Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2014

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: 2014 Sailing Season

Well we didn't go out Monday the 31st as planned for opening day but I think this weekend we'll get out, even just for a short sail out to the bay. Looks to be a good weekend on the bay, wave if you see us anyone Maybe Donna in her Malo

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Shawn, man, you're making me jealous. I probably won't be in the water for at least another 6 weeks - too much work to do.

Gary
Old 04-03-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I am on the hard still, and blocked in by two large powerboats. Between work and evening commitments, I've only been able to find hour-long slivers of time to stop by the boat on the way home from work. Monday I pulled the cover. Yesterday I scraped off all loose bottom paint. Today I applied sand-free primer to the bare spots, followed by bottom paint on those spots once the adhesion promoter was tacky. Weather permitting, I plan to polish the hull in a couple sessions this weekend, in between other stuff.

I hope to launch on Friday, April 18, but with 10 days of travel between now and then, I'll have very little time to wax the hull, raise the mast, and test the motor. If I miss my target date it will be another week delay because of unfavorable tides at the sling lift. And if the big boats blocking me in don't splash first, I will continue to be blocked in. It's a private club, so they will not launch a boat without the owner present, and the owners tend to run and hide if they're not ready to launch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 04-07-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Finished a complete compound and wax using the Mainesail method the last few weekends and it was the best job the old gal Haleakula has seen. That Makita is the ticket for sure...though it gets heavy as the afternoon goes on. Used the 3M compund, Fiinesse, a the good paste wax as well

The have reglassed the 4 inch crack and replaced the shaft log and the shaft is out being trued so our splash is [probably within a few weeks. This is the lastest by a month for us to be in and out sailing.

Starting to plan our Long Island Trip beginning August 13.

Cant wait to raft up with Brain see Sharons and his luxuary yacht.

Dave
T37Chef, jameswilson29 and jimgo like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-07-2014

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Dave,

Got out yesterday for the first time. It was amazingly cold! Water at Thomas Pt is 47 degrees! Winds were 0-8 from the East. Race practice starts Saturday, so I'm hoping it warms up! Start to the Bermuda race is less than 2 months!
chef2sail likes this.
Old 04-20-2014

Ok.,,,,finally we are ready to go. Splashing on Wednesday,

We finally identified what caused the 4" crack in the shaft log. About 18 monmths ago we had everything replaced from the coupler back ( coupler, shaft, cutlass) and also had new motor mounts done. Evidently the nuts must be torqued again after a settling in operiod of 9 months so both the from nuts dropped off the motor mounts. The engine shifted and laid against the shaft log and cracked it. New fix has backup nuts to prevent this from happening again.,

It will feel good to finally get to sleep on the boat and get out on the water.

dave
T37Chef and jimgo like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-21-2014

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We finally identified what caused the 4" crack in the shaft log. About 18 monmths ago we had everything replaced from the coupler back ( coupler, shaft, cutlass) and also had new motor mounts done. Evidently the nuts must be torqued again after a settling in operiod of 9 months so both the from nuts dropped off the motor mounts. The engine shifted and laid against the shaft log and cracked it. New fix has backup nuts to prevent this from happening again.,

dave
Covered under warranty..or..an excuse from the repair dealer that it was not their fault..??
Old 04-21-2014

No excuses Haven Harbor honors their work

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 04-22-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Sorry to hear about the shaftlog fubar, but glad to hear you're fixed and on the water again.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
The Following User Says Thank You to BubbleheadMd For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (04-22-2014)
Old 04-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Sorry to hear about the shaftlog fubar, but glad to hear you're fixed and on the water again.
Taught me a lesson. Torquing the bolts on the engine mounts and having another nut there so they dont back off is not an option...but SOP every year like changing the impeller, changing the fuel filter, and tightening the belts.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-