SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2016 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

182K views 2K replies 63 participants last post by  TakeFive 
#1 ·
Another year, another late check in.

Best wishes to all on another New Year and a wonderful season for sailing.

Today is a boat work day for me.

#67 ·
If you keep your boat at White Rocks you'll get the crap kicked out of you. Wind funnels down the creek right at it.
We are at Maryland Yacht Club, protected and often see boats in WR bounced around and with torn sails in some storms.

Plus you have to deal with the damn restaurant which can be annoying. Try Oak Harbor or Fairview or us on Rock Creek. BTW Bowleys is exposed also

Reactions: punahougirl84
#69 ·
If you keep your boat at White Rocks you'll get the crap kicked out of you. Wind funnels down the creek right at it.
We are at Maryland Yacht Club, protected and often see boats in WR bounced around and with torn sails in some storms.

Plus you have to deal with the damn restaurant which can be annoying. Try Oak Harbor or Fairview or us on Rock Creek. BTW Bowleys is exposed also
I've definitely gotten the impression that absolutely no one has anything good to say about White Rocks. I can take the not so subtle hint and avoid the place that might trash a boat. The other three all have possibilities which I have now researched. I appreciate the feedback.

We are still waiting for the repair to be finished on the boat so at some point we can finish the survey and find out if this is ever going to happen. My nerves are twanging!

#71 ·
I was bored yesterday so I went to the Baltimore Boat Show... wow... wow... it was really bad. I didn't expect many sailboats, but not one? Not even a sailing dingy. Why call it a boat show, call it the Baltimore Fishing and Trailer Boat Show. What a waste of $16. Did see a nice booth for MYC, that and the custom knife booth were the only interesting things to see. I will never go again. Few years ago they at least had a couple keel boats there, they didn't even have a Hobie! Ugh

#72 ·
Shawn, that show fell apart many years ago when Ray Nichols sold it. That pretty much ended anything to do with sailboats. I can clearly remember the days when the show was in the 5th Regiment Armory and it was 50 percent sailboats. Same was true for the Washington Boat Show. Both are now powerboat shows, and mainly trailerable boats to boot.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

#76 ·
Absolutely no way I could chop through this. It's basically all the snow that landed in the water, melted and re-froze.
I could safely stand on it and walk across the cove.

As of yesterday afternoon, there were large puddles of liquid on the sheet so if the warm weather holds for a couple of days, it *may* rot enough to let me out by the weekend.

#80 ·
I renewed last year but I understand that MD now requires you to list your fishing license number to renew your boat registration. Even if you only had one for one year ten years ago. You need to have that number on the renewal.

#82 ·
Fishing License? I don't need no stinking license!

That's totally nuts, Donna. I haven't purchased a license in a couple years, and I don't keep the old ones, so I have no idea what that license number would be. Of course, anyone that has dealt with Maryland Department Of Natural Resources (DNR) knows what DNR stands for - DO NOTHING RIGHT!

#83 ·
Fishing License? I don't need no stinking license!

That's totally nuts, Donna. I haven't purchased a license in a couple years, and I don't keep the old ones, so I have no idea what that license number would be. Of course, anyone that has dealt with Maryland Department Of Natural Resources (DNR) knows what DNR stands for - DO NOTHING RIGHT!

The guy who told me this after he tried to renew said that was his problem, too. He also said that if you go to the service center in person they can look it up, but they won't cross-reference it and add it to your renewal form if you do it by mail.

#85 ·
I managed to get out of Rock Hall on Monday Feb 1 - was stuck there for a bit. I'm on a very late trip south on my new boat. Spending today around the entrance to the Patuxent River (Calvert Marina) with the intention of waiting out thunderstorms that haven't materialized (at least around here). I expect I'll be out of the Chesapeake in a couple of days, but will be back later on my return trip North. Next year I'll try to time this better.

#86 ·
Donna, I just talked with Maryland DNR Licensing and the person that provided you with that information was misinformed. What is now required is a DNR ID number, which can be obtained by calling any of the regional service centers and providing them with some information - I just got mine. This six digit number is needed for their new computerized system of issuing ALL licenses - not just the boating license.

Hope this helps,

#91 ·
Oh... they've totally blown the forecast for this storm. 1-3 inches my frozen butt. I'll see at least 6 inches today before/if it transitions to rain.

Hey, it's a holiday so the county hasn't seen fit to plow the roads but very occasionally. My company doesn't honor President's Day, but after sliding my way down Route 2, I abandoned the attempt and came home. I'll burn a day of leave.
I'm glad I shoveled the first 4 inches from the walks and drive. It'll make removing the next batch easier.

#94 ·
Snow I can handle and it has only just started snowing here in Philadelphia, the freezing rain forecast for tonight is another beast.

I lost 500 linear feet of freshly poured concrete footing to freezing rain induced frost heave several years ago, the rain went through the hay bail and thermal blanket cover before freezing below the concrete.

I need to check my cockpit drains this afternoon.

Reactions: mmaplan
#99 ·
Thanks guys. The C&C has been an amazing boat. When I bought her I had no expectation of skippering the A2B and A2N.
This time last year I was iced in. Yesterday I took the new owner of The Office for a test sail. I'm doing one more A2B before we close. In 4 weeks we bring the Hylas (Atlantis) up from Lauderdale. Been a crazy month.

#100 ·
Knowing very little about Hylas, I looked it up. I really like the lines, it's a very attractive vessel.

Another sailing day come, gone and missed. I spent the warm weather re-assembling my engine.
Whenever I get frustrated, I just remind myself that it's better to have discovered this problem in February rather than in May on my way out to a starting line somewhere.

I managed to get the engine back together without pulling any of the other studs out of the block. No leaks anywhere that I can find.
Exhaust water flow seems more constant, with less batching and a little more volume, yet not quite as much as I was expecting. I think my raw water pump is tired, but it still pumps the minimum 3 gpm at idle that Moyer Marine specifies. There was no steam in the exhaust, which is a very good sign. The engine seems to have good pep, especially after a little tweak to the carburetor. I think have a diagnostic tach laying around. I want to see what the RPM's are.

My daughters have moved out and I'm living alone now. My 15 year old beagle spends too much time alone while I'm at work, so he pretty much goes with me everywhere now.
He naps on the settee while I do engine work. He seems to be getting used to the boat and may end up being a sea-dog after all. I won't take him out if I'm going to bash into 20 kts and a square chop though.

#101 ·
Ok, I'm really, really going sailing this Sunday. For real, this time. No joke.

The boat is back together, the forecast is for temps in the mid 50's and sunny with breezes of 10 knots.
I can bring the dog or my daughter has volunteered to watch him for the day.

In the meantime, winds are forecast to gust to nearly 40kts between this afternoon and Friday morning. I'll be double-checking my docklines immediately after work today!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.