Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree181Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2014 Sailing Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I dont know what your reading but all I stated was my thoughts...chil out cheffy...if you interpret my post as making fun of you or others, being disrespectful thats your problem not mine. Whats the sayin...not my monkey...not my circus. Do us both a favor and put me on ignore just like I will you...later dude!!!
No worries...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2014

Today finds us in Milford, Conneticut a quaint quiet place about 20 miles east of Norwalk and the thimble Islands. The town has great restaurants, good marine facilities, nice people and transient docking for $2.50 at an all transient facility.

This is definately a place I would but on the itinerary of anyone who likes small NE Towns and good local food. The ice cream shop, Scoopy-do has great pistachio gelato too rivaling Aldos in Block Island

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 08-22-2014

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Finally back on the boat this weekend. We havent had the chance as family to get back since our trip to LIS. I did two solo sails during the week but that was it House and family commitments.

Looks to be beautiful weekend on the bay with light winds, 10-15 out of the east...i think we may head South of the Patapsco, possibly Annapolis/Severn River? Temps in the 70s in August? Wow thats awesome right.

I am starting to look at solar panels so we can be off the grid = $100 boat bucks? Um...the admiral has approved the purchase...yay ;-)

Whoop whoop

Cheers

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 08-22-2014

Spent the day traveling to Newport our furthest point North. Couple days here then to Block for a day. Sailing has been awesome. So has the weather.

Would love to recruit some fellow Chesapeake Bay Sailnetters for a trip up here with us next year. Spent some or all of the time we do. Break away for time. Just to experience the culture of different communities is a treat.

We will leave around the middle of August taking the two plus weeks 17 days preceding and through Labor Day

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 08-23-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Shawn, here's the panel I purchased for my Morgan, made the mounting brackets from inexpensive Bimini fittings and attached it to the stern rail where it's completely out of the way and not shaded. Works great. Grape Solar 100-Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panel for RV's, Boats and 12-Volt Systems-GS-Star-100W at The Home Depot

You're more than welcome to visit and see how I rigged everything.

Gary
T37Chef likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to travlineasy For This Useful Post:
T37Chef (08-23-2014)
Old 08-24-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Dave took Worton which I like also.

After the canal in order

Bohemia River- only the southern side is deep enough for most of us...subject to rolling from shuips wakes

Sassafras- off of Betterton ( south side

Still Pond- As nice as Worton

Worton- outside is fine except in SW/ West winds
inside- well protected

Fairlee- dont bother

Rock Hall- Swan Creek- nice
I'd appreciate some advice on getting into Still Pond for a first-timer, and also where to anchor in various wind conditions.

Is Still Pond Creek beyond the dredged channel accessible for a sailboat, or do you have to stay in the outer area?
T37Chef likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 08-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I'd appreciate some advice on getting into Still Pond for a first-timer, and also where to anchor in various wind conditions.

Is Still Pond Creek beyond the dredged channel accessible for a sailboat, or do you have to stay in the outer area?
My first visit to Still Pond Creek was in 1986 aboard a Bristol 35.5 CB, been there numerous times since. So it is accessible by sailboat, nothing over 5' if i recall. Often you will see more PB inside for obvious reasons. The channel is marked but does shift. Last time we went into the creek approaching the inlet we bumped a couple of times figuring our way through, doing it with only a compass and charts. Once through the narrow inlet with considable current during tide changes you will stay very close to shore until you pass the green can marker. Your mast may come close to some tree branches, our mast is 53', you may be fine. Take it slow, once "inside" you will have to feel your way around. Theres water near the Coast Guard Station, a fairly large sandbar/shallow area beyond. Then it opens up some.

Outside in Still Pond you will find a great ancorage in anything but a NW blow as you can see on the charts.

Both are beautiful, one of our favorites on the bay, the creek is excellent in all weather.

Good luck

Last edited by T37Chef; 08-24-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2014

Still Pond

We don't go inside except in a dinghy. It's shallow and usually lots of PB , waterskiers and jet skiers. Once in a while we see a sailboat in there, but mot worth the risk cause the outside is great area for swimming.

Howeve we often anchor in the outside part. You can get protect from wind in all directions and ship wakes by tucking in close to the sw side beyound inside the point. 8 ft depths. The PB use the extreme s beach area to party and often have they small boats beached there

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 08-25-2014

Saturday was rain with good wind so we headed South, ended up in Annapolis and took a mooring on Spa Creek. Later, just by chance we met up with Jozrulz and his family for Ice Cream downtown at Kilwins on Main St. We hung out for a while listening to a band play at the end of "Ego Alley" while our kids danced off the sugar rush Good seeing you Jim, next time we pick a date but how funny was that...hey we're on 35, where you?

Skies cleared today as we set out around 11:15 to catch the 11:30 opening. Light winds most of the day but very pleasant, especially for August! We tacked our way back and forth up the bay getting into port about 6:00 ... I think we averaged a measly 3.5 knots, hitting only 6 once of twice for a brief period. Tuna tacos for lunch were a big hit.

Got back to Rock Creek and gave the boat a good scrub down then had dinner in the clubhouse. My chicken was actually pretty good?

All in all a great weekend!

Oh yea, I forgot the auto pilot went down...but I found the issue and will solder the connection and be back in business for the upcoming holiday weekend. Its always something isnt it?!

Cheers

Last edited by T37Chef; 08-25-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-06-2014

Went for an early morning solo sail...was perfect. Sailed from the slip out the creek and east for a while. Sailed back tacking through the channel and around a sister boat anchored of the basin before sailing right into the slip. I turned the motor on just in case. Furled the head sail a little late as i had to use a burst of reverse to slow the boat. There is something special about sailing alone. Back at the slip it was hot but gave the boat a scrub down and caught a couple crabs with my net...kids on the dock fishing got a kick out of them

The sunrise was spectacular, unfortunately I am still not able to upload pictures using the new forum mode? Error message???

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.