Annapolis to Rappahannock River; mid-point overnight stop - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 Old 04-20-2017

Re: Annapolis to Rappahannock River; mid-point overnight stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Solomans Is (Mill Cr.) Is my usual halfway to the Rappahannock, from the Annapolis area.
For a 31 ft. boat, you'd be 'pushing it' to make the L. Wicomico in one day.
However, if you're in a good NW'er and the tides are 'with you', then Smith Cr. on the North Shore of the Potomac ... just up the river from Pt. Lookout is an optimistic one (long) day under 'supreme' reaching conditions.
As I mentioned above, I did basically the same trip, same time of year and I covered 100 miles in one day coming down the bay from Rock Hall to the Yeocomico. Yes, he could go up river to Smith Creek, but an extra hour will get him to Smith Point in VA. The Coan River in VA would be a better choice than Smith Creek. About the same distance coming from the north, but about an hour closer to his destination the next day.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 04-21-2017
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSailor View Post
That sounds sort of like Windmill Point. There is a struggling development right at the point there that comes close to that description, though I think the plan is a waterfront community rather than RV park. Just a tad too remote to catch traction apparently.
I could have sworn it was off the Coan River. I can see it clearly in memory. There is a large rectangular basin. At the time two thirds was built-out as a marina and the far end was an empty lagoon. You sailed down the fairway to get through the marina and into the lagoon where you could anchor. Huge RV park and small campground. Very far from anything. A little run down when I was there in 2008 or 2009. I know the owner was trying to sell so maybe it isn't even a marina anymore.

I spent some time with Google Earth but nothing is popping out.

Quote:
If I was going to stop
Which was my point - don't plan to stop but DO plan for bail-outs. The characteristics of a good bail-out are different than those of a general cruising destination. Ideally there would be a good place to leave the boat if the problem that led to bailing takes time to resolve, services either on-site or mobile, access to transportation, and at least a restaurant.

Accordingly Reedville is a decent bail-out regardless of what it smells like.

Many of my friends get frustrated with my approach to covering ground. "Go, then go some more." *grin*

The time and place to do research on bail-outs is in a comfortable place with good Internet and a big screen. Much more productive than trying to decide where to go after something has failed when your resources are more limited and your attention is divided. You hope that your work is pointless because you don't need to stop.

Which leads to an important point for the OP: make sure you have towing insurance. TowboatUS Unlimited Gold or the SeaTow equivalent is the way to go.

Anyway transportation makes the Western Shore much more attractive than the Eastern Shore for bail-outs. If something does happen and the OP has to drive home it would be nice to have a two or three hour drive instead of six or eight. There are always gotchas - in Deltaville for example the marinas are outside the range of Enterprise to deliver a rental car. Frustrating. I've schmoozed a ride to a restaurant where Enterprise would come get me. Sometimes you have to be creative.

Quote:
The overnight option is a better bet for non-stop, especially having to go all the way up to Norris Bridge.
Exactly.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 47 Old 04-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
There's only 2 marinas on the Coan. Lewisetta Marina and Coan River Marina. Coan closed down a few years ago and I don't believe it ever opened back up. I've used Lewisetta for winter haul out for many years.
Can River marina is open again with new owners.

Gerhard

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

post #34 of 47 Old 04-21-2017

Quote:
As I mentioned above, I did basically the same trip, same time of year and I covered 100 miles in one day coming down the bay from Rock Hall to the Yeocomico. Yes, he could go up river to Smith Creek, but an extra hour will get him to Smith Point in VA. The Coan River in VA would be a better choice than Smith Creek. About the same distance coming from the north, but about an hour closer to his destination the next day.
The problem with the Coan R. is that the 'entrance' at Walnut Point is getting VERY skinny and questionable at normal low tide for anything deeper than about 5'6"; once your 'in', no problem. This leaves the adjacent Glebe R. which tends to 'funnel' winds from the SW. (My wife is an editor of one of the Chex. Cruising Guides, so we visit a lot of anchoring places on the Chex. on a semi-regular basis ... Im 'just the 'driver').
Actually if you check, Smith Creek is probably a shorter 'run' from the mouth of the Potomac than the Yeomico R. or the Coan/Glebe R.
post #35 of 47 Old 04-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I could have sworn it was off the Coan River. I can see it clearly in memory. There is a large rectangular basin. At the time two thirds was built-out as a marina and the far end was an empty lagoon. You sailed down the fairway to get through the marina and into the lagoon where you could anchor. Huge RV park and small campground. Very far from anything. A little run down when I was there in 2008 or 2009. I know the owner was trying to sell so maybe it isn't even a marina anymore.

