SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Marinas with slip price reduction...?

9K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  punahougirl84 
#1 ·
Just received in the mail from a( local)Eastern Shore marina an ad to which they are reducing their 2015 slip rates to attract new customers..

Any other marinas around the Bay doing the same thing..?

#32 ·
Yes, Active Captain - searches led me there too! Great to know it's a good site to use. I'll work with that again.

As for how much I want to spend - it's adjustable depending on what you get. $4K for just a slip, maybe with utilities, feels like a lot if I can get a club and slip for the same price. But it would be great to find something that costs less (if that's even possible around here - and I know it depends on length - is $2400 ridiculous?) and if that means we start with a marina slip and maybe a local sailing club or association, that might be a better way to start. We've driven around some to see what's out there, but not nearly enough.

Length - it seems like slip prices go up a lot at many places when you go over 35', so we may be looking at 34'. We're a family of 5, but I hope to take friends out as well. I'm very torn, because I grew up on bigger boats, but my kids haven't and are youngish (13, 13, 9), so thinking we should try to be reasonable and not jump into a huge expense and a huge boat right away. I don't want the rest of my family feeling overwhelmed, despite their enthusiasm for this project.

The last boat I owned was a laser! (I did have use of a Hawkfarm for a year, but I wasn't responsible for costs). Something we could club race or do a weekend cruise on would work. Something more than a daysailor (we have access to those). Something with lifelines and a head! (for years all we had was a yellow bucket on the Farr - owner at the time was a former marine - he tore everything out so we could RACE - lots of fun when you are racing across the Molokai channel at night with big wind and waves).

I also understand that draft is a big deal here. My dad joked about giving me a good price on the Farr and shipping it up, but she draws 8'6" and I don't want to be restricted to the shipping lanes!

#34 ·
Thanks for the recommendation! I've been on that site - it helps to know I haven't missed any that do track rates. Time to create a spreadsheet and make some calls. Not that I've figured out a boat yet, but I'll get something accomplished while we are looking.

#35 ·
...Time to create a spreadsheet and make some calls. Not that I've figured out a boat yet, but I'll get something accomplished while we are looking.
You can't beat calling or even driving to the marina on a nice day, looking around, getting a feel for the place, having lunch...

When I first looked for a marina I made a list based on location, then eliminated all that didn't participate in the Maryland Clean Marinas program (yacht clubs do, too), then I eliminated all who wanted to charge me for a slip that was much larger than my boat. Which brought me to one: the only one who charged by the foot rather than by the slip size.

#36 ·
My marina in RI increased their rate by about 12% last year. Winter storage went up, so I moved for the winter. They also announced (in October) that summer slips would go up, but there is no place else for me to go..

The time has come for me to move the boat to Florida!

#37 ·
Seems everyone is selling out on Narragansett Bay again. I think this is especially true this season, as many are running on reduced capacity, due to lifted pilings from this past winter's ice. It's caused some to look around. Word has it that there is so much piling repair, it won't all be completed until the Fall.

#38 · (Edited)
I really didn't think this would be so hard! We may have found a boat (Beneteau First 38). This is what I seem to be finding out based on the locations we were looking at:

Annapolis - VERY expensive no matter where you go, and a bit far.

For Rock Creek/Pasadena, which is closer:

White Rocks - (recommended by our broker) Most reasonable rate, bathhouse is basically the only amenity, apparently very (too?) exposed regarding storms, management very hands-off so you should check on your boat often for issues with dock lines, most affordable haul out for winter, DIY for most everything

Oak Harbor - More expensive than WR, tight/small, does have some boat services, few amenities, more protected

Fairview - Even more expensive - very nice facilities/amenties - more protected - the only slip that wasn't super expensive (in my eyes, but a slip quoted was more than Annapolis rates in some places) was between the covered motorboat slips and a building with loud screechy bird sounds being played to keep birds away (and the catwalk seemed very narrow and short but maybe that is the same all over? I'm starting to forget and should have taken photos) - too bad, as owners were nice and the guy obviously very knowledgeable and good with repairs and he obviously cares a lot about the place and his work. A few months ago I'd been quoted a much lower rate but those slips got taken (I had surgery and had to delay our search by several months). More expensive than WR for winter haul out by about $5/ft.

