Tangier Island is disappearing..

Well..as if we don't know this..

https://www.yahoo.com/news/just-100-...194135872.html
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 168 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Re: Tangier Island is disappearing..

That island, like many other islands in Chesapeake Bay, will eventually wash away. This is something that happens in ALL estuaries and the only way to prevent this is to spend hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to construct a sea wall around the island's perimeter, which would be insane.

One of the reasons for the shoreline erosion is the loss of aquatic vegetation in the shallows of Chesapeake Bay. Those sea grasses began vanishing in the late 1800s and will continue to be lost as the water quality of the bay continues to be degraded by a number of sources. Additionally, there was a time when the residents of both Tangier and Smith islands dredged for soft shell crabs in those grasses, uprooting huge tracts of the vegetation in the process. Naysayers said it was no different than mowing a lawn and was actually healthy for the grass, but history proved them dead wrong.

As for the sea level rising in Chesapeake Bay - Nope - not happening thus far. According to several reports, the average level is the same as it was 200 years ago. Al Gore said Baltimore would be underwater by 2012, guess Al was a bit off the mark. Then, last night, I heard a NOAA model said that global warming at the current rate will increase the planet's average temperature by .0174 degrees during the next 75 years, but that was only if there was no change in solar activity, which is never the case. I wonder if my 9 year old grandson will notice a .0174 degree temperature change when he 84 years old?

Just had another thought, how about doing to Tangier and Smith islands the same thing that was done to Poplar Island, which also faced the same peril. Those of us that are really old remember Poplar Island when it consisted of a half dozen islands that formed an atol. It was a great place to catch big striped bass, white perch and slammer bluefish during spring and late fall. The state of Maryland decided that this island could be preserved by turning it into a dredging spoil site, similar to what took place at the Hart/Miller island complex and Battery Island near Havre de Grace. If the feds decide to dredge the Potomac, which is continually being silted in, it's not all that far to Tangier and Smith Island for those dredging barges to transport the spoils. That island could soon be 20 feet above sea level. Think about it!

Gary
RichH, kd3pc, SHNOOL and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 168 Old 2 Weeks Ago
░░░░░░░░░░

Folks just don't seem to understand the way this planet works. Either barrier islands are eroded/flooded and they go away, or spoil accumulates until they are part of the mainland.

And LETTING those things happen, without interfering, is actually what "ecology" is all about.

Of course Chicago and Seattle, where the town fathers literally raised ground level by ten feet in order to get the city out of a diseased swamp, are examples of what *local* folks can do, all by themselves, if they don't like the ecology.
travlin-easy likes this.

post #4 of 168 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Dirt Free

James Micheners "Chesapeake" is a terrific novel and talks about this issue ..... 200 years ago.

Cruising tip. Many years ago I read "Chesapeke" while cruising the Chesapeake. It really brought the book to life. I then searched out books related to wherever I was cruising at the time and found some great reading.
Dfok, Rhapsody-NS27 and seabeau like this.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Last edited by boatpoker; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:39 PM.
post #5 of 168 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

FWIW, aquatic vegetation has made a comeback in the last year or two.
Horned pond weed has come roaring back this spring, in my cove. I've never seen anything like it. Huge carp have come spawning and feeding in it in the mornings.
The vegetation provides a place for juvenile blue crab and fish to hide while they mature.

The Chesapeake suffers from glacial subsidence... the land is naturally sinking. Whether we can or should do anything about it is a complex topic.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #6 of 168 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Of course Chicago and Seattle, where the town fathers literally raised ground level by ten feet in order to get the city out of a diseased swamp, are examples of what *local* folks can do, all by themselves, if they don't like the ecology.
And those areas will eventually be returned to their former selves, by that evil witch - Mother Nature. You can see similar ebb and flow on the outer banks of NC.

DC was built the same way from the swamps of the Anacostia and Potomac rivers. As travelin easy mentions there are quite a few, once beautiful stopping points that were the go to places in the late 60's and 70's that are now shallow water.

bests
post #7 of 168 Old 2 Weeks Ago
gdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
As for the sea level rising in Chesapeake Bay - Nope - not happening thus far. According to several reports, the average level is the same as it was 200 years ago. Al Gore said Baltimore would be underwater by 2012, guess Al was a bit off the mark. Then, last night, I heard a NOAA model said that global warming at the current rate will increase the planet's average temperature by .0174 degrees during the next 75 years, but that was only if there was no change in solar activity, which is never the case. I wonder if my 9 year old grandson will notice a .0174 degree temperature change when he 84 years old?
I hate to pick a global warming fight here, but I can't let this slide. Sea-level IS going up across the globe with most estimates indicating a rise of about 10 inches over the last century. If you think Baltimore is representative of the Chesapeake, then that includes the Bay as well. Tide gauge data in Batlimore shows about the same change as the rest of the globe.

Regarding the temperature... I'm not sure which model you are referring to, but no one in the scientific community looks at only one model - it's important to look at all of the available information, and then take some kind of average. Assuming that there is a model showing only 0.0174 degree change in 75 years with "business as usual" carbon emissions, it's definitely a low outlier compared to other guidance.

Regarding this entire thing... I get so frustrated with these discussions. I'm not a climate change researcher, but I am a professional scientist who is occasionally required to engage in these discussions with clients and others within my organization. IMO... We shouldn't be discussing whether or not the climate is changing (it is) or whether we are causing it (we are). It's really about how those changes are going to impact people and what we are or are not willing to do / pay in order to prevent some of those things from happening.
Minnesail likes this.
post #8 of 168 Old 2 Weeks Ago

That information came from a NOAA study that was reported both on the radio and Fox News a couple days ago.

As for the scientific conclusions, well, from the 50 or so reports I've thoroughly read, the scientific community does not agree on much of anything, especially our influence on climatic events. Can I do anything to change this - NOPE! And, I for many years I too worked in the world of science, mostly surgical research, but the standards were the same as in all scientific studies.

All the best,

Gary
post #9 of 168 Old 2 Weeks Ago
gdr

If you are into reading about this stuff, then the IPCC and RealClimate are good places to start. Most scientists don't disagree on the basics of climate change, but there is still a lot of uncertainty regarding many of the outcomes that matter. It is clear that it will be warmer and that the sea level will continue to rise.

Gary - thanks for keeping it civil. I've seen these discussions go completely sideways in the past, and I appreciate that you are keeping it on an even keel. I'm not interested in a tit-for-tat (and I don't think you are either), so I'll let this go from here unless something really requires a response.

Enjoy the day.
post #10 of 168 Old 2 Weeks Ago

Either way, Tangier Island will eventually go underwater, and there's nothing I, or anyone else on this forum, can do about it. Sharps Island, Fox Island in Tangier Sound, several small islands of the Susquehanna Flats, Poplar Island and several in the lower bay, have all eroded away during my lifetime. The only islands still above water that will likely remain in place are spoils islands, such as Hart/Miller, Poplar and a few others that are protected by rip-rap barriers from erosion. Even Pooles Island is showing signs of eroding away on the west side, and I sincerely believe in this instance, the loss of bay grasses from horrendous pollution is the likely culprit.

Here's a neat study you may wish to read as well: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...er-than-losses

This one may also be of interest to readers as well https://www.iceagenow.info/underwate...ays-geologist/

All the best,

Gary
Sal Paradise likes this.

Last edited by travlin-easy; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.