SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2014 Sailnet Chesapeake Bay Rendezvous...

18K views 150 replies 22 participants last post by  travlin-easy 
#1 ·
Thus far there have been no concrete plans for a 2014 Chesapeake Bay Sailnet Rendezvous. Sure would like to put that on my calendar, and while it's difficult to believe, summer is just not that far away.

If Dave (Chef To Sail) doesn't host it again at Maryland Yacht Club, I was thinking about the newly created island that has recently become a popular party spot in the bay's upper reaches near the southern end of the Havre de Grace channel at the old Fishing Battery Light. Dredging spoils from a couple years ago were deposited around the old island, which was a couple acres at best, creating a new island that is 20 to 30 acres. The water is relatively deep close to shore, and the island would make a great place for a rendezvous if Dave decides to let someone else take the reigns this summer.

Unfortunately, the marina where I'm at has no transient slips, or I would propose this to the marina owners and I'm confident they would go for it.

Just thought I would toss this option into the hat to see what you folks thought.

Gary :cool:

#37 · (Edited)
Last time I was at Delaware City August 9 last year, most of the town dock was sitting in mud at low low tide.

I am OK with sailing/motor sailing on the river at night, I prefer good moon light and sailing into sunrise rather than sailing into and past dusk. Essington to the up-river end of Cherry Island Flats has to much large ship traffic for comfort but Cherry Island Flats back channel to the Bulk Head Shoal back channel is OK.

An early predawn start at Essington with breakfast at Delaware City while waiting for a favorable current in the C&D would be a good plan. If we let the Delaware City Marina know we are only staying for a few hours it will probably be ok with them.

edit;

Friday June 13, 2014 moon rise 9:00 PM, moon set 6:00 AM, 99% visible.

I propose sailnet rendezvous weekend of June 14-15.
Anybody ready to propose location?

#39 ·
Just tossed some additional locations out for folks think about. The sand island at the end of Havre De Grace Channel, also known as Battery Island has absolutely no facilities - it's a barren island surrounding the old Fishing Battery Lighthouse. You would have to Med-Moor to the island and rafting there is out of the question because of heavy boat traffic in the nearby channel and too many huge wakes that could potentially damage rafted boats.

Another option is Worton Creek, where the water is about 6 feet deep at low tide in front of Worton Creek Marina. There's a nice restaurant just up the hill from the marina, too. This is a place where rafting would be very safe, even for those that wish to raft overnight. Here's a link to the restaurant Harbor House Restaurant - Home

Rock Hall's Sailing Emporium might be agreeable to this and they have lots of dockage, plus there's room for anchoring out. The only problem I've found with Rock Hall is the skeeters tend to take over when the sun goes down.

There's a great anchorage area just southeast of the Havre de Grace Basin, where lots of folks raft up all summer long and go skinny dipping (Not for me - I don't look good naked anymore). Obviously no facilities, but nice place to raft up. Lots of great restaurants in Havre de Grace, and some transient dockage there as well.

Baltimore's Inner Harbor is not where you want to drop the hook - the bottom is nasty and holding is fair at best. Plus there's lots of boat traffic that can make rafting a real problem.

Same holds true for rafting up in the Magothy near Dobson Island or Gibson Island. Lots of large powerboats roll through that area, sending out huge wakes.

I'm open to any and all suggestions and more than willing to investigate additional locations to determine the feasibility of setting up something for a Sailnet Rendezvous.

You can email me at travlin_easy@verizon.net.

#40 ·
I like the suggestion of Worton Creek Marina. They have nice facilities, reasonably priced, swimming pool. Our one visit to Harbor House was very nice, with friendly staff and good food. The creek offers good options for anyone who prefers to anchor. I do recall that the terrain blocks out any breeze, making for some sticky nights. We ran the air conditioner off shore power the time we were there.

Most importantly for Ulladh and me, it is reachable for us. If we make it to Bohemia on our first day, it's a 5 hour trip to Worton. If we only make it to Chesapeake City the first day, it's 7 hours to Worton. So we have some options to get to Worton if there are weather delays.

Magothy River or Rock Hall would be 9 hours from Bohemia. That makes for two very long days each way, giving very little room for any weather delays in a four-day weekend.

I don't want to be too pushy about this, since I'm not even 100% sure that family commitments will allow for us to make it, but that's my suggestion for a destination that Ulladh and I can make in a four-day weekend.

#42 ·
I'm also going to talk with the owners of the marina where I'm at. There's a new, 10-slip transient dock just a block from the marina, deep water, 20 feet or so, easy access. I have to look into what restrictions there may be. It is owned by the town of Perryville, I believe. If I can swing this, then I may be able to use the pool and patio area of the marina, which would be perfect, and within easy driving distance from Baltimore, Annapolis, Philadelphia and south Jersey. I'll see what I can find out tomorrow.

