Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Chesapeake / Central US east coast > Chesapeake Bay
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I'll add a second vote for Onancock, VA as worth a visit and a town you can easily walk around to see, shop, eat and drink.

I've yet to visit Tangier by boat but its on the list. I visit there several times a season via private plane and have always wanted to spend a couple of days there. Bring your own booze as my understanding is that no alcohol is sold on the island.

Also, we keep our boat at Deltaville and like it, not in spite of it being "deadsville", but BECAUSE it IS "deadsville". We live much closer to Deale/Annapolis, but we want our boat to be a respite from the rat race of the NOVA/DC area. There are nice marinas both on the Rappahannock and Piankatank sides of Deltaville and sailboats seem to dominate. There are far fewer powerboats to rock you rock you with their wake and you rarely see or hear a jet ski down there. If you want to anchor out, Fishing Bay offers a really scenic anchorage. If you need provisons or want to go out to eat though Deltaville is not Foot Transit Authority friendly since its all spread out,

Last edited by PalmettoSailor; 06-25-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2008
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thanks for all the tips everyone! We're back, safe and sound, a bit sad to be back but no regrets!

We had a awesome family week on the boat, I will post pictures soon. We didn't have much of a plan ( other than how I packed the icebox) so we took it easy and didn't push it much except for our trip from St Mary's to St Michaels (97 miles or something, could that be right

Anyway, we made it to Oxford, Solomons, St Mary's City (Horseshoe Bend) & St Michaels.

I really wanted to get to Tangier Island for the first time, but we opted to tour historic St Mary's City instead, oh well...next time!

On our next trip South I hope we can rendezvous with some sailnetters.

We can talk about the Potomac and its washing machine effect

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-05-2008
"Mentally Unbalanced"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailKing1 View Post
Chef, not sure how far down your coming but the James river is interesting. You can anchor of Williamsburg and the Navy Ghost Fleet is a site. There is also a book "Cruising the Chesapeake - A gunkholers guide" which is extremely informative. Well worth the $40.00 if your cruising the bay.
Thats a hike for us, I was contemplating a night sail down the bay but wimped out with the kids aboard, besides there is so much crap to navigate around in the bay, I did'nt want the stress.

BTW I am proud to say the even without a working depth gage I did not hit bottom once, of course we only draw 4'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-06-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Way to go Chef....!

Sorry I missed you on this trip... I cruised to St. Michaels on Mon/Tue. That was my first time there...enjoyed it.

For future cruising ideas... I wanted to put a vote in for Cape Charles. Neat little town... and if I'm correct, I believe that Hinkley will be building a plant there soon.

Also there is a cool Irish Pub. Which puts any port of call over the top for me! (Nice new rebuilt marina too...) The approach is a bit long... If I remember correctly you have to come in from the South.

I leave for Poland again tomorrow.. but I'll be back in about 3 weeks or so... see you out there!

I love
Old 07-06-2008

landlockvasailor is on a distinguished road
Next time down the Bay

If you go to Deltaville and tie up at Fishing Bay Marina, Debbie and her husband Ron may have a car availabe. Deltaville is dead, but two good restuarants. The Galley and what used to be called the Red Sky. By the way there are two West marine stores there.

If you want to be in a working boat yard, go up the Mobjack to Severn river. Shallow, but Holiday Marina did have 4' mlw when I had a boat there. Most of the folks were watermen. Good people.

Off the York River on Sarah Creek, York River Yatch Haven has an excellent restaurant. They have a pool and nice store. Not much in the area except VIMS.

In Hampton, the Salt Ponds has a very nice marina. Good food, but expensive. Not close to downtown, would need car

Also, in Hampton, a much is the docks downtown near the museum. Like Solomons, everything within walking distance.

Onancock has a small city dock with slips, you will need a bike to get around.

But my favorite is Solomons having lived on a boat there for six months at Harbor Island Marina. Great people in Calvert county. After coming off boat, decided to move to Prince Frederick and lived there for six years.

Tom

Last edited by landlockvasailor; 07-06-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-07-2008
"Mentally Unbalanced"

Some pics of our trip...

Solomon's, Mill Creek, the sunset before a thunderstorm rolled through later that night.

The next morning we head out of Mill Creek to stay at Spring Cove Marina

The pool at Spring Cove

A view of the Calvert Maritime Museum in Solomons...a definite for anyone visiting Solomon's. The museum is very well done, allot more than I expected! Highlights were the River Otter Aquarium, the Kids Room which they had hands on things for the kids to do, see, and feel, and the numerous restorations & reproductions of classic Chesapeake boats.

A view of the bridge into Solomons from the boardwalk.

As we come up the St Mary's river, we pass Historic St. Mary's City Museum with a view of a reproduction cargo ship, as we head around the point to Horseshoe Bend where we anchor for the next two nights.

The next day we dingy'ed in to shore and enjoyed touring all the sites. I would mention that you should bring lunch with you, there's not many places with-in walking distance other than the colleges dining services.
Elizabeth & Olivia are partaking in some Colonial bowling...

watering the gardens the old way...

The picture is a little blurry I know...but what a beautiful sunset background for Elizabeth

The next morning is a long day sail from St Mary's to St. Michaels, a tour boat as we enter the anchorage off St Michaels...

where the hell are we...?????

Olivia enjoying a slide in St Michaels...

Irene & Elizabeth after enjoying some ice cream, a lucky guy I am...

Enjoying some eastern shore corn...

Well, thats it...a unforgettable week on the bay, we can't wait to do it again!
jameswilson29 likes this.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-07-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Great pics, good trip.

Last edited by chucklesR; 07-07-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: didn't realize it was a old post.
Old 07-08-2008

landlockvasailor is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing the pictures, I got home sick. I miss Maryland and the folks in Calvert county.

Tom
Old 07-09-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Chef--fantastic shots. Congrats on what was obviously a great trip. you are making me jealous!

Mitch

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 07-09-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Nice photos, Chef.

I wish I'd known you were in St. Michael's -- it sounds like we were both there at the same time!

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT