2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake - Page 22 - SailNet Community
 148Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #211 of 218 Old 3 Days Ago

Re: 2017 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

The cable I'm running is an NMEA-2000 which will connect the AIS/VHF to the GPS/Plotter. I already have a string of network connections and T fittings that connect the 3G radar system to the plotter and high-speed antenna connection for the radar. Lots of wires and connections, so I constructed an enclosure that sits beneath the helm between the SS support tubes. Never ceases to amaze me how many tiny wires are running throughout the damned boat, all of which are subject to failure in the distant future. Or, maybe not too distant future.

Gary
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 218 Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
The cable I'm running is an NMEA-2000 which will connect the AIS/VHF to the GPS/Plotter. I already have a string of network connections and T fittings that connect the 3G radar system to the plotter and high-speed antenna connection for the radar. Lots of wires and connections, so I constructed an enclosure that sits beneath the helm between the SS support tubes. Never ceases to amaze me how many tiny wires are running throughout the damned boat, all of which are subject to failure in the distant future. Or, maybe not too distant future.

Gary
Hello Gary, not sure which radio you are connecting, my Standard Horizon 2150 hooks into the chartplotter with nmea 0183 connections - more of those tiny little wires. AIS on the chartplotter is one of the best upgrades I've installed, well worth the work.

I think you can put the NMEA 2000 anywhere you can reach the backbone or inside a T fitting, then the data will find its way to the plotter/radar/radio etc. If your backbone is inside the hull it may be an easier run than all the way to the pedestal.

Another standard is on the way - Signal K - someday everything will talk to everything else wirelessly or by magic. Sadly at least another season or two of running tiny wires with big connectors.
post #213 of 218 Old 3 Days Ago

For those with problems wiring your GX2150 (or other AIS receiver/transponder running NMEA0183 protocol) to your helm station, I'll point out that NMEA0183 (based on RS422/232 protocol) transmits very nicely over Bluetooth running Serial Port Protocol. You need a Bluetooth transmitter at the radio, and a second receiver at the helm station which, if you're using a tablet with chartplotter software, might already be built into the tablet. And, of course, once the tablet gets the data wirelessly, you can take it anywhere on the boat - at the helm or under the dodger based on weather conditions.

This is the setup which I had in my prior boat, and I stripped it off and will be moving it to my current boat this spring.

Bluetooth isn't the only way to do this - Wifi adapters can also be used.

I'm less familiar with NMEA2000, except that I know that it is based on the CAN bus automotive protocol, so I suspect that there would be adapters that could put that over Wifi also (though probably not Bluetooth).

So much is wireless these days, fighting these wiring issues through a pedestal guard seems so 20th century.

Unfortunately, my Standard Horizon RAM mic has to be hardwired, so I need to fight the wiring problem for that. But not for my AIS or other instruments - that will all be wireless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
PO of 1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (new owners relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
1991 17' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

post #214 of 218 Old 2 Days Ago
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

As a worker in networking and IT, I'm aware of the pro's and con's of wireless technology.

I certainly don't begrudge anyone else wirelessly networking their boat but I've decided that it's not for me, as a "primary" method. I prefer the hardwired chartplotter and I have an independent Bluetooth-and-iPad solution as a backup/repeater down at the nav station...and paper charts, of course.

For me, a NMEA 0183 link for AIS was only a 2 conductor, 18 AWG wire so I ran it through an existing deck gland to the VHF. After some internet research it was fairly cake to isolate the necessary signal wires and get everything working.

1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #215 of 218 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
As a worker in networking and IT, I'm aware of the pro's and con's of wireless technology.

I certainly don't begrudge anyone else wirelessly networking their boat but I've decided that it's not for me, as a "primary" method. I prefer the hardwired chartplotter and I have an independent Bluetooth-and-iPad solution as a backup/repeater down at the nav station...and paper charts, of course.

For me, a NMEA 0183 link for AIS was only a 2 conductor, 18 AWG wire so I ran it through an existing deck gland to the VHF. After some internet research it was fairly cake to isolate the necessary signal wires and get everything working.
I am with you and prefer the hardwired way to go on most of my equipment as long as it doesn't look cobbled together.

Currently I'll be like Rick ...half hard wired and half wireless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #216 of 218 Old 1 Day Ago
Chastened

Re: cobbled together

I've added rather a lot of systems and wiring this winter as my way of not going stir-crazy.
For the most part, everything is tidy and terminated or joined with heat-shrink lined connectors but there are a couple of spots where I need to re-run and consolidate the wiring.
The area immediately behind the breaker panel is a mess but that's POs' doing and I'll straighten it out.

My pedestal guard tubing is not "full" but the exit hole under the cabin sole needs to be enlarged to allow more wires to exit. The !#@* compressor for the A-B Cold Machine might hinder my plan to enlarge the exit hole. I actually have a 90-degree drill. That might be the ticket if the drill bit isn't too long.

One of my bigger frustrations is properly and reliably joining tiny, 20 awg signal wires. Maine Sail referred me to an infrequently carried butt connector that is color coded white/clear that is 18 or 20 awg. That would work but a bundle of them would be rather bulky and I'd still have to wrap and seal it with vulcanizing tape. Right now I've soldered them, jammed the soldered wires into one end of a "red" butt connector and crimped, then wrapped and sealed the bundle.

Not my finest work.

1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #217 of 218 Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
...One of my bigger frustrations is properly and reliably joining tiny, 20 awg signal wires. Maine Sail referred me to an infrequently carried butt connector that is color coded white/clear that is 18 or 20 awg....
I'm struggling with the exact same problem, except my signal wires are even smaller and flimsier. I'm trying to re-use the existing RAM mic wire to my pedestal by splicing on the new plugs at each end. Both RAM mics are by Standard Horizon, but they changed the plugs to a new proprietary design when they introduced the RAM3.

Your wires might splice very well with the gold/white 3M UY2 connectors that were invented for the telephone industry for 19-26 AWG. They are quick and easy to use (no stripping of insulation required), and also somewhat waterproof, though not strictly marine grade, so some purists may object. Unfortunately, they did not work for my application because my wires are too small and flimsy for even these tiny connectors, so I'm open to alternatives that others could suggest. I really would like to splice onto the existing wire instead of having to run a new one:

Lot of 100 3M UY2 Connectors | eBay

Ajax_MD likes this.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
PO of 1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (new owners relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
1991 17' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
post #218 of 218 Old 14 Hours Ago
Chastened

Made it out for a nice, but brief day sail after work yesterday.
A rock-steady, 7kt breeze from the southeast. Fast, flat water.

That'll serve as my mental health break until we get past this final cold snap for the next couple days. Saturday is forecast to be near 70F and sunny.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.

1981 Tartan 33 #168

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.