The only problem I see is the Amtrac Railroad Bridge at Perryville - the vertical clearance is just 50 feet.

#44 ·
Planning an event around the potential of flying biting insects can be somewhat frustrating.

Depending on local micro-climate variation the mosquito season will start when temperatures are above 50 F.

By May and June conditions will be just right for mosquito and midge/no-see-um, and if we get an early spring and no late frost we may see them in late April.

Just hope for a few days of low humidity and or strong breezes.

Worton would be my 1st choice for a rendezvous location, but I am open for any location north of Rock Hall to Havre de Grace.

#45 ·
I just checked with my marina, they would be more than happy to host the event in June, said they'll have some transient slips available at $25 a night, and $5 per person for those driving for use of the pool area and patio. That's a Hell of a good deal.

Additionally, I just checked with the City Of Perryville about their new town marina, there are 10 transient slips available, no charge, and you can dock there for up to 24 hours. The slips are wide and deep, and it's just a short walk of less than 1/4 mile to Owens Marina, which is where I've tentatively set things up for the event.

NOW - I'll need some commitments from you guys. The proposed dates are all Saturdays - June 7, 14 and 28. The management at the marina said any of those dates will be fine, but would prefer either the 7th or 14th, because they have a big party scheduled for July 4th and it takes a lot of preparation in the pool area.

I'll also need a list of those who plan to attend and whether you will be coming by car or boat so I can make arrangements for dockage.

Please email me at travlin_easy@verizon.net if you are planning to attend and whether or not you will be arriving by boat. Keep in mind that if you are coming by boat, the bridge clearance at the Amtrac Railroad Bridge, which is 1/2 mile south of the marina, is JUST 50 FEET! If your mast is higher, there is a great anchorage area just south of the bridge in the Havre de Grace Basin, then you can dinghy to the marina and park the dinghy right next to the pool/patio.

Now, lets talk about the good stuff. As usual, I'll be more than happy to provide the musical entertainment. That part is easy.

Also, I'll mix up a big batch of homemade Kahlua. There will be a large gas grill there for our use, if you have lawn chairs, bring them, but there are some around the pool as well. There's also a couple picnic tables.

The pool will be open and available for anyone that wishes to take a dip.

Navigating the Havre de Grace Channel is a piece of cake, however, the boating traffic can be somewhat heavy on weekends. The channel is about 100 yards wide, 18 to 20 feet deep, but if you stray outside the channel markers you are definitely going to run aground. The channel was newly dredged just two years ago and has some barge/tug traffic.

Bugs can be somewhat of a problem this time of year, but they're not nearly as bad as they are at locations farther south, such as Worton Creek and Rock Hall. Hey, we're on the water in a massive estuary/tidal marsh - that's where the bugs live.

Please contact me ASAP with any recommendations, and intent to attend.

#49 ·
If this is going to happen in Havre de Grace, someone should keep an eye on any Conowingo dam releases in case those sailing need to be warned of debris. I believe that they publicize the known (not storm related) releases in the LNM and on their website.

#50 ·
It is looking like the Admiral and I will be able to make it (by boat) on June 14. Please hold a slip for me at your marina.

#94 · (Edited)
Gary - Thanks for your hospitality, and your extra efforts to make for an enjoyable time in all weather conditions. Despite others' suggestions to the contrary, I stand by my statement from a week ago:

Let me know whom/when I need to contact to reserve a slip.

...Different things work for different people and this is why I'm glad the event is at a place where people have the option of arriving by boat or by car.
I look forward to seeing you there.

#51 ·
While its nice that Gary has offered to take the lead and offer hospitality, the location really is not a great one for almost all the rest of us.

This may sound negative, but does this location really fit the majority of people who have attended this event in the past.

One of the neat things about the Rondevous which made it different from just a winter hangout where everyone came by car was that we got to bring our boats ( afterall we are sailnet). The location you seem gung ho about will prevent sailing to it realistically. So most would have to come by car.

Having this in Harve de Grace area really only benefits only a a few having it so far north and probably will eliminate many who came in the past in the central Bay like Annopolis, Chester, West, and even Middle River areas. I almost forgot Jorge and Dave from the Puxtuxet too. unless they come by car. I understand you guys from that area and the Delaware River area had a long trip to come to Rock Creek, but most of the particuipants ( the smalllest number of attendence was the last one where the weather surrounding the days sucked) was 53 peope) Of that were a 12-18 boats and for most it was a 4-5 hour sail, or a one half hour car ride to the Patapsco from where they kept their boats. Its a long trip for those from my area by boat and even by car. 95 at the toll frequently get backed up many miles in the summer. The bridge is in the way for most who would want attended with their boats as they did in the past years, and most who anchored or docked at the MDYC had masts greater than 50 ft.

