Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Places to drop a hook or overnight

I've been sailing Chesapeake for some time now, out of West river area, but most of my sailing tends to be daysails - motor out, sail a few times across the bay, go up to the bridge, thats about it. I enjoy the process of sailing and don't have a particular target, so thats fine with me.

Still, once in a while I feel like I want to go "somwhere" - but I really don't know much about places around here. What are your favorite destinations for droppnig a lunch hook or staying overnight, somwhere within days sailing from the area?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Tons of good anchorages!

Brak,

I sail out of Rock Creek off the Patapsco and get down to the West River quite often. Just look at a chart and see all the possibilities within a day's sail for you. Some ideas:

Going North -- Magothy River (pick a creek, or behind Dobbins Island), Patapsco (Bodkin Creek, Rock Creek), Swan Creek (eastern shore above Rock Hall), even picking up a mooring in Annapolis Harbor, Chester River (pick a creek), South River (again, pick a creek), Rhode River.

Going east -- Wye River, St. Michaels, Miles River.

Going south -- Choptank River, Dun Cove (backside of Tilghman Is.), Oxford, Little Choptank. Solomons is a push but very doable in a day. I have singlehanded from the Rhode to Solomons a couple of times, and have even done it from Annapolis proper.

Will this get you started? Man, it's making me crazy just thinking about it.
SVAuspicious likes this.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 01-07-2007
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMitch
Will this get you started? Man, it's making me crazy just thinking about it.
Sure will, thanks for the ideas
Old 01-07-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Hello Neighbor SailorMitch, we too sail out of Rock Creek, Oak Harbor Marina.

Mitch covered them well. I'd second Swan Creek. Other favorites include Hawks Cove, behind Gibson Island, and the Corsica off the Chester River. A bit further if you get a real early start are on the Northern Bay are, Fairlee Creek, Still Pond, and Worton Creeks.

You may want to pick up a Guide to Cruising the Chesapeake Bay. It gives good insight into the uniqueness of hundreds of anchorages and their personalities.

In the height of the season many will be VERY crowded, especially for the late arrivals, double that if its a holiday weekend!!!

Last edited by T37Chef; 05-03-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2007
Sea Slacker

Do you mean this one - http://www.mdnautical.com/cb-gtccb.htm ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef
You may want to pick up a Guide to Cruising the Chesapeake Bay. It gives good insight into the uniqueness of hundreds of anchorages and their personalities.
Old 01-07-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
That be it...we'll probably see one another out there this year. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2007
Sea Slacker

Come over for a beer when anchored I don't stand a chance of catching up to your boat under way

Quote:
That be it...we'll probably see one another out there this year. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2007
Sailmanles

longwaterline is on a distinguished road
Rhode River is one of my favorites sailing up from Herring Bay. A nice part about Chesapeake Bay sailing around the Annapolis, MD area is the multitude of protected anchorages within a day sail from West River.
Old 01-07-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Brak...Do get that guide...once you do you will be unable to put it down...there are YEARS of weekends in that book!!
Two of our favorite places are Solomons Island and St. Mike's in your area.
We used to keep our boat further down the Bay south of the Potomac but always stopped at those two towns on our jaunts north.

One of the most interesting places to see by boat that really suprised us was the City of Baltimore. That is probably best saved for when you have a really long weekend but it is an easy trip and a wonderful place to hang out. From the waterfront you have walking distance access to malls, the science museum, the aquarium (incredible), Little Italy, and you can even walk to an Orioles game. You CAN anchor right off the mall but there is a lot of bottom debris so I always take a slip and use the water taxi to get around.
Have fun out there!
Old 01-07-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Hello Neighbor SailorMitch, we too sail out of Rock Creek, Oak Harbor Marina.

Mitch covered them well. I'd second Swan Creek. Other favorites include Hawks Cove, behind Gibson Island, and the Corsica off the Chester River. A bit further if you get a real early start are on the Northern Bay are, Fairlee Creek, Still Pond, and Worton Creeks. South

In the hight of the season many will be VERY crowded, especially for the late arrivals, double that if its a holiday weekend!!!
Hey, I'm at Oak Harbor, too. I'll send you a PM. Great place to sail out of.

Brak -- literally, just point your boat the way the wind blows you, and there will be a nice anchorage there waiting for you. The northern bay is a tremendous place!
T37Chef likes this.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.