MYC - The most expensive (though they have been offering deals which help, but you do get yacht club instead of just marina) - Attended the open house - the people who talked to us were nice, obviously nice facitilies, gas and diesel, no boat services. More protected?

Of course, you get what you pay for - the more expensive places had better facilities and more protection in case of hurricanes. I guess I was hoping to find a good moderate choice. White Rocks has the attractive price, but do I risk my boat taking it there? At Fairview if I want a slip not between the motorboat house and loud bird sounds I'd have to pay almost double. We need to budget for some work to be done on the boat I'm sure if the survey works out so high-end places don't really help with that. And I think maneuvering around Oak Harbor might be really tough.

Places on the Magothy were even more expensive.

So obviously I need to rethink things (like the budget LOL). The one place I got a new recommendation for was Cypress Marina, far up the Magothy, and they have few slips - I'll call them but suspect they won't even have room. I think I'm doomed!

Reactions: T37Chef
#39 ·
Can you find a mooring for less?

#41 ·
You're looking for a low cost slip in a high cost area. Not gonna be easy.

You might try scouring Craigslist, Spinsheet, other local publications for waterfront property owners who rent out their private docks for the season. I know one person who went this route.

Reactions: punahougirl84
#42 ·
......You might try scouring Craigslist, Spinsheet, other local publications for waterfront property owners who rent out their private docks for the season. .....
Just be sure this is legit in local code. Neighbors may not like seeing an additional family of 4 or 5 out their back window everyday.

If it's against the code, it's probably easier for a weekend warrior to get away with it.

#43 ·
I did think about finding someone renting their dock. I haven't done much investigating in that direction yet.

We don't have to have the very lowest cost slip. I was hoping to find the moderate cost slip. We'll have to check out Oak Harbor again (my husband hasn't seen that marina in person yet). The price quoted was inbetween White Rocks (less expensive for reasons) and Fairview (more expensive for reasons), and I've read a lot of good reviews. I have to do more research. The only real negatives were the tight spacing, and dirty bathrooms.

When the pricing options mean for X dollars I can have a slip, or a slip AND new standing rigging for the same money, I have to consider what makes sense. Every place has positive and negative comments (I've been scouring SN and even felt bad about asking questions I know have been asked before but a lot of answers to my questions were in older posts and times and situations change).

Now it is snowing, with more predicted around the time we can get back to the survey - which I suspect spells doom for a sea trial.

I really appreciate the suggestions and advice. Keeping track of it all!

#44 ·
There is a absolutely wonderful little club on the Magothy, Black Hole Creek, called Patapskut Sailing Association (PSA). You will only get a mooring, in a very protected cove, a beautiful clubhouse but small. All kinds of sailboats that club members can use and their Sail Camp is great, as is MYCs Sail Camp. No pool at PSA, the bathrooms are the best of any around I know of. If my boat was smaller and not a liveaboard (they don't take liveaboards) I would be there in a second. I was going to move there last year but they didn't have a mooring for a boat my size (43' with Davit). They have slips but you will never get one, the waiting list is probably 10 years out. A great group of people there, but like any club there are always a few jerks. Its very inexpensive, less than $1000 a year for a mooring and membership. My favorite spot but like I said, my boat length restricts the availability of moorings for me... Ugh

There is another small marina on the Magothy, North Shore Marina on Broad Creek (Pasadena)... oddly they can take some pretty large boats. Nothing there really and last I looked, the docks are not in great shape...good, safe enough, but could use new decks. The only way to talk to anyone is to go there in person, and hope someone is there at the house.

