SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2014 Sailnet Chesapeake Bay Rendezvous...

18K views 150 replies 22 participants last post by  travlin-easy 
#1 ·
Thus far there have been no concrete plans for a 2014 Chesapeake Bay Sailnet Rendezvous. Sure would like to put that on my calendar, and while it's difficult to believe, summer is just not that far away.

If Dave (Chef To Sail) doesn't host it again at Maryland Yacht Club, I was thinking about the newly created island that has recently become a popular party spot in the bay's upper reaches near the southern end of the Havre de Grace channel at the old Fishing Battery Light. Dredging spoils from a couple years ago were deposited around the old island, which was a couple acres at best, creating a new island that is 20 to 30 acres. The water is relatively deep close to shore, and the island would make a great place for a rendezvous if Dave decides to let someone else take the reigns this summer.

Unfortunately, the marina where I'm at has no transient slips, or I would propose this to the marina owners and I'm confident they would go for it.

Just thought I would toss this option into the hat to see what you folks thought.

Gary :cool:

#69 · (Edited)
I'd like to try to get this discussion back on track. My only purpose in pointing out the straight line channel from north of Fishing Battery into HdG basin (R18 to R10, to be specific), and the gentle curve south of that, was to dispel any suggestion that this channel is difficult to negotiate. It may be longer than some people prefer, it may require more motoring than some would like (unless the wind is favorable to allow for an easy reach in), there may be more go-fast boats than you like, but it is well marked and easy to negotiate with binoculars and a chart. A chartplotter would also help to ensure that you don't accidentally skip a buoy, which could get you in trouble in the curved sections to the south.

The broader context here is the selection of a site for this event. Gary jumped in and offered his home marina, which has some nice plusses - picnic area, pool, rest rooms, inexpensive slips available at the site, free slips 1/4 mile away, etc. There have been legitimate concerns expressed about the low RR bridge, anchoring in the current, and/or the debris that might come from a dam opening. All of these may be valid concerns. Difficulty of the channel is pretty far down the list of concerns, IMO.

One concern expressed early on was that the get-together should be reachable for drive-in participants. I think Perryville would be similar driving distance as Worton for many of the western shore people. The suggestion of Still Pond would seem to completely rule out drive-in participants. Personally, I'm fine with Still Pond or Worton. I don't plan to drive. The whole purpose for me is to have a cruising destination reachable with a four-day round trip. But if others want to be able to drive in, I think Perryville is a pretty good choice.

#70 ·
I have been checking public transit from Perryville, I like to have an option available when going places to get back to Philadelphia for short notice work issues; Amtrak, Megabus, local buses, regional rail,...

Good rail connection to Baltimore and Amtrak NE Corridor to Philadelphia, also good bus service, 5:00 AM to 7:00 PM with stops in Havre de Grace but no weekend bus service.

#78 ·
My father once did an emergency landing of his private Cessna at Patuxent Naval Air Station. After 4 hours of interrogation, they released him. If that's any indication, they would probably also confiscate WouldaShoulda's cell phone and offer him the fabled "one phone call." He might not be ringing Gary with that one. :laugher

#80 ·
If everyone gets desparate enough, I would be glad to host this in my backyard on Mill Creek, off of Whitehall Bay, just north of Annapolis. There is a pretty good anchorage within in a hundred yards or so of my house, a few boats can raft up at my dock, there is room to tie up dinghies, and there is plenty of parking. It would need to be bring your own the barbeque grilles, food, drinks, chairs and tables.

I don't know if that helps at all.

Jeff

#81 ·
Thanks Jeff, perhaps the same date but it be another location for mid bay sailors? Why not have two, or three...on the same day or not.

Gary has stepped up and that is much appreciated, but I would attend it at your location over Perryville in a second, no offense meant to Gary or others wanting a northern spot its just more appealing for us.

At the end of the day its about having the opportunity to hang with folks with similar interest and put the online persona to a face, ugly or not :)

#83 ·
I agree.

If some people don't want to come to Perryville, that's unfortunate, but it's their choice.

I do think that hosting another event the exact same day would be a little rude to our host.

Reactions: Bene505
#87 · (Edited)
Probably best to have on a different date, otherwise we might "split the party", which is a party foul. Some people could go to both.

Regards,
Brad

#88 ·
I'll likely be driving down from NY/Long Island. If anyone wants to carpool, please let me know. Probably looking at driving back right after the party but am a flexible on that, especially if there's a cheap place to stay or a free cockpit cushion somewhere.

(Could possibly sail too, from Port Washinton and then return direct from Cape May to Montauk.)

Regards,
Brad

#90 ·
Gary
I am still on for Sailnet Rendezvous Perryville June 14. A diminished tolerance for a longer day on the water appears strange for those of us who think of two 8 -12 hour day sails to get to a destination as not unusual.

Gary don't feel compelled to host, if not I will have Havre de Grace as my June 14 destination.

