SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

2016 Labor Day Weekend..

11K views 113 replies 30 participants last post by  SVAuspicious 
#1 ·
...I'll know where I'll be..

#2 ·
Me too... our club has an annual event at an island marine park. 25-35 boats typically make an appearance.

This past weekend we sailed over and I treated myself to a float plane ride back (to work) leaving my wife and granddaughter there on the boat for the week. Will ferry over for next weekend.

Newcastle Island park in Nanaimo Harbour. - wonderful spot.

#3 ·
We're definitely planning to spend the entire weekend on the boat - just not sure where yet. Maybe one night at anchor and the other at a transient slip somewhere so we don't keep the daughter cooped up too long.

I'm keeping an eye on Tropical Depression 9 as it looks like it could have the potential to bring us some rain over the weekend.

#4 ·
We are heading out.

Looks like we are taking the down and hoisting the jib every time we sail just like the old days as it will take a number of weeks to get the furler fixed

Cold, wind rain don't stop us. Even a bent furler. Only thing that stops us is excessive heat

We rafting up with friends somewhere Friday and Saturday . Probably on the Choptank or Wye, but possibly the Chester. It's their choice.

Reactions: punahougirl84
#5 ·
I'm heading out from Key Largo Saturday morning to reef-hop down to Marathon and back. Looking forward to some good sailing, getting in some snorkeling and a dive or two, a visit to Lignumvitae Key, enjoying some music and libations at the Lorelei, and just general goofing off on the boat.

#10 ·
Will be heading out to the Gulf Stream to just play for a while. Might be a possible tropical storm this weekend. Could get interesting. At least out of Beaufort, NC, it is real easy to turn around and head back in if things get too scary.

#11 · (Edited)
I didn't know that the Gulf Stream went though the Chesapeake, or that Beaufort was on its shore. Has the sea level risen that much??? :p

#13 ·
No harm, just yanking your chain a little...and poking the eyes of the climate change deniers. :D

Have a safe voyage and let's all hope that TD9 stays just a TD.

#20 ·
Getting off my boat on Saturday. Sunday Morning jumping on a train to New York where I'll hop in a cab and get on a cruise ship bound for Bermuda. Grand niece is having her wedding reception on board. The rest of the time I'll be relaxing on the balcony doing some ship spotting, watching sunsets and having a libation or two in between meals.

#22 ·
Looks like our plans for this weekend are coming together. Our good friends from Maine are returning to their Mason 44 in Galesville tomorrow. They are not sure that their boat will be ready to cruise by this weekend, so they have invited us to be their guests at West River Sailing Club. Tentative plan is to sail down to West River on Saturday and take one of the club's mooring balls (if available) or anchor. We'll daysail with them on Sunday, and return to Rock Hall on Monday.

Several factors could change this plan, but that's what it's looking like now. Maybe I can say hello to Ajax while I'm there. Is Dave still keeping Auspicious at Pirate's Cove?

We had been thinking of finding someplace more secluded, but getting together with friends is more important to us. I am not sure any cove will be secluded on a holiday weekend anyway, so a different weekend might be better for secluded anchoring.

#28 ·
There are plenty of secluded coves on Holiday weekends just not the western shore. Chester, Wye, Choptank are far less crowded.

We were meeting and rafting with friends this weekend but it looks like the weather will nix that.

#24 · (Edited)
Oops, I had been following the predicted path of TD9, but last time I checked wasn't seeing the wind forecast. Now it's looking like Saturday afternoon could be even stronger than Sunday, with gusts above 50.

Thanks for the reminder.

#25 ·
The wife and I will be starting are (2) week journey leaving from the south end of Lake Michigan and ending up at the South end of Lake Huron all with a new to us Hunter 41 DS, will spend a couple of days becoming familiar with her and then North bound we will be.

#27 · (Edited)
Looks like this weekend is shaping up to check for leaks and anchor holding testing...

p.s. t/s Hermine has developed in the Gulf and the new track appears to take it through the middle part of the Chesapeake Bay by Sat. into Sun. with winds predicting to be in the 50-60 mph range..

#37 · (Edited)
Chef2sail,
I hope you are not confusing TD8 with TS/maybe hurricane Hermine?
JPG below should be dynamic ie change as its updated.
Currently well inside tge coast, well inside Hatteras.

That the forecasters have not got it right yet is not because the forecasters are imbiciles but because this TS is a dodgy little bugger... And i am keeping a Close Watch on it because it could stuff up a lot of peoples weekends... 9 inches rain forecast in a strip from Florida till Virginia. Thats one bucket of water! :nerd

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/212352.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Attachments

#38 ·
I just looked at the projected tracks of Hermine, and, not just because I'm an old guy, I decided to err on the side of caution of put off my trip south to the Rappahannock River until next week. I've had my share of 50 MPH winds, and they just were not much fun at all. :)

All the best,

Gary :cool:

#39 ·
I have zero interest in scaring the kids and the husband by going out in those winds! While I'm used to high winds, even I prefer to keep it down to 35 knots and 40 knot gusts LOL. And not while motoring into a skinny channel... And not with a 34 year-old rig.

But seriously, we appreciate the advice. I plan to watch the forecast and adjust plans as necessary, even if that means securing the boat ahead of a storm and staying home playing games and watching movies with the family. I'm obviously hoping with all my might that the storm will take a track that won't mess with our plans (the really important things being the kids and the husband having that Monday off - three-day weekends are to be cherished). I spent yesterday and today working on the boat, and had planned to work on stuff at home tomorrow (doing laundry, making food to take, cleaning).

Our older kids enjoy sailing and much prefer a good breeze. It's our youngest who has issues with sailing (though the first time he went he loved it, but heeling is an issue). His thing right now is that he doesn't want to sleep on the boat and thinks he won't be able to sleep on the boat (unless he is "exhausted") because It's A Boat! We talked through two concerns (good working bilge, and the ability to close hatches if it rains). Him not wanting to sleep on the boat will really mess up cruising. I was hoping this weekend, which had HAD a good forecast, would be a good intro to it and working him through his concerns. Sigh.

He's hoping something will happen to make us cancel. I'm hoping for ALL of us that he's wrong :)

#41 ·
Those are not the kind of track that instills fears of wrecked marina's, shredded sails and destroyed boats on the Chesapeake.

Looks like these two will destroy long weekend plans, but the truly scary ones are the "Hey diddle, diddle straight up the middle ones."

#44 ·
The new track has moved east, skirting up the coast as it weakens, becoming extra-tropical by the time it is off the Maryland coast, and being offshore.
NHC shows a only 30% chance of the Chesapeake Bay experiencing TS force winds (40kts), and that's late Saturday/early Sunday.

As PS said, this may impact weekend plans but this is not any kind of epic storm. Obviously there is still time for things to go badly wrong, but today's update is a slightly happier forecast than what we were looking at yesterday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.