- Bodkin Marina (not to be confused with BYC) on Back Creek off Bodkin Creek (Still Pasadena)... Charlie is the owner. When I was there in 2004 I paid $1200 for the year. Docks are old, the bathrooms are okay at best, but its extremely well protected and shallow. My draft is 4' and occasionally I was on the bottom... but could power out fine. I do not like Bodkin Inlet... lots of crab pots, exposed to the North, and busy.
- Bodkin Yacht Club (a working club but nice, small, my uncle was Commodore there about 3 years ago) Pool (in water pool), Bar, member use kitchen and dining hall, new docks, and extremely protected and far back the creek. It is a working club, meaning members work there to maintain and run the club... about 40 hours + a year
- Hammock Island Marina (very cool place on its own little island but a little exposed to the north, no boats over 37' so I'm out with the davit. IIRC they quoted me $3500.
- Ventnor is mostly power and small, seems they don't take many sailboats, at least my size or larger.
- Pleasure Cover Marina adjacent to Bodkin Yacht Club is weird, I don't know what it is but the place just is. The owner built this eye sore of a storage facility that looks like a airplane hanger big enough for two 747s... now managed by Suntec. The new management there seems very green? Heard some bad things lately, and the restaurant on site is horrible, Cheshire Crab House.

What you said punahougirl84/Lee about Oak Harbor, Fairview, and MYC is pretty accurate. With kids you would probably be happiest with MYC or Fairview. The pool at MYC is the best around. Plus all the other amenities it has, however if you have work to do its not the best choice IMHO... Oak Harbor would be the first choice, but with kids maybe Fairview would be a better choice?

- Middle River Marinas... I hear a lot of good things about Bowleys Quarters? I know Baltimore Yacht Club well... my Grandfather was Commodore there twice, spent many a summer there as a kid... lots of memories. They currently have a waiting list I believe? Also fairly pricey. Beautiful clubhouse and the best pool around. Diving 3' and 8' with a 12' depth and a kiddie pool. Very protected and technically on Sue Island...but not much anymore. Essex Marina I know well, best friend still keeps his sailboat there, but really nothing other than very well protected and nice docks... fairly reasonable. Many marinas on Middle River... and on the weekends its a very busy river = lots of wake. I don't miss it.

- Forget Bush River, Gunpowder River or Back River.

- Dundalk/North Shore of the Patapsco there are some good finds... Old Bay Marina and another that escapes me at the moment.

- Stoney Creek there is nothing

There are some great marinas in Baltimore but the sail out to the bay is at best 90 minutes... maybe for winter storage but during the season, anything on Rock Creek is really the best spot for anything off the Pataspco IMO. I think that sums up most places I know between Middle River and the Magothy north shore. I looked at Magothy Marina, Ferry Point Marina, and even Deep Creek Marina on the South Shore of the Magothy... either too expensive or not close enough for me. I do love the Magothy River though... but I spent a lot of time there as a kid at our shore house off Broad Creek near the bug "Glass House"... shame the family sold it :( It would be worth a lot now! ;)

#45 · (Edited)
Shawn - thank you for sharing! Your wealth of information, and the willingness to post, will not only help me but many others to come I'm certain! I will review all that information, and have a couple more phone calls to make.

We've been sailing in Baltimore through the Downtown Sailing Center. I don't think we want (or can afford) to be there, and I'd rather not go north. It's a fairly easy/short drive to Rock Creek from Columbia (though shorter to the DSC!). I want to make getting to and using the boat as easy as possible. I appreciate the additional thoughts of where the kids might be happier or feel more comfortable.

I had gotten numbers from Magothy Marina and Ferry Point - definitely more pricey! One of the women I spoke with was really great, and she actually recommended Oak Harbor too. A lot will obviously depend on who has slips at all.

I empathize with your lost shore house! My dad just sold the house I grew up in, in Hawaii. Very sad.

Printing those notes now!

Lee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.