So we would have to anchor in the current filled potentially debris filled Susquehanna River and dinghy away from our boat and leave it for 4-5 hours. Not something I would care to do or would consider doing In addition the 45 minute to 1 hour winding channel is a pain in the ass to negotiate with lots of very skinny water next to it. Any NW wind will make that even trickier. Thats is if there is any wind at all. There is less and less wind as you travel north from the Patapsco to Turkey Point. If you chose that area I would have it in Havre de Grace as there is a nice park and nice munipal marinia there...neat restaurants etc.

Worton inside is very tight with anchoring but no real rafting. Large mooring area Most of us who chose to go to Worton ( we go about 4 times a summer) go and stay in the outside anchorage. Nice breeze and no bugs at all. Pleanty of room. Can get rolly in a SW breeze. The marina is nice as are the owners as Rick said.

I think you should also look at Still Pond a little north of Worton. Its another place T37chef, 4arch and I frequent as I am sure others from the central chesapeake do. . No nettles so you can swim. There is a little park and area to meet onshore, but someone would have to find out about it.

As I mentioned before we would like to participate, but dont really want to come to a sailing Rondevous by car if not necessary. Just one mans opinion.

Dave

Reactions: jameswilson29
#53 · (Edited)
Is true. Wondering why then all the machinations about going two long days etc etc.

I would still be very wary about anchoring in the spot Gary mentiipned and leaving you boat for a numer of hours

Havre de Grace would sill be a much nicer spot IMHO. Neat waterfront city. Great location for a Northern Chesapeaken Delaware River Rondevous.

I would also still check out Still Pond. Nice place to anchor small park and easily accesable from canal, sassafrass, bohemia, and reachable in less than 5 hours from middle river and rock hall and patapsco. More could come by boat Might get more people just saying.

Reactions: jameswilson29
#55 · (Edited)
Is true. Wondering why then all the machinations about going two long days etc etc...I would also still check out Still Pond. Nice place to anchor small park and easily accesable from canal, sassafrass, bohemia, and reachable in less than 5 hours from middle river and rock hall and patapsco. More could come by boat Might get more people just saying.
I'm not sure what "machinations" you're talking about. Shawn suggested to just pick a place and time, and people can come if they want. That's what Ulladh and I (and Gary) were doing, and its reasonable that we are going to want a time that's within two days by boat from our home port. We narrowed it down to a range of places, and Gary very kindly suggested his home marina, which happens to be within our range. So it seems to me that we're doing exactly what Shawn suggested, and we're so grateful to Gary for stepping up.

Your suggestion of Still Pond is a great one, so if you want to host an event there, pick a different date and I'll try to make that one too. Or if Gary wants to move his event there instead on June 14, that's fine too. But until that happens, I'm going to support Gary's kind generosity. He deserves that support due to his willingness to take this on.

...Havre de Grace would sill be a much nicer spot IMHO. Neat waterfront city. Great location for a Northern Chesapeaken Delaware River Rondevous...
Gee, you were trashing that location in your prior post. It's just a dinghy ride away from Perryville, so it seems like an easy option for people who prefer to leave their boats in HdG while attending Gary's event in Perryville. Gary's marina has a pool and inexpensive slips, and easy access to Havre de Grace for those who want to add that to their itinerary.

...In addition the 45 minute to 1 hour winding channel is a pain in the ass to negotiate with lots of very skinny water next to it....
You might want to update your local knowledge. I had heard these complaints before, but ended up motoring through that channel last August. I was all prepared for the worst, and found that the channel was straight as an arrow (except for gentle curve near Fishing Battery), very wide, and plenty deep. I know things change over time, but it was much better than the descriptions I heard here, apparently because of dredging in 2011.

I would also prefer not to have to motor up a channel for an hour, but I'm willing to do it for this event.

#54 ·
Gary started the thread.
Gary offered location and to host.

Perryville/Havre de Grace is a 1 day sail from most location in the upper bay.
It may be in the 90's F and still air, or 70's F and a stiff breeze, too early for that discussion.

Havre de Grace is a more interesting town than Perryville, but Baltimore is also more interesting than Pasadena MD. I may add another day and spend some time in Havre de Grace.

