Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Annapolis to Norfolk

What is the best way to sail from Annapolis to Norfolk? Go for 24 hours non-stop or do an overnight (or two?). If overnighting - what would be good anchorages to stay in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
One question for you to answer is how much time do you have for the trip? I did that trip a few years ago (except south to north) in 3 legs -- Norfolk to Deltaville, then to Solomon's, then Annapolis. Both D-ville and Solomon's have several good anchorages if you want to do it that way.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 10-13-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I did Solomons to Deltaville to Hampton. One day for each. If you're ready for a marina stop by then (like a real shower), the Hampton Public Piers are the cheapest around if you're a BoatUS member ($1.25). The Costeau Society is right there as well as numereous resturuants.

If you take the Dismal Swamp Route (if you're going on south) lock openings are at 9am and 3am at both ends. You can tie up at the NC vistors center also, as well as pick up a free Florida and NC cruising guide there.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2007
Sea Slacker

According to latest news dismal swamp route is closed until further notice due to low water levels. In any case I am trying to go down south as fast as I can, so it will probably be Albemarle canal (or whatever it's name is).

Where are the good anchorages at Solomons and D-ville? I definitely would be ready for the marina at Norfolk
Old 10-13-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
According to latest news dismal swamp route is closed until further notice due to low water levels. In any case I am trying to go down south as fast as I can, so it will probably be Albemarle canal (or whatever it's name is).

Where are the good anchorages at Solomons and D-ville? I definitely would be ready for the marina at Norfolk
Brak --

Solomons has 2 main creeks--Broad and Mill -- plus a couple of smaller creeks and coves branching off from them. I prefer to anchor in Broad Creek because it's closer to restaurants, marinas, grocery store, gas docks, etc. But if you don't plan to go ashore either has good places to drop the hook. If you want to stay in a marina, I like Spring Cove on Broad Creek.

D-ville can be reached from 2 sides, more or less. From the Rappahonnock there's a dredged channel into (you guessedit) Broad Creek that more or less is the main part of the town. From the Piankatank River, Jackson Creek has some good anchorages. It's just before you get to Stove Point.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 10-13-2007
Sea Slacker

Yikes, both creeks in D-ville look awfully shallow on my chart. Will I be ok with 5' draft? What about that Fishing Bay just south-west of there?
Old 10-13-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Brak...you will be fine on either creek...it is shoal but reliably deep. Fishing bay is a greatr little place and I think it is the best place to stop in D'ville if you have the time to go to the piankatank side.
I agree that Spring Cove is nice in Solomon's.
In norfolk, you can anchor off hospital point at mile 0 of the ICW OR...go to Tidewater Yacht Agency which is the best marina there. (Ferries run across the river into Norfolk town center if you need to go there.)
Since you are heading this way...check the latest bridge schedules and closures here:
http://www.hamptonyc.com/intercoasta...idge_sched.htm

I like to be right at mile zero in the AM so I can get an early start and not have to wait for the bridges to open after rush hour.
Old 10-14-2007
Sea Slacker

Looks like it may be best to start going from Norfolk on Saturday - all those restricted bridges should be open?
Old 10-14-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
We made Hospital Point from Coinjock on the way north, and Coinjock to Mile 100 on the Alligator River. I agree on Spring Cove at Solomons, if you go back up Broad Creek to Red 8 there is bit of a basin, and you can dinghy to the Holiday Inn. I use Fishing Bay at D-ville.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 10-14-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Brak..yeah Weekends are better for the bridges...but you still may have to wait at some of the bridges for 1/2 hour or hourly openings. Note the milelage between bridges...you have to put the hammer down on a couple to make the next opening or you may have to sit for an hour and wait.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.