Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: 2014 Sailing Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
What you say about stories is true...
I think part of it is the one-upsmanship practiced by some of the storytellers.

My one ride down into the Delaware Bay last year (to Miah Maull Light and back) started as peaceful as it could be. I had reefed ahead of time expecting the worst, and let out all my sail area on the way down. I was thinking, "Hmmm, why does everyone tell such horror stories?" Then after I rounded the light around 1:30 PM, 15 kt breeze came out of the SE and kicked up a 3' (maybe even 4') chop, almost breaking on my stern.

When we finally did get back to Cohansey Creek, we met a really nice couple in a sizeable cabin cruiser who were heading down to Cape May. They had attempted to make it down that day and turned back because it was too rough for them.

So things can change very suddenly, especially with the long fetch to the ocean. But I suspect that most of the time it's manageable. But my experience has made me more reluctant to attempt going down to Cape May on my little boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 08-14-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
What you say about stories is true. I'm sure my trip around is terribly dull, and I'm fine with that.
Boring sails are the best! Excitement is over-rated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
But my experience has made me more reluctant to attempt going down to Cape May on my little boat.
Size matters.
T37Chef and chef2sail like this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-14-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Size definitely matters when it comes to boat size. I've sailed comfortably on my 33 Morgan in conditions that I would not have taken my 27 Catalina away from the dock in. I've only traversed the length of Delaware Bay twice and both times it was in a powerboat. There were times, especially in mid summer, when we began the trip on mirror smooth water only to end up in 6-foot, breaking seas on the way home. Damned bay can sure kick up in a hurry.

Gary
Old 08-17-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Well I am one of the story tellers. Embellish everything I can just for the hell of it. There are no greenheads on the Delaware I am fibbing. One my trip down last Friday we didn't see any so they must have made the endangered species list and now are extinct. No need to prepare in the future. Bare your skin now. Nothing to fear anymore. ( till you have a following wind from the marshes)

As far as the Delaware being a potentially hard place to sail or sometimes transit, that too was fabricated. In my 60+ transits 90% were uneventful boring no issues. The other fabricated incidents like the famous square waves with chop of 3 ft at 4 second intervals' the thunderstorms with vivid lightning hitting around you including the lighthouses and ruins, and the golf ball sized hail. , were really dreams albet sailing nightmares and should be relegated to tall stories and sailing lore.

In my sailing history it is one of my least favorite places to transit and I am thankful when that leg us done on our journeys.

Understand if I lived in that part of South Jersey ( damn I did for 20 years) and that was my only place to sail I would make the best of it. I am not denigrating someone else's sailing area, just saying where it fits in for me.

One page in a book does not tell the story.
TakeFive likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-18-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Sometimes I simply do not understand your hostility.

I never said that greenheads do not exist on the Delaware, or that the chop is overstated, or that people are lying about the conditions.

All I was trying to convey, is that I was very, very fortunate not to have encountered those trials during my sail up the Delaware. It's a very unseasonably cool summer which may have suppressed the flies, and catching a following wind and current up the bay was simply my good luck.
T37Chef likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-18-2014

Quote:
Sometimes I simply do not understand your hostility.

I never said that greenheads do not exist on the Delaware, or that the chop is overstated, or that people are lying about the conditions.

All I was trying to convey, is that I was very, very fortunate not to have encountered those trials during my sail up the Delaware. It's a very unseasonably cool summer which may have suppressed the flies, and catching a following wind and current up the bay was simply my good luck.
Wasn't really meant for you my friend. Was meant for the crack about one upsmanship and story tellers comment which obviously was a reflection of my harping about the New Jersey state bird being called a greenhead, or the Bay and Delaware being up hospitable sometimes

I was following you and your voyage the whole way and was glad you made it so gracefully. Even recommended the Betterton stop on the Sassafras.

Glad you had and uneventfull trip and the Delaware was so kind to you, course .....it's never rough and greenheads are figments of my imagination.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-18-2014
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What you say about stories is true. I'm sure my trip around is terribly dull, and I'm fine with that.

I really enjoyed the northern Bay. I've never been up that far before. I loved the homes, high up on the cliffs. The communities on the sides of the C&D canal were quaint.
I agree, the northern Bay is really beautiful. You really see the full contrast in shoreline with a Delmarva cruise.
Old 08-18-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I agree, the northern Bay is really beautiful. You really see the full contrast in shoreline with a Delmarva cruise.
I'm enjoying my trips down into the upper bay more each time I do them. We are ;ooking forward to another trip over Labor Day if weather and schedules permit.

I was agreeing with Dave's frequent criticisms of the Delaware Bay in this post, however my agreement was stated in a more nuanced way that may have been overlooked by some:
Quote:
...My one ride down into the Delaware Bay last year (to Miah Maull Light and back) started as peaceful as it could be. I had reefed ahead of time expecting the worst, and let out all my sail area on the way down. I was thinking, "Hmmm, why does everyone tell such horror stories?" Then after I rounded the light around 1:30 PM, 15 kt breeze came out of the SE and kicked up a 3' (maybe even 4') chop, almost breaking on my stern.

When we finally did get back to Cohansey Creek, we met a really nice couple in a sizeable cabin cruiser who were heading down to Cape May. They had attempted to make it down that day and turned back because it was too rough for them.

So things can change very suddenly, especially with the long fetch to the ocean. But I suspect that most of the time it's manageable. But my experience has made me more reluctant to attempt going down to Cape May on my little boat.
Sometimes it seems like any attempt to make a more nuanced statement, or invoke any humor, is taken with great offense. Hence my tongue-in-cheek comment about one-upsmanship. By the way, my comment was not directed solely at Dave. There's plenty of one-upsmanship here to go around.

I like Dave and appreciate his contributions here, and the great hospitality he has shown to me and virtually everyone else who sought it. My little attempt at humor was not meant to be offensive, and I regret that it was taken that way by Dave.
T37Chef likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 08-18-2014

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Hostility towards another? Here...on a public forum? No...never happens.

I didn't see one green head whatever it is either...I just assumed its because we don't shower much, didn't know they were extinct!

Move along now...cheers

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 08-18-2014

Quote:
I'm enjoying my trips down into the upper bay more each time I do them. We are ;ooking forward to another trip over Labor Day if weather and schedules permit.

I was agreeing with Dave's frequent criticisms of the Delaware Bay in this post, however my agreement was stated in a more nuanced way that may have been overlooked by some:

Sometimes it seems like any attempt to make a more nuanced statement, or invoke any humor, is taken with great offense. Hence my tongue-in-cheek comment about one-upsmanship. By the way, my comment was not directed solely at Dave. There's plenty of one-upsmanship here to go around.

I like Dave and appreciate his contributions here, and the great hospitality he has shown to me and virtually everyone else who sought it. My little attempt at humor was not meant to be offensive, and I regret that it was taken that way by Dave.
None taken Rick...I guess my attempt at humor came across sarcastic. Now that's something I never have been accused of...however I have been accused of much worse by some and their friends, but in that case looking at the source ...who cares.....

Now back to your regularly scheduled program. 2014 sailing season I think I started this thread as...

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 08-18-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.