#56 · (Edited)
The 14th sounds good (the date we have had for several years). I cant commit yet, need to chat with the wife. If we come, it would more than likely be by car. I need to learn more about getting there by boat before I make any final decisions (bridge opening, anchorages, distance for a dingy at night, etc).

#57 ·
Shawn and others, with the exception of a gentle curve at Fishing Battery Light, the Havre de Grace channel is straight as a poker and plenty wide - wide enough for anyone to pass on oncoming barge and tug combo and have room to spare.

The trip up the channel to the marina is about 7 miles from the channel entrance. As for bridge openings, there are none that open - the Amtrac railroad bridge is fixed at 50 feet. So, if your mast height exceeds 50 feet you would have to anchor in the Havre de Grace Basin, which is about as safe as it gets. It's a large area with depths averaging about 20 feet. The basin is protected from most winds, and there is a mooring field for Tidewater Marina on the west side. I've anchored in the basin several times and never had a problem.

As stated earlier, I've also obtained permission from the town of Perryville to use their transient docks - no charge, brand new docks, deep water and they allow you to stay 24 hours. It's just under 1/4 mile from there to the marina.

As for Still Pond, you don't want to be there when the wind rolls in from the Northwest or West - I've been there and you'll get hammered. It's wide open to those directions. And to my knowledge, there are no facilities of any kind there - none.

Fairlee Creek on a Saturday night in June is a nightmare. Blaring music till 2 a.m. from the nearby outdoor section of Great Oaks, lots of drunks, and sleeping is almost impossible. The crazies at Jellyfish Joels often fire up their engines on their go-fast boats to see who is the loudest and the roar is deafening.

Swimming in Fairlee is out of the question - the water is very heavily polluted and at one time there were signs warning against recreational contact with the water. Those signs have since been removed, and you will see people swimming in front of Jellyfish Joel's, but I would recommend it. Yeah, I know, they have a beach there with a marked off swimming area, but they also have a beach at Gunpowder State Park, right across the bay, that has been closed for years because of the horrendous pollution problem.

Worton Creek is a great place for a raft up, pretty shallow, though. I've anchored in front of Worton Creek Marina and spent the night several times. I have not been to the restaurant at the top of the hill, but I understand from others that the food is good, though a bit pricey. In mid June there will be other sailboats rafted up there, which is commonplace throughout the summer. I've seen lots of larger Hunters there and some 40ish Catalinas rafted tightly. There's room for about 40 or so boats to raft or anchor in the creek's upper reaches, good holding, muddy bottom, and I would not swim here either. Maybe I'm spoiled from snorkeling in the Florida Keys.

The main reason I opted for Owens Marina in Perryville was first and foremost, it has a great area to do this and it's accessible from both land and sea. Additionally, the charges are minimal at most. It took me one long day to reach Maryland Yacht Club, a distance of about 50 miles. Annapolis is a day and half away for me, and three days for those coming from PA by boat.

I'm open to suggestions on any location. If anyone has a better place with similar facilities, no problem making a switch. All you have to do is post the information and the particulars.

#61 ·
I've only been to Still Pond a dozen times. Never really had a problem with rolling seas there. You ca duck though the cut if you brave and go back by the CG station. Fully protected in all directions.

Shawn and others, with the exception of a gentle curve at Fishing Battery Light, the Havre de Grace channel is straight as a poker and plenty wide - wide enough for anyone to pass on oncoming barge and tug combo and have room to spare.

The trip up the channel to the marina is about 7 miles from the channel entrance. As for bridge openings, there are none that open - the Amtrac railroad bridge is fixed at 50 feet. So, if your mast height exceeds 50 feet you would have to anchor in the Havre de Grace Basin, which is about as safe as it gets. It's a large area with depths averaging about 20 feet. The basin is protected from most winds, and there is a mooring field for Tidewater Marina on the west side. I've anchored in the basin several times and never had a problem.

As stated earlier, I've also obtained permission from the town of Perryville to use their transient docks - no charge, brand new docks, deep water and they allow you to stay 24 hours. It's just under 1/4 mile from there to the marina.

As for Still Pond, you don't want to be there when the wind rolls in from the Northwest or West - I've been there and you'll get hammered. It's wide open to those directions. And to my knowledge, there are no facilities of any kind there - none.

Fairlee Creek on a Saturday night in June is a nightmare. Blaring music till 2 a.m. from the nearby outdoor section of Great Oaks, lots of drunks, and sleeping is almost impossible. The crazies at Jellyfish Joels often fire up their engines on their go-fast boats to see who is the loudest and the roar is deafening.

