Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree77Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2014

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: 2014 Sailing Season

Mostly Sunny and 70's this weekend...oh yea. I don't care if there is wind or not but were going to anchor somewhere for night and toast the start of our season with a nice red, maybe a cab or pinot...um decisions decisions.

(we'll avoid Bodkin creek, apparently folks on the shore like to shoot at boats)

Maybe I'll even get motivated to install the new fridge Probably not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Mostly Sunny and 70's this weekend...oh yea. I don't care if there is wind or not but were going to anchor somewhere for night and toast the start of our season with a nice red, maybe a cab or pinot...um decisions decisions.

(we'll avoid Bodkin creek, apparently folks on the shore like to shoot at boats)

Maybe I'll even get motivated to install the new fridge Probably not.
Good to see you guys have gotten out. Ho[pe to have Haleakula home by this weekend.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-24-2014

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough

Planning an 0-dark-thirty departure from Herring Bay to Deltaville on Saturday. Wanted to leave Friday evening and go overnight, but Mother Nature says No.

Saturday should give us a beam to broad reach in 15G20+, but I'll take that over 30 on the nose at night.
Old 04-24-2014

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Our lady made the short motor home with no issues. Water leakage problem fixed. So we spent the day cleaning. Putting water through the fresh water system, I was doing first flush in the head , when the sprayer/ faucet combo exploded in my face. First casualty of the sailing season. Order a new Scandivic from a Defender on sale. Looks like we may get out Sunday if we can bring all the cushions back, get the sails on and put the boat back together

Felt good to get back on the water

Dave
T37Chef, TakeFive and jimgo like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-25-2014
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I've had two races so far.

First race, we were 15 minutes behind the winner, uncorrected.
2nd race, we were less than 6 minutes behind the winner, uncorrected.

3:13 behind the winner on corrected time. The second race was in 25kts, gusting to 33kts.

Good times.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 04-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I've had two races so far.

First race, we were 15 minutes behind the winner, uncorrected.
2nd race, we were less than 6 minutes behind the winner, uncorrected.

3:13 behind the winner on corrected time. The second race was in 25kts, gusting to 33kts.

Good times.
YeeHa! Looks like we're in for a full day of that tomorrow, but if we do get the forecast winds at least they will be going more or less the same direction we are. No way would I try to beat into that.

The late forecast for the Deltaville area has the winds subsiding, so if we can hang on long enough to get past the Potomac we'll be golden.

Still have a bailout plan for Solomon's or maybe one of the creeks past Smith Point if its too rough.
Old 04-25-2014
Chastened

It looks like if you wait until 0800 to get underway, you should have pleasant sailing. The start might be a little rough, but it'll get better.

In fact, you might even be wishing for a little push.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 04-25-2014

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Wednesday night was wild in Annapolis, with gusts to 35, one dismasting and one shredded sail.

Doing the AYC distance race on my boat this weekend as a tune-up to the Bermuda race. It should be a reach all the way down the bay, and upwind all the way back. So much for the prevailing SW breeze!
Joel
Old 04-25-2014
Chastened

Turns out there were two dismastings- A Viper and a J/105. The J/30-something tore their clew out.

Exciting times.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 04-27-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
It looks like if you wait until 0800 to get underway, you should have pleasant sailing. The start might be a little rough, but it'll get better.

In fact, you might even be wishing for a little push.
Well the forecast was off a bit. The two guys that agreed to help crew and I spent Friday night on the boat for our planned 4 AM departure. At a bit before 3 AM was was awakened by the boat heaving in the slip and feeling the mast vibrate with the wind. I thought for sure we'd be going nowhere, so turned off the alarm and went back to sleep. At about quarter to 5, I woke up again and noticed the boat was still, so I took a peek around the marina finding it calm. A quick weather re-check showed the Gale waring ending at 6AM, so since the winds seemed to have already subsided we decided to depart. We joined the parade of workboats leaving Rockhold Creek and entered the Bay at 5:30 AM, expecting we'd be facing SCA conditions most of the day. What we found were minor waves barely whitecapping and going our direction. The wind was almost nonexistent, so the trip was totally unlike what I was mentally prepared for. Not only did we not need a reefed main, there wasn't enough wind to attempt to sail most of the day. However by mid morning we were motorsailing with jib only with comfortable cruise RPM the waves and a ebb tide gave us ground speeds touching 8 knots and averaging at least mid 7's for much of the day. Crossing the Potomac where I expected the roughest conditions, was actually the calmest. The wind got even softer here and dropped our speed into the mid 6's. Once past Smith Point the winds increased into the mid teens but had clocked to be on the nose so even here we couldn't take advantage of it and keeping our VMG in the 6+ knot range.

ET was almost exactly 12 hours (missed the Marinas Opening Day happy hour but were there in time for the start of the BBQ Dinner) to cover the roughly 80 NM from Herring Bay to Broad Creek giving a average VMG of 6.75. My wife drove down and was able to catch part of the happy hour and join us for dinner. The welcome from all our old Stingray Point friends really made it feel like coming home. It was great getting caught up with everyone.
T37Chef and jimgo like this.

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 04-28-2014 at 09:53 AM.