Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007

NTitledII is on a distinguished road
Depth Problems in North East River Channel

Having trouble with the channel depth leading in to North East, MD.

We have been boating on the upper bay for over 10 years, keeping our boat at Tidewater Marina in Havre de Grace and now at the wonderful new concrete floating docks at North East River Yacht Club. While we draw 6' (our previous boat drew 5'7") we are always aware of the tides and choose to travel the North East River channel within an hour of either side of high tide.

Generally, we have only had 'trouble' in one area for several years where the channel has been shoaling in at a rapid rate. Heading North, between the Red 6, Green 7 and Red 8 just off Sandy Cove, with the worst spot half way between Green 7 and Red 8.

On Sunday, as we were coming up the channel at high tide, we dragged through the mud at this location and saw a depth reading of only 5 feet. While we were able to power through, sailing friends of ours later reported that they were stuck in this same location for several hours with a depth showing only 3 feet!!!

Question/Discussion: Who is responsible for keeping the channel waterways open and with a mean low tide of 6 feet. To whom can we report these problelms and will any one listen?

Regards,
The Taylors
s/v N'Titled2
Wauquiez Centurion 40S
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
The strong N/NW winds Sunday blew water down the bay causing very low "tides" as it were. Saturday I had to step up slightly to get on my boat in the slip (Rock Creek off the Patapsco). Sunday I had a step down of at least 2 feet to get onto my boat. This will happen whenever there is a prolonged, strong wind out of the north on the Chesapeake. Likewise a strong south wind can push water up the bay and cause higher than normal water levels. Note the word "mean" in your mean low tide of 6 feet -- that's notice to all that water levels can be lower than what is shown.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 10-29-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Sailor Mitch is right...I bumped the bottom several times going over Swan Creek bar and never have before.
Old 10-29-2007

NTitledII is on a distinguished road
Thank you, we definately understand the wind to tide ratio.

The question was to whom do we contact about the increasing problem of this channel shoaling in??? Even on no wind days, with no significant low tide deviation, this part of the channel is still a foot and a half below charted depths and a constant problem.

Is it the Coast Guard? The Maryland Department of Natural Resources?

The Bt's
Old 10-29-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Dnr

I think you contact the DNR.

Here is a PDF from their site with relevant info: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/grantsandloans/wipintro.pdf
Old 10-30-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
The strong north wind drained the upper bay, I haven't seen the water that low in Havre de Grace before.
Old 10-30-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I was on the Sassafras last weekend and the wind was blowing up the river. Coupled with a full moon we had very high tides. I don't even recall it going out much. It seemed like all of the upper bay blew up the Sassafras!