I spent some time with Google Earth but nothing is popping out.

Which was my point - don't plan to stop but DO plan for bail-outs. The characteristics of a good bail-out are different than those of a general cruising destination. Ideally there would be a good place to leave the boat if the problem that led to bailing takes time to resolve, services either on-site or mobile, access to transportation, and at least a restaurant.

Accordingly Reedville is a decent bail-out regardless of what it smells like.

Many of my friends get frustrated with my approach to covering ground. "Go, then go some more." *grin*

The time and place to do research on bail-outs is in a comfortable place with good Internet and a big screen. Much more productive than trying to decide where to go after something has failed when your resources are more limited and your attention is divided. You hope that your work is pointless because you don't need to stop.

Which leads to an important point for the OP: make sure you have towing insurance. TowboatUS Unlimited Gold or the SeaTow equivalent is the way to go.

Anyway transportation makes the Western Shore much more attractive than the Eastern Shore for bail-outs. If something does happen and the OP has to drive home it would be nice to have a two or three hour drive instead of six or eight. There are always gotchas - in Deltaville for example the marinas are outside the range of Enterprise to deliver a rental car. Frustrating. I've schmoozed a ride to a restaurant where Enterprise would come get me. Sometimes you have to be creative.

Exactly.
Good commentary about the need for 'bailout places' - important especially in the earlier part of the sailing season when tornadic thunderstorms are traditional.

Mill Creek across from and a bit south of the entrance to Reedville is damn good anchorage for almost all wind directions.
The intensely smelly 'fish plant' at Reedville has been shut-in for several years due to federal fisheries menhaden harvest restrictions. I don't know the current state of the 'shut-in'.
chef2sail likes this.
post #36 of 47 Old 04-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
The problem with the Coan R. is that the 'entrance' at Walnut Point is getting VERY skinny and questionable at normal low tide for anything deeper than about 5'6"; once your 'in', no problem. This leaves the adjacent Glebe R. which tends to 'funnel' winds from the SW. (My wife is an editor of one of the Chex. Cruising Guides, so we visit a lot of anchoring places on the Chex. on a semi-regular basis ... Im 'just the 'driver').
Actually if you check, Smith Creek is probably a shorter 'run' from the mouth of the Potomac than the Yeomico R. or the Coan/Glebe R.
2 things...the OP was asking about marinas and my suggestion is Lewisetta marina on the Coan which doesn't take you anywhere near Walnut Pt.
If you look at the map, the distance from the Pt. Lookout turn to Lewisetta is less than a mile further than to Windmill Pt. marina on Smith Creek. So it is just a little further to get to the Coan but the next day the Coan to Smith Pt. is much shorter than Smith Creek to Smith Pt, probably about 3 miles shorter.
post #37 of 47 Old 04-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstraub View Post
Can River marina is open again with new owners.
Glad to hear they opened back up.
I see you are in Callao. I keep my boat at Freddies. Have known him since I was a kid when he and his dad started building the marina.

Catalina 34
post #38 of 47 Old 04-21-2017

Quote:
Glad to hear they opened back up.
I see you are in Callao. I keep my boat at Freddies. Have known him since I was a kid when he and his dad started building the marina.
I'm the sailboat across the creek, just to the north.

Gerhard

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
post #39 of 47 Old 04-21-2017

Quote:
2 things...the OP was asking about marinas and my suggestion is Lewisetta marina on the Coan which doesn't take you anywhere near Walnut Pt.
If you look at the map, the distance from the Pt. Lookout turn to Lewisetta is less than a mile further than to Windmill Pt. marina on Smith Creek. So it is just a little further to get to the Coan but the next day the Coan to Smith Pt. is much shorter than Smith Creek to Smith Pt, probably about 3 miles shorter.
We're splittin' hairs here.
Pt. Lookout to the entrance of Smith is 6.3mi, plus another mile 'in'.
Pt. Lookout to the entrance of the Coan/Glebe is 7.3mi.

Yup, Coan to Smith Pt. is 3 miles shorter ... so get up 20-30 minutes earlier !!!!

I'd make my choice of either based on wind strength and direction, plus waves / seastate. The mouth of the Potomac can be 'real snotty' when the tides are contrary to one another (a hydraulic anomaly at the mouth of the Potomac) and the when winds are 'up' in the vicinity of Pt. Lookout to Smith Pt.
Pt. Lookout usually has the worst conditions (large standing waves) during such a hydraulic anomaly.

regards ;-)
chef2sail likes this.
post #40 of 47 Old 04-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstraub View Post
I'm the sailboat across the creek, just to the north.

Gerhard
Yep, I know the boat you are talking about.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.