Colin

#93 ·
A diminished tolerance for a longer day on the water appears strange for those of us who think of two 8 -12 hour day sails to get to a destination as not unusual.
Our tolerance for 8-12 hour sailing days depends on their context. If they weren't on a 2 day weekend punctuated by leaving on the office at 6 pm on Friday and having to be back by 8 am Monday we'd be all over that kind of sailing but with those constraints it ceases to be fun or relaxing for us to do more than about 50 miles round trip on a weekend, especially if the weather is bad or winds are contrary. Different things work for different people and this is why I'm glad the event is at a place where people have the option of arriving by boat or by car.

#95 ·
So excellent.

Perryville June 14.

Carpoolers wanted from Long Island or anywhere along the NJ Turnpike.

Regards,
Brad

#96 ·
Jeff - Count Me and Amy in! It is a very kind offer of you to host. We will miss seeing the northern bay sailors this year but hopefully we will see you all around the bay during the year.

Dave and Donna, we look forward to seeing you again and meeting other sail netters from the bay area.

#97 ·
It will be great seeing you again. Was really good meeting you last year when you came

Jeff - Count Me and Amy in! It is a very kind offer of you to host. We will miss seeing the northern bay sailors this year but hopefully we will see you all around the bay during the year.

Dave and Donna, we look forward to seeing you again and meeting other sail netters from the bay area.

#98 ·
I confirmed the use of the American Legion yesterday - no problem. Also, if anyone is driving from a significant distance and needs a place to spend the night, my boat can act as a motel for up to 6 with no problems. Air conditioned, all the comforts of home.

#99 ·
Gary,

We are looking to be finalizing our move aboard the last week of May - I'm not sure if we'll be done unpacking and getting organized. If we can make it I'll shoot you and email but unfortunately I can't commit to a slip at this time.

#100 ·
Hi folks,

I am a little confused about where things stand at the moment;

Here is the part that seems clear. There is a rendezvous in Perryville at the American Legion Hall on June 14. It sounds like there are slips available at a marina near there for those who want use a marina. I would suggest that it might be helpful to post the name of the marina and air and water draft available for those of us with deeper draft boats and taller rigs (I have not looked a chart for this and have only been to the Harve D'Grace side of the river) Also I may have missed this but is there a protected anchorage near there and a place to tie up dinghies when going ashore?

Then there is my offer to host an event. I agree with the suggestion that there should not be two events on the same day in that it would potentially reduce the number of folks at either event. I would therefore suggest for the lower Bay folks that we perhaps we have a rendezvous in the early fall, and I would be willing to host that one at my place on Mill Creek, date to be determined, but perhaps around the time of the Boat Show, although cruising is usually more comfortable before the show. Nothing carved in stone here.

Jeff

#101 ·
Jeff, the 2014 Sailnet Rendezvous takes place at Owens Marina, Perryville, MD 12 noon till you can't take any more fun and excitement. The marina owners have graciously allowed me to use their pool, pool patio, gas grill and picnic tables, beach chairs, and other facilities. If you come by boat, I need to know if you need a slip prior to June 1st. After June 1st, figure on tying up at the city dock, which is less than 1/4-mile downriver of the marina. You can, however, anchor out in the waters adjacent to Garrett Island, which is directly across from the marine and situated in the middle of the Susquehanna river's mouth.

In the event the weather turns nasty, I have made arrangements with the Perryville American Legion, which is a really nice facility just four blocks from Owens Marina. The only restriction is we cannot take our own booze or food to the Legion. They have a great menu there, and obviously, lots of booze, but you will have to pay for it. No freebees. Both the food and booze are really inexpensive.

I'll be supplying musical entertainment at either location, depending upon the weather. I'll also try to make up a batch of my homemade Kahlua as well. I made a half-dozen bottles the last time, and actually took a couple home. I'll also provide some Green coconut Margarettas for those whom may wish to try them. The remainder of the food and drinks will be pot luck.

For those needing a slip at Owens Marina, the overnight fee will be $25, which is dirt cheap in this part of the world. If you stay at the city dock, there is no charge, lots of depth and large slips. You can only stay a single night there. But if you decide to go sailing, and come back that afternoon, you could spend a second night.

There's only a couple restaurants in Perryville, but directly across the river in Havre de Grace, the town is loaded with them. Some are on the water and have their own piers for those who arrive in boats, and there is a city owned pier there as well, but I'm not sure about the restrictions at this point. Something I have to check out.

For anyone that has concerns about the Havre de Grace channel, it's very deep, averaging about 18 feet, 150 yards wide, but if you stray outside the channel, you WILL run aground - just like any other channel. It only has a single turn at Fishing Battery Island and the remainder is straight and deep.

If your mast height exceeds 50 feet, you cannot clear the Amtrak Railroad Bridge. However, there is a very large, relatively protected basis where you can drop the hook just downriver of the bridge and it's a short dinghy ride to the marina. The marina has a launch ramp, and a floating dock where the dinghies can be moored.

Hope this clears things up,

#102 ·
I keep by boat in Havre De Grace. The NEW Island is adjacent to Sandy Island just South Of HDG. You can walk on Island but must stay close to waters edge till
all the sea grass etc takes hold. Very deep water up to Island on the West Side. Otherwise don't try. Channel is well marked coming up the Bay from Gr 1 near Turkey Point. I am new to Sail Net and would like to meet fellow sailors. I am planning a trip down ICW in Nov and then to Bahamas or maybe the Keys. I retire in Oct !!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.