Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2006

jsheler is on a distinguished road
Working Jib

So after blowing out my just-repaired 150 genoa in 20-25kt winds on the lower Chesapeake Bay on Saturday (yes, it was exciting, but that's another story) I'm ready to go to a smaller working jib. I'm thinking in the 90-100 range. This will be on a Schaefer furler, as was my genoa, and my intention is to use it pretty much full time. I don't want to be swapping out the headsail on a frequent basis. That being so, I have two questions for y'all. For those familiar with sailing on the lower bay, does a 90-100 sound about right for typical conditions? I would be looking for a furling sail, designed to be reef-furled when needed without losing its shape and function. Second question: Can anyone recommend a good sailmaker for such a product, preferably within reasonable driving distance from Norfolk/Hampton, VA? And if I may toss in a third question: Should I consider a used sail, or am I asking for inherited troubles in doing so? My genny was an original sail ('89. I've had the boat three years) and was beginning to show the strain of age. But I'm thinking a good used sail with plenty of life left might be a good option ($$). Thanks for any input.

Jeff Sheler
s/v Windsome
C27TR #6594
Hampton, VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2006

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Unless you are lucky, I'd call a used sail a stopgap measure. Unlikely to still be in shape, even if you get one with the right dimensions. Although with all the hurricane losses last year, who knows, maybe there are a lot of used sails on the market after salvage.

Sailing with one headsail in all wind ranges is problematic. If you want a sail that performs in light air (1-5 knots) it will be too light and lose shape in 10-15 knots. It will be ruined at 25-30 knots, regardless of size. And if you use a heavy cloth so the sail isn't ruined in 20+ knots, it will hang too flat and stiff under 5 knots.

It is not just making the sail so it won't tear--but making it so it can hold the right 3-D shape. So the question is first, what wind ranges do you have down there? Or plan to sail in? If you're not racing and you don't care to hang around in 2 knots, you don't need a light air sail. If you read the weather right and strike the sails about 20 knots......less fun but again it can save the shape of your sails.

Anybody can hoist rags, but putting sails up with good shape in them, and replacing them before it is entirely gone, that's something else. You might want to compromise and have two sails made up, one for 0-15 knots, the other for 12-30 knots, something like that. Maybe a 140 for 0-15 knots, and a 130 for 12-30 knots, where you can use less sail area and more strength. Two sails isn't a totally unreasonable compromise. If you have a headfoil with two slots, making the changes isn't that big a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.