1st time going to DC. Going Sailing!! What to do? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 05-03-2016 Thread Starter

1st time going to DC. Going Sailing!! What to do?

Good day all. I live in Las Cruces New Mexico. I was going to charter a small 34' boat this summer in Corpus Christy, TX. Now work has me going to DC this 4th of July for a year. We canceled our TX charter and plan to sail the Chesapeake Bay for 8-10 days. I'll have my wife (50yrs) and son (18yrs) with me.
I do not know the area at all. I'll be leaving from Harrington Harbor South, about 18 mile sail South of Annapolis.
What is there to do and see?
Some history and dinner in Annapolis, but after that, not sure what to do. I don't mind living off the hook.
Suggestions would be great!!!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-03-2016

Re: 1st time going to DC. Going Sailing!! What to do?

A good source of information is SpinSheet magazine, which is available on the internet.

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran
post #3 of 21 Old 05-03-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Well, you must tie up to Cantler's dock and get some of their famous Maryland blue crabs on the back deck! I only went there once by boat about 7 years ago so get some others' advice on the details. We probably tied up to the wrong dock, but it wasn't clear, and no harm or yelling occurred. You also have to be really careful about depths throughout the Chesapeake. Have a GREAT time

post #4 of 21 Old 05-03-2016

St Michael's is a great place along with Oxford
post #5 of 21 Old 05-03-2016
Sailor

Lots depend upon how much time you have. A nice cruise would be to sail across the Bay and up the Choptank R to the Tred Avon and stay in Mears Oxford or on the hook in town creek. Try to tour Cutts and Case to see their unique method of rebuilding boats. Fascinating place! You can visit St. Mike's from San Domingo Creek, otherwise known as through the the "back door."

Enjoy; the Chesapeake is a great place!

Tod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-03-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

For 8-10 days, setting off from HHS, I'd head over to Oxford first, across the bay. The Robert Morris House is there. This is the home of one of the financiers of the American Revolution. The home is mostly original and intact. It's a lovely B&B and restaurant. It's a beautiful little town full of history.

After a day and a night in Oxford, de-camp and move back out into the Choptank River and head north into San Domingo Creek. This is the "back door" to St. Michael's and it's very close to Oxford. Anchor out again. Enjoy the plethora of restaurants and some good tourism. All in walking distance of each other, there is a brewery, winery and distillery where you can enjoy some taste testing.

After a day and a night in St. Michael's via San Domingo Creek, head out to the Choptank again, and into the bay and head north to Annapolis.
You can get a slip at the town marina in Ego Alley, but be advised that the place is noisy, especially in the morning when all the delivery trucks arrive to re-supply all the eateries.
A better option for a peaceful night's sleep, is to rent a mooring ball and dinghy in or use the water-taxi.
RichH likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #7 of 21 Old 05-03-2016
Sailor

By the way, I think Cantler's is way overpriced but you've got to eat the Blue Crab. It's the area's specialty!

Tod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-03-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

You might do some poking around in the Chesapeake forum.

Chesapeake / Central US east coast - SailNet Community

Chesapeake Bay - SailNet Community

Food suggestions:

Chesapeake Bay Eats

Someone already suggested Spinsheet Magazine and Chesapeake Bay Magazine also has good suggestions.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.

Last edited by Donna_F; 05-03-2016 at 09:15 AM.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-03-2016
Citizen Kane - Contest 31

Welcome to the area. I sailed the bay for years, and just moved to Clearwater Beach, FL...I miss it already! I recommend you take some time to visit Solomons Island MD. Old school bay community, not so commercialized and crowded as Annapolis and great sailing. Zahnisers Marina is the best! If you are looking to charter in that area and need some suggested itineraries, i would suggest looking at Sail Solomons -- great folks.

Good luck and enjoy some of the best sailing!

Gerard
RichH likes this.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-03-2016
Daniel - Norsea 27

I have my boat up in Deale, but not HHN working on my boat. I've been told some places to see is Oxford, St. Michaels, St. Mary's Cambridge, Rock Hall and of course Annapolis.

From what I've heard, even a couple of these places will keep you busy for a while.
Have a good trip out on the Bay.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.