gust or if it gets backwinded or jammed. Something which could happen easily in the canal with a wake of a large cabin cruiser.

The last three days till noon have been particularly gusty with Arthur pulling away combined with frontal passage or were you in a no gust bubble zone. Our friend Shawn was able to sail down the Delaware Bay to Cape May today which in most instances is very rare.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 07-05-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

My 15 horsepower motor is double what is typical for my size and weight boat. On fast idle I can do 4 knots SOW. Somewhere around the route 1 bridge, the canal turned directly into the wind so I furled my Genoa and went on motor alone. At that point I was doing 5.4 knots, so I had about a 1.5 knot current pushing me from behind.

I did not run my motor at a single speed. I set a goal to make 6 knots and unfurled my jib, and adjusted the motor to get to my desired speed. The amount of motoring I needed a varied as I transited the canal.

Three other boats had jibs up, one had main up. I noticed a couple had exhaust coming out of their motors. You'll have to track thm down if you want to ask them how fast their motors were running.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.