Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree191Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2014

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Sailing Season

I have been following your excursion into the Chesapeake Rick, sounds like you had a great time.

I will have some sail on the C&D and motoring, the sail gets me better directional control and helps to dampen the effect of wakes.

Last time through the canal with the current, half throttle on my 6hp Tohatsu and 50% reefed lug sail I got from Chesapeake City to Reedy Point in just over 2 hours, without sail it would have been another 1/2 to 1 hour or more and more attention to the tiller.

Working this weekend to get a project out next week but I may just go for a 2 hr morning sail tomorrow to restore some sanity.
Old 07-05-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulladh View Post
I have been following your excursion into the Chesapeake Rick, sounds like you had a great time.

I will have some sail on the C&D and motoring, the sail gets me better directional control and helps to dampen the effect of wakes.

Last time through the canal with the current, half throttle on my 6hp Tohatsu and 50% reefed lug sail I got from Chesapeake City to Reedy Point in just over 2 hours, without sail it would have been another 1/2 to 1 hour or more and more attention to the tiller.

Working this weekend to get a project out next week but I may just go for a 2 hr morning sail tomorrow to restore some sanity.
I am not questioning the use of a sail. I main motor in the canal. Motoring with the main makes our boat more stable and often adds to the speed like you stated. What I question is using the sail as the MAIN means of propulsion, clearly stated in the regulations it is not supposed to be.

The PP stated he was on idle, now he stubbornly equivocates that there is a fast idle and a slow idle. If the engine is engaged you are not idling. Idling the engine is a disengaged engine and is a clear violation of the regulations.

It now appears he used the wrong terms. Maybe he was running his engine at low rpm, as opposed to idle. Clearly an engine is to be used as primary propulsion in the canal according to the regs. It either is responsible for greater tha half the SOG or it isn't, that's a fact not an opinion.l if the engine is not delivering more than half SOG the vessel is in violation of the regulations.

So Rick was your engine in gear, and was it delivering over half the vessels speed or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

OF COURSE the motor was in gear the whole time.

Dave, it's time to let it go. Your prosecutorial zeal on this is misplaced and unnecessary. Go enjoy the weekend.

I've made my terminology clear in the past:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
En route to Bohemia Bay. No wind, but with a nice push from the current I'm making good time barely above idle speed on the motor.

Quote:
I'll be singlehanding from Bohemia Rive back up to Essington tomorrow. Hopefully the NW wind will allow me to sail most of the way, maybe I'll even keep the jib up in the canal to boost the motor...

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-05-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2014

Quote:
OF COURSE the motor was in gear the whole time.

Dave, it's time to let it go. Your prosecutorial zeal on this is misplaced and unnecessary. Go enjoy the weekend.

I've made my terminology clear in the past:
No prosecutorial zeal at all Rick. Just correcting your terminology error.

Just don't want someone to follow you misguided actions and receive a possible citation and become a hazard to others by following your lead. I willingly admit my mistakes when I make them

So you did use the wrong term after all, you weren't idling. You gear was engaged and you were breaking the regulations. You principal propulsion was your sail.

The other boats you saw I am sure were doing what most other safe sailors were just like Colin, and I do using the sail to maintain balance, be seen around the many blind corners on the canal, and use the sails to BOOST their speed a little.

Just repeat after me...when my car is in gear..its not idling...when my boat is in gear...its not idling

BTW we are having an enjoyable sailing weekend , just like most others. Thank you your concern about my sailing time.

Now back to the regularly scheduled programming. This beautiful sailing weekend with our friends on the Chesapeake Bay.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-06-2014

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Shawn - Did you make it to Worton Creek? We went back to retrieve our car at 1700, and saw this:

It was pretty scary looking.

By the way, we did have a few Japanese Beetles land in our boat as we were crossing the mouth of the Sassafras.
As Dave mentioned...we waited till the front passed then left Rock Creek and arrived at Worton around 9:30 and anchored inside. Left early for Reedy Island and in Cape May tonight...then onto points north Sunday.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 07-06-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
You gear was engaged and you were breaking the regulations. You principal propulsion was your sail.

