Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007

wbickle is on a distinguished road
Crossing the Bar into Rock Hall

When crossing Swan Point Bar towards Rock Hall, we follow the range lights in to the lower light. From there, things get a little antsy.

To which side do you veterans of the crossing take the light? Where do you go from there?

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
I round "G3" when coming from the north. Some say you can cross at the lights, but I'm not in that much of a hurry to test it.
Old 08-27-2007

freddy4888 is on a distinguished road
I second that advice
Old 08-27-2007
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I know one thing

I'll never ever try to get in the RH at night again! Sheese! Don't know how but the next morning we checked our gps trail and we apparently did come in ok and left about the same route.. (from the south I think it was) woulda shoulda coulda stopped at fairley creek
Old 08-27-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
If you aren't comfy going into Rock Hall proper at night, you could always go just north and anchor, or grab a mooring, in Swan Creek.
Old 08-27-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
I sail out of the Patapsco and go to Swan Creek at least once a year. I line up those range lights and follow them across the bar, even at low tide. I've never had a problem and I sail a winged-keel boat that draws 4'2". Seems to me that the area "safe" for crossing is rather large because lots of folks have their own theories and they all seem to work.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 08-27-2007
Not So Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMitch View Post
I sail out of the Patapsco and go to Swan Creek at least once a year. I line up those range lights and follow them across the bar, even at low tide. I've never had a problem and I sail a winged-keel boat that draws 4'2". Seems to me that the area "safe" for crossing is rather large because lots of folks have their own theories and they all seem to work.
How close to you stay to range lights? Do you stay inside the "cable area"? I have a 4' draft also, but still feel uneasy about getting stuck out there so I opt to go around. Its not like grounding in some creek where you have some protection, you'd be out there pretty far "high and dry" so to speak. I'd hate to ground out there and get hit by an afternoon t-storm. However, if I can cut 3 NM off the trip that would be a good thing.
Old 09-05-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
We just spent Sunday night in Swan Creek this past labor day weekend. (BTW...what a awesome sail back Monday!)

I also draw 4', and have always cut between the two range markers with no problems. A friend was in Swan creek this weekend as well, he draws 5' and cut just North of the tall (northern) range light with no issues.

As Sailor Mitch, I am coming out of the Patapsco River, my way point is the Red 2 marker south of the Green 1.

Where I have touched bottom was entering Swan Creek on the approach because we veered a bit to far to port

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Sapper -- Sorry I missed your question to me a week ago. As Chef sort of says, there's a lot of latitude in crossing that bar. If you draw 4 feet just cross on either side of those range lights (I've done it on both sides without any problem) and you'll be fine. If you want some insurance, pick a time to cross with a rising tide. Lots of folks have their own theories and all seem to work, so go for it. Incidentally, my sailing club is having a rendezvous on Swan Creek the weekend of Sept. 15 so I'll try to pay more attention to exactly where I cross.

Chef -- so you guys must have been coming back in when I saw you Monday? I was working on the boat and also got a late start that day. Sounds like I should've ignored my projects and headed out!

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 09-05-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMitch View Post
Chef -- so you guys must have been coming back in when I saw you Monday? I was working on the boat and also got a late start that day. Sounds like I should've ignored my projects and headed out!
Thats right, we were just getting back. We would have stayed out longer but we had to be home to meet some friends...bummer. It was one of those awesome days on the bay, however you wouldn't have known it being in the marina (if that helps any) LOL. BTW...Your boat looks great. I am behind on my teak maintenance, so if you feel like it, feel free to do mine We finally got the new sail from Doyle, and getting used to using a furler and trimming the new sail, but overall very pleased. It was fun building the unit with Ken, he's trip. We cant point as well as before with the 155 hank-on sail but I think I can live with that?

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.