Swimming in Fairlee is out of the question - the water is very heavily polluted and at one time there were signs warning against recreational contact with the water. Those signs have since been removed, and you will see people swimming in front of Jellyfish Joel's, but I would recommend it. Yeah, I know, they have a beach there with a marked off swimming area, but they also have a beach at Gunpowder State Park, right across the bay, that has been closed for years because of the horrendous pollution problem.

Worton Creek is a great place for a raft up, pretty shallow, though. I've anchored in front of Worton Creek Marina and spent the night several times. I have not been to the restaurant at the top of the hill, but I understand from others that the food is good, though a bit pricey. In mid June there will be other sailboats rafted up there, which is commonplace throughout the summer. I've seen lots of larger Hunters there and some 40ish Catalinas rafted tightly. There's room for about 40 or so boats to raft or anchor in the creek's upper reaches, good holding, muddy bottom, and I would not swim here either. Maybe I'm spoiled from snorkeling in the Florida Keys.

The main reason I opted for Owens Marina in Perryville was first and foremost, it has a great area to do this and it's accessible from both land and sea. Additionally, the charges are minimal at most. It took me one long day to reach Maryland Yacht Club, a distance of about 50 miles. Annapolis is a day and half away for me, and three days for those coming from PA by boat.

I'm open to suggestions on any location. If anyone has a better place with similar facilities, no problem making a switch. All you have to do is post the information and the particulars.

#59 ·
Does anyone here have a pre-2011 copy of NOAA's chart #12274 (preferably RNC digital version)? I'd like to see how tortuous the charted channel was prior to the dredging project.

#60 ·
I've been running that channel in a sailboat for 8 years and it really hasn't changed much. It has always been straight as a pool cue till you get to Battery Island Light, then makes a gentle turn towards top of Chesapeake Bay. It's narrowest point is near Battery Island, where it's still 100 yards wide. It never twisted, turned, etc...

#64 ·
I hope you have good charts . Tell you what since you think its straight, draw a straight line from the susqehanna river buoy on the Chesapeake to your destination. I dare you to follow it.

Straight means straight Rick....don't quibble about that now and qualify your statement

Later I will pm you the various turns so you don't run aground as it seems you charts of local knowledge seem to have you thinking this is a straight shot. Yes there are some straight areas, but it does wind.

Also anyone who has taken this a number of tomes greater than 2 probably has seem people aground as the sides of the channel are like canyon wall according to sonar readings of it and go from 8 ft to 2 ft in 5 yards in many places.

Note I am not saying this is not navgatable at all just it requires care on the 45 minute motor up or down it . It's definately not a sraightt shot. And in windy low tide conditions can become tricky. Man you just pick apart everything

Let's get back on topic if you want to carry this assinine conversation on feel free to pm me and not waste everyone else time

#65 ·
Actually, there are 2 Havre de Grace channels, the commercial channel, which is the one I use all the time, and original channel, which is not really usable by boat drawing more than 4 feet. The original channel runs very close to the western shore, is only about 50 feet wide and winds like a corkscrew. I only used that channel once, and I'll never use it again. It's known by the locals as the scenic route. ;)

As I stated earlier, the commercial channel is minimal 100 yards wide, but like any channel in a restricted waterway, if you venture outside the channel you're gonna run aground - no doubt about it. Miss the channel entrance at Fairlee Creek and you're hard aground either on a hard bottom sand bar, or the island on the opposite side.

Stray outside the channel to Rock Hall and it puts an entirely new meaning to stuck in the mud. ;) Just 6 feet outside the entrance to Spa Creek is where I grounded last fall trying to get out of the way of a trawler that damned near ran me down from behind - IDIOT!

As for weekend boating traffic, yep, it's pretty heavy at times in the Havre de Grace Channel. Lots of go fast boats from Port Deposit zipping downriver, jet skis seem like mosquitoes on a hot Saturday and Sunday afternoon, but most of the time, especially on weekdays, the channel is vacant. And, I've sailed this channel so many times I cannot count them all. When the winds are favorable, sailing the channel is a piece of cake. However, at just 100 yards wide, it's not a place for tacking, even if you have the capabilities. Boating traffic is just too heavy for you to do that.

As stated earlier, if someone has a better location that is convenient to holding a rendezvous, I have no problem changing to another venue. The choice is yours.

#67 ·
Look carefully at your chart and you'll see that you could draw a straight line from Green #1 at the mouth of the channel, to Green #9, at that point you make a 30 degree turn and you have a perfectly straight shot all the way to Havre de Grace Basin. At no time will you be in waters less than 12 to 20 feet deep. I can tell everyone first hand, it's one Hell of lot easier to sail the Havre de Grace Channel than it is to motor the ICW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.