SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Chesapeake Rendezvous Sat 11 June 2016 Noon

8K views 84 replies 18 participants last post by  travlin-easy 
#1 ·
Well, if this damned global warming doesn't cause me to freeze to death, I was having serious thoughts about hosting another rendezvous this year in Perryrville. However, because it's at the uppermost portion of Chesapeake Bay, the last time I did it the attendance was just 15 people, which I thought was meager, but last year's rendezvous in the Choptank only drew about 10 people.

Dave didn't show, claiming the Havre de Grace channel was narrow and windy, which it is NOT! It's pretty darned straight and about 100 yards wide. Plus, I found free, overnight dockage for anyone that needed it just a couple hundred yards from the marina where we held the event.

Granted, it's a fair trek up the bay for some, 50 miles from Baltimore Harbor, 45 from the mouth of the Patapsco, 35 from Rock Hall. But, what the Hell, isn't that why you purchased a sailboat - to sail to Saint Somewhere?

And, if you cannot take a couple days off to sail to Perryville, well, you can always drive, which is an easy trip up I-95 or US-40.

Perryville is not a jumping town with lots of night life, but from what I've seen most of the folks that attend these things are not nite club people. Now, if I can still walk, I'll be more than happy to provide the musical entertainment at poolside, which is where we held the rendezvous two years ago. I believe the marina still has the same, monster gas grill for cooking the burgers and brats, which I also supplied, along with an ample supply of my homemade Kahlua and Green Coconut Margarattas.

Now, if someone else wishes to host a rendezvous at another location, I'll still be more than happy to provide the entertainment, Kahlua and Green Coconut Margarettas, and maybe some burgers and brats. I have now officially retired, so time off from work is no longer a problem, and never was because I work for me, when I want to work.

Now, it's just a matter of picking a time and date. In intend to go on a 3 week trip beginning June 5th, sailing down the bay for parts unknown. I'll have two or three friends with me during the trip, but they enjoy a party as much as anyone, so if it falls within that time frame, it's still not a problem. If anyone has a particular time frame and location that is best for them, it's not a problem with me. The biggest determining factor will, obviously, be the weather, which we have absolutely no control over and is, as everyone including NOAA knows, is unpredictable. The option I had at Perryville was an agreement with the local American Legion to be able to use their facility in the event of rain. If it's gonna rain, even if we have a big pavilion, I'm not gonna bring out my music gear - just too damned expensive and sensitive to moisture to take the chance.

OK sports fans, the ball's in your court!

Gary :2 boat:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Gary and Jim-W

I was waiting for someone to restart the rendezvous for 2016.

Perryville is good for me, but really anywhere is OK.

I will be sailing down to the Tangier Sound area late July early August and can adjust timing and route for any location on the bay.

#8 ·
Jim, yep, it's 80 miles from Lewes Harbor Marina to Owens Landing Marina, but if you ride the tide from Lewes, and get an early start, you can make it in a single day. I found that tidal boost coming up Delaware Bay and into the C&D really kicked my right along, though it took me the better part of 14 hours to make the trip. And, I left Lewes before sunrise and got into Perryville just a few minutes before total darkness. Nice trip, though.

An old friend of mine, Joe Morris, owns Lewis Harbor Marina. I haven't talked with him in years, but I assume he is still there. Nice place.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

#10 ·
Cambridge is a piece of cake. But, it's still 80 miles, just not as much tide to ride. If you hit a SW wind, which is likely in June, you'll have an easy sail up the bay and if you time it with the tide, it rips right along in the bay's upper reaches above Pooles Island.

#19 ·
If I recall from last years discussion, there is the railroad bridge with a 53' height. To low for me, and anchoring out with the current coming down the Susquehanna leaves me out via boat. Maybe by car.

In the Chessy 2016 thread, anyone who wants to host a weekend raft up go for it. My summer is to unpredictable to commit to anything this year, but if it works out it would be nice to see some folks.

#20 ·
If held in central Chesapeake we are in. We hosted the first 5 years and are glad others are willing to pick up the ball and run with it. Will be in LI Sound last of July to mid August on vacation

#21 ·
The tentative date, which I must still confirm with the marina, is Saturday, June 11, from 12-noon till 10 p.m..

I will be able to confirm this date and time by Tuesday, but at this point, I don't believe it will be a problem.

The marina said there is a $5 per person facility charge, which is more than reasonable, and that includes the use of their gas grill and the pool, which is very reasonable. If someone needs a slip, there will be a nightly charge for that as well, and I doubt that it will exceed $20 a night. There are 8, free, overnight slips just a few hundred yards downriver of the marina that are owned by the city of Perryville.

The marina is located at 12 River Rd, Perryville, MD 21903. Take a look at Google Earth and you'll get an idea of the facility and where it's located. I need a solid, total number of attendees by June 1st so I can figure out how many burgers, brats, beer, etc..., that I need to purchase. I will leave it up to the rest of you to determine what else to bring in the form of food and beverages. Please post what foodstuffs you intend to bring, which will help avoid duplications.

Shawn, the railroad bridge is just 50 feet clearance, however the river's current south of the railroad bridge is negligible at best. There is a mooring field in front of Tidewater Marina and they never had a problem. Directly across from the mooring field is where the barges anchor that are usually filled with stone from the upriver quarry, and they have no problems. I've anchored just below the railroad bridge several times and never had a hint of current, other than normal tidal currents, and the area is fairly well protected and usually very calm other than wakes from passing powerboats in the channel across the river.

In the event of rain, which is always a possibility, I will attempt to contact the local American Legion, which is 5 short blocks from the marina, to use their facility. There is no pavilion at the marina. If we do have to use the American Legion, we cannot bring in drinks - they must be purchased from the legion bar. Food and drinks there are very, very reasonable and the food is always good.

Keep your fingers crossed for good weather,

#28 · (Edited)
Shawn, the railroad bridge is just 50 feet clearance, however the river's current south of the railroad bridge is negligible at best. There is a mooring field in front of Tidewater Marina and they never had a problem. Directly across from the mooring field is where the barges anchor that are usually filled with stone from the upriver quarry, and they have no problems. I've anchored just below the railroad bridge several times and never had a hint of current, other than normal tidal currents, and the area is fairly well protected and usually very calm other than wakes from passing powerboats in the channel across the river.
Understood... its not so much the anchoring as the dingy ride back at night that Im not fond of after a few libations. That leaves me out, just not a good location for me. One of the virtures of Dave/chef2sail hosting at MYC was both a large anchorage, plenty of transient slips and a short dingy ride for those whom chose to anchor. My best to all the attendees... have a wonderful time, sorry I'll miss it.

#25 ·
Wanderingstar, it's a pretty long drive from Long Island to Perryville - I used to drive to LI ever month and hated the trip to Sag Harbor. Seemed like I would never get there, and then it seemed as if everyone on the trip home was trying their best to kill me with their cars and trucks. Maybe I'm getting old! ;)

#26 ·
Saturday June 11 is good for me.

A sunrise start with favorable current in river and canal on Friday for Chesapeake City in the evening, and fresh for a sunrise start to get into Perryville early afternoon on Saturday 11th.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.