SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Crossing the Bar into Rock Hall (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/36352-crossing-bar-into-rock-hall.html)

wbickle 08-26-2007 02:03 PM

Crossing the Bar into Rock Hall

When crossing Swan Point Bar towards Rock Hall, we follow the range lights in to the lower light. From there, things get a little antsy.

To which side do you veterans of the crossing take the light? Where do you go from there?

Bill

Sapperwhite 08-26-2007 03:30 PM

I round "G3" when coming from the north. Some say you can cross at the lights, but I'm not in that much of a hurry to test it.

freddy4888 08-27-2007 02:06 AM

I second that advice

deniseO30 08-27-2007 02:35 PM

I know one thing

I'll never ever try to get in the RH at night again! Sheese! Don't know how but the next morning we checked our gps trail and we apparently did come in ok and left about the same route.. (from the south I think it was) woulda shoulda coulda stopped at fairley creek :D

Sapperwhite 08-27-2007 03:45 PM

If you aren't comfy going into Rock Hall proper at night, you could always go just north and anchor, or grab a mooring, in Swan Creek.

SailorMitch 08-27-2007 08:36 PM

I sail out of the Patapsco and go to Swan Creek at least once a year. I line up those range lights and follow them across the bar, even at low tide. I've never had a problem and I sail a winged-keel boat that draws 4'2". Seems to me that the area "safe" for crossing is rather large because lots of folks have their own theories and they all seem to work.

Sapperwhite 08-27-2007 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailorMitch (Post 185137)
I sail out of the Patapsco and go to Swan Creek at least once a year. I line up those range lights and follow them across the bar, even at low tide. I've never had a problem and I sail a winged-keel boat that draws 4'2". Seems to me that the area "safe" for crossing is rather large because lots of folks have their own theories and they all seem to work.

How close to you stay to range lights? Do you stay inside the "cable area"? I have a 4' draft also, but still feel uneasy about getting stuck out there so I opt to go around. Its not like grounding in some creek where you have some protection, you'd be out there pretty far "high and dry" so to speak. I'd hate to ground out there and get hit by an afternoon t-storm. However, if I can cut 3 NM off the trip that would be a good thing.

T37Chef 09-05-2007 10:32 PM

We just spent Sunday night in Swan Creek this past labor day weekend. (BTW...what a awesome sail back Monday!)

I also draw 4', and have always cut between the two range markers with no problems. A friend was in Swan creek this weekend as well, he draws 5' and cut just North of the tall (northern) range light with no issues.

As Sailor Mitch, I am coming out of the Patapsco River, my way point is the Red 2 marker south of the Green 1.

Where I have touched bottom was entering Swan Creek on the approach because we veered a bit to far to port :o

SailorMitch 09-05-2007 10:53 PM

Sapper -- Sorry I missed your question to me a week ago. As Chef sort of says, there's a lot of latitude in crossing that bar. If you draw 4 feet just cross on either side of those range lights (I've done it on both sides without any problem) and you'll be fine. If you want some insurance, pick a time to cross with a rising tide. Lots of folks have their own theories and all seem to work, so go for it. Incidentally, my sailing club is having a rendezvous on Swan Creek the weekend of Sept. 15 so I'll try to pay more attention to exactly where I cross. :)

Chef -- so you guys must have been coming back in when I saw you Monday? I was working on the boat and also got a late start that day. Sounds like I should've ignored my projects and headed out!

T37Chef 09-05-2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailorMitch (Post 188939)
Chef -- so you guys must have been coming back in when I saw you Monday? I was working on the boat and also got a late start that day. Sounds like I should've ignored my projects and headed out!

Thats right, we were just getting back. We would have stayed out longer but we had to be home to meet some friends...bummer. It was one of those awesome days on the bay, however you wouldn't have known it being in the marina (if that helps any) :D LOL. BTW...Your boat looks great. I am behind on my teak maintenance, so if you feel like it, feel free to do mine :D We finally got the new sail from Doyle, and getting used to using a furler and trimming the new sail, but overall very pleased. It was fun building the unit with Ken, he's trip. We cant point as well as before with the 155 hank-on sail but I think I can live with that?