Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Suggestions for a dinghy for Bay chartering?

Hi all,
I live near the Chesapeake Bay, and charter regularly. We're working towards our own boat, but for this season at least, we're chartering again. We have a two-week trip coming up in a few months. In the past, I've rented dinghies from the charter company, which was less than great. Usually, they are hardshells, undersized, and just not very practical for towing or even rowing in a chop.

I'd really like to get a hold of an inflatable for our trip this year, either by renting one or buying a used one cheap. Any ideas on where I could rent? Or even well-traveled classifieds for used inflatables? I really would like to have the additional stability. We plan to anchor out most of the time, so a dinghy is essential. Thanks so much for your help!
-J
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2008
Liveaboard Cruiser

kenalewis is on a distinguished road
I would think a roll-up inflatable in the 9 foot range would suit your needs, with a 6 hp outboard. You might see if any local Yacht Clubs have 'for sale' postings on their websites, those are a good place to pick up used stuff at reasonable prices.
Old 04-09-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
hold that thought, 'cuz we're going to be advertising our old 9-1/2' roll-up "reflateable" as soon as the new RIB we bought is delivered (target date 21 April, according to the company)
Old 04-15-2008
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka View Post
hold that thought, 'cuz we're going to be advertising our old 9-1/2' roll-up "reflateable" as soon as the new RIB we bought is delivered (target date 21 April, according to the company)
Hi Eryka,
Are you still considering selling your inflatable? I still may be interested. I haven't found a solution, and a used inflatable would be perfect for occassional the occassional chartering we do. Please let me know (will also PM you, just in case you don't see this thread).
Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-16-2008
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Hi Jim,

The *moment* we take delivery on our new RIB, the previous dinghy is for sale, $400. However, there are 2 caveats. I'm posting this publically so others on this board can chime in (dangerous, I know )

It's an old Avon hypalon dinghy, and had a slow leak. We brought it to Apex in Annapolis and they put sealant inside the tubes. It worked *extremely* well, the dinghy holds air for a couple of weeks without topping up. However (here's my caveat) we just inflate it and keep it inflated. Usually we tow it. We only deflate it and roll it up once or twice a season for longer passages. I don't know how many inflate-deflate-roll up-reinflate-etc cycles it can go before it needs resealing.

The second caveat may not be an issue for your intended use. Using this kind of dinghy for slow-speed activities, like going from boat to shore or gunkholing, is fine. However, the softer floor of a rollup gets squirrely - stability is compromised - at planing speeds. This was our prime reason for switching to a RIB. I'll try to get some photos for you this weekend. - J.E.

Last edited by eryka; 04-17-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-17-2008

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
We have an aluminum rigid bottom AB inflatable or RIB...which I love. We chose it because it's light enough for me to haul up on the cabin top when I leave the boat and yet very stable. We chose the length by what would fit on our boat from mast out and still have plenty of room to stand for anchoring and docking. Our neighbors have one of the "foldable" dinks and love it. The RIB rows fairly well, and like I said, is very stable. Which was important for me because I use it to zip back and forth from boat to downtown Annapolis all the time. Or buy the one from JE above! Sounds like a good deal.