SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Knapps Narrows .... how much 'new' shoaling? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/15906-knapps-narrows-how-much-new-shoaling.html)

RichH 05-03-2006 10:18 AM

Knapps Narrows .... how much 'new' shoaling?

I heard a rumor that the Knapps Narrows (drawbridge) channel has recently shoaled severely. Supposedly the channel is now only 3 ft. deep at low water. True/Untrue? Any info appreciated.

DynaMeme 05-08-2006 09:29 AM

last transit was end of last season. Least depth we saw at low water was 7 feet.

captnemo26 05-11-2006 07:32 PM

I went thru Knapps Narrows from Bay side on Apr 19 last at low tide. My boat draws 4 ft and I did not touch bottom but my depth sounder went blank a couple of times which usually indicates muddy water.
You really need to stay close to the nav. marker #4 when you enter from the Bay side. Once around #4, head a little to the right toward the marina entrance.
From the Choptank River side, you need to stay close into the channel from nav. #5 to nav. #6. Move wide and you may touch.

ltcme108 05-19-2006 10:28 AM

Knapps Narrows

We successfully negotiated Knapps on Saturday the 12th and Monday the 15th. Both were at mid-tide. Our draft is 5 and we didn't get any reading below 6' anywhere. The channel under the drawbridge was about 9-10 ft as I recall. The approaches are the tricky part. On the Bay side keep off the green and stay close to the reds. On the Choptank side stay off the red and far away (40-50') from the greens. After going into the Choptank you also need to continue away from the marks before turning.

Sterick 05-26-2006 11:55 AM

I was there last weekend and went through twice, each time about 1/2 hour off high tide. On the North side stay to the East side. (Hug the greens - meet new power boat friends oncoming.) Our lowest reading was about 6.2 until the turn.

Warren M. 06-03-2006 04:12 PM

Knapps

I went thru Knapps recently and my boat draws 4 ft. Mid-tide both times. I, too, had a few depth sounder anomalies and assumed it was silt. Most of the time it read 6 ft or more. No problems touching bottom.

sailr4 08-08-2006 02:45 PM

Any recent trips through Knapps Narrows? What are the low water depths on the West (Bay) side? We're heading there on Friday (8/11).

SailorMitch 08-08-2006 04:38 PM

I was through there on Sunday, June 25th and hit bottom on the bay side right in the middle of the supposed channel. Fortunately I just plowed on through it and kept going, but for a second I wasn't so sure. Lots of readings in the 4-5 foot range and also blank readings as well. My boat has a winged keel that draws 4'2". Not sure what the state of the tide was at the time.

foxglove 09-20-2006 11:58 AM

Maybe someone confused Knapp Narrows for Kent

Hi SailorMitch,

I transited Knapp drawing 4 1/2 feet with no problem. Kent Narrows, on the other hand, has had shoalling and new bouys have been placed to help boaters find the best water. I met a guy who ran aground there drawing only 4' 2".

Max

SailorMitch 09-20-2006 08:08 PM

Knapps and Kent have shoaling issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxglove
Hi SailorMitch,

I transited Knapp drawing 4 1/2 feet with no problem. Kent Narrows, on the other hand, has had shoalling and new bouys have been placed to help boaters find the best water. I met a guy who ran aground there drawing only 4' 2".

Max

Max -- Nope, my above post was about Knapps. I definitely hit bottom but plowed through it and kept on going.

I did go through Kent Narrows at the end of August and they had a temporary channel marked there because of shoaling in the main channel (Chester River side.) I saw some readings of 4-5 ft, and a few blank readings as well, but never hot bottom.

In short, in my recent experience, both have shoaling issues that people with deep draft need to be aware of. I wouldn't try either with draft much over 5 feet. YMMV of course.