Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by theArchitect View Post
Did anybody sail Saturday? The wind was really blowing and then my crew blew their breakfasts over the sides. Got to the sand bar near low tide and sailed south and around it. Sunday I sailed straight across just north of the #4 marker near high tide. I never saw anything shallower than 5.8 pop up on the depth sounder.
it was a blowing wasn't it...we had a double reef in the main and furled head sail still making 7.5 to 8.5 knots all the way to the Magothy! I would have put out all the canvas but heeling past 35 degrees isn't fun with a 3 year old and a 6 month old on board!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by theArchitect View Post
Did anybody sail Saturday? The wind was really blowing and then my crew blew their breakfasts over the sides. Got to the sand bar near low tide and sailed south and around it. Sunday I sailed straight across just north of the #4 marker near high tide. I never saw anything shallower than 5.8 pop up on the depth sounder.
I was on a friend's trawler out of Great Oak Saturday morning, heading for Annapolis and the Navy game (ugh). I would have given anything to be sailing, but the rollers coming out of the Patapsco were pretty fierce. The trawler had a helluva time rolling with the quartering seas.

We did see a group of about 10-12 catboats heading for Rock Hall out if Annapolis. They were having a ball. Saw what looked like a HR center cockpit sailboat with a reef in the main and a full jib out, motorsailng while on a broad reach - kinda scratched my head on that one.

I'd forgotten how narrow the channel is coming out of Fairlee Creek.
Old 09-17-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteele65 View Post
I was on a friend's trawler out of Great Oak Saturday morning, heading for Annapolis and the Navy game (ugh). I would have given anything to be sailing, but the rollers coming out of the Patapsco were pretty fierce. The trawler had a helluva time rolling with the quartering seas.
There is a note on your charts for that area (mouth of Patapsco) that states 12 foot waves (or was it 8' ???) have been reported in the area of seven foot knoll. I could bet with some good wind from the right direction, and some traffic in the area it could get pretty nasty. It must have something to do with the bottom profile.

Last edited by Sapperwhite; 09-17-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperwhite View Post
There is a note on your charts for that area (mouth of Patapsco) that states 12 foot waves (or was it 8' ???) have been reported in the area of seven foot knoll. I could bet with some good wind from the right direction, and some traffic in the area it could get pretty nasty. It must have something to due with the bottom profile.
Yes, and its relativity close to the shipping channel into Baltimore. In 3 seasons of sailing out of the Patapsco I have never witnessed anything close to 12' waves but I bet your right, wind direction, a strong current, and a passing freighter and watch out
Old 09-17-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
it was a blowing wasn't it...we had a double reef in the main and furled head sail still making 7.5 to 8.5 knots all the way to the Magothy! I would have put out all the canvas but heeling past 35 degrees isn't fun with a 3 year old and a 6 month old on board!
Sat. about 1 PM I left Oak Harbor Marina (Rock Creek off the Patapsco for those who don't know) headed for a Pearson Sailing Association rendezvous on Swan Creek. It was a lively sail. I just put a single reef in the main, no jib, and was doing 7 kts several times. Yes, lots of rollers coming down the Patapsco, but what a sail over to the Eastern Shore.

I crossed the Swan Point Bar just after low tide, lined up the range lights and didn't have a problem. Lowest reading I saw was about 5 1/2 ft.

Then Sunday I had another nice sail from Swan Creek down to Annapolis. Then the wind died just below the bridge of course. Oh well.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 09-17-2007

Swan Creek at night...arrrh

We left the marina late the Saturday before last, about 5:30 PM. So we decided to head for Swan Creek again. Figuring I knew it well enough to navigate safely at night.

No problem getting across the bar headed for the red "2" between the range markers which is a way point on the GPS. No problem finding the red marking the entrance to Swan Creek off Gratitude Marina. But geeeeeezzzz, after that nothing, no lighted markers of any kind. It was overcast and blowing pretty good that night. Knowing that the depth around the entrance can be shallow, I was a little stressed. With the spotlight we located the can buoy's eventually with not incident.

They should really put at least two lighted markers in there. I would not like to keep my boat there and have to navigate the entrance in bad weather with the current channel markers , especially in a southerly blow...yikes!

Amazing how your depth perception changes at night.

Oh..then there was the 50' Sport Fishing Yacht barreling straight toward us at a high speed like a freaking torpedo with NO running lights. A little to close for comfort. I hailed him on the VHF 16 with no success, but hopefully the DNR or Coasties heard me and got the dumb ass.
Old 09-18-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
No problem getting across the bar headed for the red "2" between the range markers which is a way point on the GPS. No problem finding the red marking the entrance to Swan Creek off Gratitude Marina. But geeeeeezzzz, after that nothing, no lighted markers of any kind. It was overcast and blowing pretty good that night. Knowing that the depth around the entrance can be shallow, I was a little stressed. With the spotlight we located the can buoy's eventually with not incident.

They should really put at least two lighted markers in there. I would not like to keep my boat there and have to navigate the entrance in bad weather with the current channel markers , especially in a southerly blow...yikes!
The two red marks at the "hourglass" shape of the channel can be tricky at night, but once you pass them just head down the side of the mooring field pretty close till you get to the end. After that you should be right on top of the little cans that mark the northern end of the creek. The trick is to get through that hourglass though.
Old 12-15-2007

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Chef and Mitch,

We sail the same places you do, We are out of Rock Creek as Mitch is at the Maryland Yacht Club. 35 C&C called Haleakula. I concur with your observations about the bar at Rock Hall. This year I added a C-80 Chartplotter and it is worth its weight in gold (and anxiety) in terms of comming in entrances at night and foggy visability.

Three weeks ago we anchored for the first time behind Cackaway Island and had one of the best nights. First time there. At dusk at least 500 geese came down and landing in the water next to the boat like a scene from Hitchcocks "The Birds". Just winterized today. Let me know the namkes of your boats and I will look for you next year.

Dave
Old 12-15-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
T37Chef and I are both at Oak Harbor Marine farther up the creek from you. I know several people at Md Yacht Club -- the Cusicks and the Beers. Both Pearson owners like me. T37's boat is named Windgeist (hope I spelled that right) and mine is Inner Voice. I'm on the hard now but I think Chef is still in the water. Getting ready to go to the marina shortly and I'll check on him. Next year we will have to organize a raft-up.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 12-22-2007

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Mitch,

I recognize both of your boats names. We have sailed by you ( going in opposite directions of course). Dick Cusick and I are friends and he does a great job with the junior sailcamp we have and would recommend it to anyone with young sailor wannabes.

We would welcome a raft up with you guys. We have a 35 C&C Haleakula (the principal volcano which makes up Maui....also Hawaiian for House of the Rising Sun). We are known for arriving at anchorage with the "Doors" playing.

We also travel to many of the same cruising areas you have mentioned. Wharton, Swan Creek, Eagles Nest on the Magothy ( we stay clear of Dobbins), anywhere on the Chester especially Cackaway. One of our friends has twin small children like Chef's also and travels with them on a Catalina 34 out of the club.

Lets get together sometime.

Dave