SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Chesapeake Bay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/)
-   -   Need some immediate marina advice - Urgent (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/chesapeake-bay/42099-need-some-immediate-marina-advice-urgent.html)

alan_21_us 04-09-2008 07:39 AM

Need some immediate marina advice - Urgent

Hi - I am in the midst of looking for a marina in the upper chesapeake bay. I live outside of Phila and do not want a very long commute, but want nice sailing grounds.

I need to know which marina and rivers you would recommend. The draft on the boat is 3' 10" with the CB up.

All help is welcome. I am new to sailing in this area.

Alan

daydreams 04-09-2008 08:19 AM

Georgetown / Galena on the Sassafras is nice.

SailorMitch 04-09-2008 09:37 AM

Tolchester, or Rock Hall area on Eastern Shore. Middle River (Bowley's is one) on the western shore.

SVAuspicious 04-09-2008 11:50 AM

Lots of Philly people in Rock Hall. Traffic is usually better getting to the Eastern Shore than the West side.

teshannon 04-09-2008 04:50 PM

I spent last season at Skipjack Cove Marina on the Sassafras River. Georgetown Yach Basin is right there also. Both are very nice full service marinas. It takes about 1 3/4 hours to get there from Philly and the traffic is never bad. The problem is that it takes an hour to motor out to the bay and once you get there you'll find it a bit narrrow and little wind in July and August. I think, as was recommended above, Rock Hall is a better choice. It will add about 1/2 hour each way to your driving time but you'll be on the bay quicker and see more wind. There is Haven Harbor and a few other marinas at Rock Hall. They may be full so you need to contact them pretty quickly. Good luck.

alan_21_us 04-09-2008 08:12 PM

thanks

I will take all of these into consideration. Hopefully the deal on the boat will come through. I am trying to get it all set-up, so I am ready to go. I am going to sailing associates in georgetown tomorrow.

Alan

teshannon 04-09-2008 08:38 PM

Alan,
Good luck. While you're there take a look at Georgetown YB and Skipjack. My boat is on B dock at Skipjack at the moment. "Orion" with blue canvas and boot stripe.

Bob351 04-10-2008 07:28 AM

Castle Harbor Marina

Check out Castle Harbor Marina. We travel from Reading, PA and find the trip to Kent Narrows equal to the trip to Rock Hall. The Chester River and the Eastern Bay are great. Mention our name and we will both get a discount.

mltroy 04-10-2008 07:41 AM

We were on the western shore for a while but switched to the Eastern Shore because of the I-95 traffic. The sailing will be better from Worton Creek south. Marinas I like a lot are Worton Creek Marina, Spring Cove Marina in Rock Hall (though you have to overwinter elsewhere - no winter storage) and Swan Creek Marina. The nice thing about Rock Hall is that you are right there on the Bay and well located if you want to go north, south or west. Lankford Bay on the Chester is nice but if you want to go places like Annapolis you have to sail down the Chester first but there always seems to be good sailing in the Chester River.

teshannon 04-10-2008 08:23 AM

mltroy,
Welcome to Sailnet, glad to have you with us.