Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2014

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Star-Spangled Spectacular Air Show

We're going up either Friday night or Saturday morning...seeing the Blue Angels perform from the water is fantastic!

More info here: Star-Spangled Spectacular Air Show | Star-Spangled 200Star-Spangled 200

"O Say Can You See! Star-Spangled Spectacular is a free festival that celebrates the 200th anniversary of our National Anthem. Tall ships, Navy ships and the Blue Angels will come to Baltimore’s famed Inner Harbor to celebrate The Star-Spangled Banner."

"The Star-Spangled Spectacular Air Show will feature precision flight demonstration acts from the U.S. Navy over a one-and-a-half-hour period between 2:00 and 4:00 PM on September 13 and 14. The featured act will be the U.S. Navy Blue Angels. The air show will take place over the Middle Branch of the Patapsco River. Public viewing sites along the Middle Branch are limited, and recreational boating traffic will be restricted from cruising the water in the air show “box” while the program is in progress."
Faster and 4arch like this.

Last edited by T37Chef; 08-25-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2014

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: Star-Spangled Spectacular Air Show

Shawn,

Sounds like a GREAT time!

We can say that watching the Blue Angels from the water is fantastic!!
This summer we cruised in to the Pensacola area and saw them practice. At about 6:40 in our Youtube video you can see how close we got to she them. We also saw them from a few of the anchorages around the area, they practice most days if in town.
Position Report, May 2014 - YouTube

They sure can take your breath away!

Greg
T37Chef likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-25-2014

Last time I saw them from the water was in Annapolis for the Navel Academy Graduation...amazing no matter where you get to see them, but from the water is the best
Old 2 Weeks Ago

4arch is on a distinguished road

We will be on our docked boat at the Anchorage Marina for the air show and fireworks. I think we’ll be in a great viewing spot and we’re glad to not have to venture out into what I’m sure will be total chaos. We heard the marina is overbooked and has a long waiting list for transients. We planned to head out for a week’s cruise on the bay starting Sunday, but may stay put and sneak out Monday AM instead (and sail along some of the tall ships).

I’m very excited about what is probably the biggest celebratory event Baltimore has seen in a generation or more. I hope we stay on the dry side of the 50% rain chance and that the city makes the most of its opportunity to get some positive national publicity. It cannot be overstated how important of an event the Battle of Baltimore was to the local region and the nation as a whole. It sounds like the events planned are worthy of the history made here and hopefully it will all go off without a hitch.

I’m going on a rant here, but I imagine the cost to the city to stage this event is relatively low compared to the failed Grand Prix and will bring greater largess to local businesses and city coffers. Hopefully the city leaders can learn that they don’t have to chase hair-brained schemes and offer huge giveaways of taxpayer dollars to stage a successful high profile event based on the history and amenities we already have. It would be nice to see a scaled down version of this repeated annually or biannually – perhaps on Labor Day weekend in lieu of any further thoughts of trying to bring back the Grand Prix.

Also for all the high end waterfront development in Baltimore, the city has not managed to turn itself into much of a “yachtie” town in the vein of Newport or Annapolis. Yes there are huge marinas, museum ships, tour boats, etc., but they always seem to be second fiddle to the stuff on land around the water. It would be nice to see Baltimore become more water oriented instead of just waterfront. It would be a huge economic boon to the areas surrounding the harbor and if done right could become a model for balancing coastline restoration and recreational boating access. Maybe having boats show up by the hundreds this weekend will wake some people up to the fact that the maritime aspects of the city can be a main event instead of just a sideshow.

OK, sorry, rant over! Have a great weekend everybody!
chef2sail likes this.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
We will be on our docked boat at the Anchorage Marina for the air show and fireworks. I think we’ll be in a great viewing spot and we’re glad to not have to venture out into what I’m sure will be total chaos. We heard the marina is overbooked and has a long waiting list for transients.
Just a word of advice...We had our boat there for about a year...so caution..we've had a bicycle stolen which was locked up and items on the boat went missing.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We saw the air show from the "box" boats were prohibited from next to Ft McHenry two years ago and it was quite neat.... They are kind of getting to be old hat around here as they perform every year at the Naval Achademy graduation. If I had a ringside seat like Bryn I would attend, but it looks like we may go visit some of the ships on Friday and head for quietr water like the Chester River on Saturday.

Caution: When everyone leave the airshow...its a giant washing machine for hours all the way to the end of the Patapsco. Its almost like one of those "storied" New Jersey inlets

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 2 Weeks Ago

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Saw the Eagle motoring psst Bloody Ptyesterday. Doing the Oxford race, so I will miss the madness.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

The following weekend

Home | NAS Oceana Air Show

Oceana is in Virginia Beach. Airshow is the following weekend (Sept 20, 21)

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 2 Weeks Ago

The air show was great, we went up Sunday with our neighbors to view it. Of course the Blue Angels were amazing. I love the idiots (most often a small power boat) trying to anchor their boats. We waited about a half hour for all the speedsters to head back and enjoyed a wonderful day on the water with some great friends. Couldn't have asked for anything better. Good food, friends and entertainment. I really liked your thoughts 4arch...would be nice for Balmore to invest more in the opportunities they have for boating.

Saturday was the original plan, but with the rain and guest, we choose to come down late Saturday so I could finish up a couple of projects which included mounting my Tack Tick instruments above the Chart plotter. Used a piece of Starboard, router some edges, a little sanding, and mounted it...got to love not having to run wires for those things. Then I re-mounted new starboard to cover the old holes left in the cockpit bulkhead from the Datamarine instruments. Looks great, some pics and video to come when the admiral gets them off the camera.

We were also boarded by the Coast Guard...they gave all the kids aboard a coloring book for wearing their life jackets...was very cool of them, the kids got a big kick out of that! True professionals and great with kids. Thanks CG!
Old 1 Week Ago

Some video of the fireworks in Baltimore, taken about a half mile west of the Key Bridge, very close to the buoy that marks where Francis Scott Key wrote our now, National Anthem

This one is a little better?