The other boats you saw I am sure were doing what most other safe sailors were just like Colin, and I do using the sail to maintain balance, be seen around the many blind corners on the canal, and use the sails to BOOST their speed a little.
My principal propulsion was the motor, which was in gear the whole time but speed was within the idle range marked on my throttle. I was completely safe and compliant with the regulations. Your accusation is incorrect.

With jib up I was averaging 6 knots, occasionally as high as 6.5, thanks in part to a favorable current. Immediately after furling the jib I dropped back to 5.4 knots at the same motor setting. Your accusation is thus proven wrong.

You seem to be obsessed with picking on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
...Just repeat after me...when my car is in gear..its not idling...when my boat is in gear...its not idling
Curb the attitude, pal.

An automatic transmission car certainly can be in gear at idle speed. It's what causes it to creep ahead when sitting at a red light. If you release the brake on a level surface, the car will move ahead at about 5 knots.
WGEwald likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-06-2014

[QUOTE=TakeFive;1990129]My principal propulsion was the motor, which was in gear the whole time but speed was within the idle range marked on my throttle. I was completely safe and compliant with the regulations. Your accusation is incorrect.

With jib up I was averaging 6 knots, occasionally as high as 6.5, thanks in part to a favorable current. Immediately after furling the jib I dropped back to 5.4 knots at the same motor setting. Your accusation is thus proven wrong.

You seem to be obsessed with picking on me.

Curb the attitude, pal.

An automatic transmission car certainly can be in gear at idle speed. It's what causes it to creep ahead when sitting at a red light. If you release the brake on a level surface, the car will move ahead at about 5 knots. [QUOTE]

backstroke

I have an outboard on my dingy...It is clearly marked on the transmission lever reverse-neutral ( or idle{ no load)- forward. The manual also talks about setting the idle speed so it doesnt stall when putting into gear, and it refers to idling when it is in neutral not in gear in the instructions.

The attitude is yours- you always get when when proven wrong and BTW "pal" is patronizing
The term moving idle speed is a Rickism...created by you.

An automatic transmission car certainly can be in gear at idle speedIncorrect
If it is in gear.by definition use of the term idle is incorrect with it as there is no such thing as idle speed or the term fast idle you also used ( cannot be ingear and have a load on it). You are using the term incoorectly and doggedly trying to hold on to it.

Idling- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idle_(engine)
Idling 'http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/06/health/engines-new-york-law/
Idling | Define Idling at Dictionary.com

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 07-06-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-06-2014

4arch is on a distinguished road

This was a beautiful and ideal sailing weekend on the Chesapeake - the kind we're lucky to get a little more than a handful of in any sailing season.

We hunkered down at the marina on Friday and got to know some of our neighbors a little better. Saw gusts of a little over 30 knots in the slip at the height of the Arthur wind mid to late afternoon. Sharon had a full glass of water blow off the cockpit table and one of the gusts created enough of a pressuere differential to blow one of our engine compartment side doors open. In the evening we went to the marina's 4th of July cookout and then back to the boat for fireworks. We had a great view of the Baltimore harbor display from our slip.

Saturday morning we took off in the still brisk winds and had a fun reaching sail out of the Patapsco. Decided to head up to Worton and were able to make it close hauled up the bay until the wind died just south Poole's Island. Motored the last few miles and dropped the hook in the outer anchorage where we had a great view of a bald eagle perched on a tree not too far from us. At dark we saw another fireworks display that must have been at Fairlee.

This morning we took off early and beat our way back down the bay in 12-14 knots. Had a great time doing long tacks back and forth til we got to the Patapsco.

Hope to be out again next weekend as long as the typical July heat and lack of wind don't materialize.
T37Chef likes this.
Old 07-07-2014

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Survived another major holiday weekend from the weather and from usual idiots found on the Bay by anchoring in one of several undisclosed location(s) which also provided fireworks...

Also it was good to practice heavy weather techniques on Friday after the cold front passed for those few that ventured out..
Old 07-07-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Circumstances conspired against me, to prevent me from doing any overnight cruising. I had to settle for a couple of daysails.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.