Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007

Geeman is on a distinguished road
Knapp's Narrows

RichH, as of May 2007

Stay away if possible. Only enter at high tide. The Bay side(west) is particularly shallow at low tide. Red number 4 is where the shoaling is worst. At two hours before low tide we saw boats with 4.5 feet of draft get stuck. We needed five and half of feet. no-way.
On the way in from the Choptank side, it was probably about a foot deeper. We tied up at the Marina and waited for high tide and left back out the Choptank side. High tide was about two feet deeper.
Currently, there is a dredging operation working on the Bay side. I have no idea how efffective the will be. Contact the Marina for better information.

Even the motor boats were pushing gray sand just behind their sterns.
~~~ /) ~~~
~~~~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2007

thorn is on a distinguished road
Knapps Narrows Depths

I went through Knapps Narrows in early June 2007 at mid-tide, saw nothing less than 8 feet. They had just finished dredging the west (Bay) side. I also proceeded north through Poplar Island Narrows and again saw nothing less than 8 feet, usually much more.
Old 06-20-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn
I went through Knapps Narrows in early June 2007 at mid-tide, saw nothing less than 8 feet. They had just finished dredging the west (Bay) side. I also proceeded north through Poplar Island Narrows and again saw nothing less than 8 feet, usually much more.
Thorn -- Thanks for the report. I likely will be going through there the weekend of June 30-July 1 and have been wondering about whether the dredging was finished.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 07-08-2007
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Just passed through Poplar (? sp) Island from the North and Knapp's Narrows this past Friday, July 6th 2007. We stayed fairly close to all the markers with depths of 8' or more at low tide. I draw 4'2" with no problems.

PS...the Choptank was absolutely beautiful with a great sail out of the narrows into Oxford, truly extraordinary!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 07-08-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2007

GlenK is on a distinguished road
We're going to Oxford on the 20th of this month. Is the Mears Yacht Haven a good place to get a slip for the night. Is there anything better or closer to town thats nicer?
Old 07-11-2007
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenK
We're going to Oxford on the 20th of this month. Is the Mears Yacht Haven a good place to get a slip for the night. Is there anything better or closer to town thats nicer?
I hope you have AC on the boat if your planning on taking a slip that time time of year Otherwise I would suggest dropping the hook near the anchorage and the public beach adjacent to the Ferry Dock, before the Red 2 into Town Creek.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 07-16-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2007

GlenK is on a distinguished road
Yes we have ac - when the wife comes along it's a must have. Is Mear a nice marina - is it close to the town - i understand there isn't much but we wanted to walk and see the town.
Old 07-16-2007

thorn is on a distinguished road
In Oxford, you can tie up at the ferry dock (on the east side of the dock) for free (for I think 2 hours, but I doubt anybody checks). This is right at the east end of the Strand, in front of the Robert Morris Inn, and a good place from which to walk the town. It is fine for my 38 foot boat with a 5 foot draft. Or, anchor off the Strand beach and dinghy ashore to the beach or the ferry dock, although the holding's not great and I noticed lots of moorings have been added in this area. Then my preference by far is to anchor in Tripp Creek a couple miles up the Tred Avon -- beautiful, lots of protection if needed.